1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FLEENER?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by PSYCHOSTEELER, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    If FLEENER is there do ya take him. Considering it gives Ben a target and blocker. Look at what NE and NO have done with TE's. I also think if you can get a #1 rank at there position, at the 24th pick,you take him.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If I could vote a hundred more times, I would. Ben does not need a pass catching TE to block for him. He needs linemen to block for him. He does not need another TE out there when he doesn't fully utilize the one he has. He needs a better running game and better pass protection. Fleener offers neither, and there WILL be better players available at #24. Just because he's maybe the best tight end doesn't mean he's got value at #24. The best guard is often a 2nd rounder. The best kicker often a 6th rounder.

We have serious holes that can be filled with this pick. We're going to use it at a position where we don't need help? For a system that won't get the most out of him? We are not New England or New Orleans. Even if we were, I wouldn't support it with the holes we have. Overdrafting weapons like that is how you become the Colts.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep - maybe we pick up a TE later on for ****s and giggles, but it's not a pressing concern compared to other positions.

4. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Worst name ever!! I think god young talent at TE would be great though. Gives you alot of options and another safety net for Ben to reduce sacks. Heath is getting up there in age and is more of a blocker in my opinion, I think this guy could spell him very well. I just do not know if we the luxury to take him when we have some big holes on defense to fill.

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    As others have said, Ben needs protection. He has plenty of weapons. And I think the takeaway from the success of Gronk, Hernandez, Graham, Gates etc. should be that they can be found later in the draft. They were exceptional athletes that were molded into football players. So taking one so early seems unnecessary to me. I really like Evan Rodriguez from Temple, and we could get him in round 3 or 4.

I really like Fleener as a prospect, it's just we have too many other needs. The ONLY way I'd be happy with him, is if we're going to actually structure our offense to USE him. If we swapped him for Heath in our offense of late, it'd piss me off because it'd be a total waste of a pick.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if ben lets the ball fly , he won't need as much protection. it's pretty simple. i also think with heath,saunders and will johnson instead of david johnson, we could have the best TE bunch in the league. :cool:

7. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    This is also true. It's also why I was disappointed that we let TE Bobby Blizzard go a few years back. With a name like that, the guy was obviously a Marvel superhero in his spare time.

8. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A while ago, one of the so-called experts had a mock, and said we should take Fleener.
    I thought, 'Does this person know anything about the teams he's mock drafting for??'

In our position, I woudn't take him if he was available at #2, maybe, maybe #3, though that won't happen.

Heck, might as well take Tannehill at #1, though, thankfully, he's being way over-inflated(hopefully) and goes before our pick.

9. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Putting this as a poll may have been a bad idea, psycho...

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hell no too many other holes to fill need to fix o-line nt and Ilb and secondary. Fleener will be gone before the 24th pick.

11. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Name sounds like pickin a booger and FLEENERIN it on a wall
    This is why I usually go off line till the draft but, TTF did such a good job making this board, I hang around anat!

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    While I think he may be the best pass-catching option in this draft after Blackmon, we just don't have the space for him, and as HugeSnack mentioned, our QB doesn't even use the TE that he already has. I would normally consider drafting him to prepare for the future, like we sometimes do, but he's a receiving TE and we don't need that.

13. PSYCHOSTEELER

Nov 22, 2011
    Was just think-in, maybe I shouldn't .

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    PROBABLY THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE WILL BE NOT A NT ILB OR A OLINE ,unless you like adams or hightower , so or we reach for somebody or we trade down or we take another position of less need , barron , fleener ,gilmore

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The problem is putting Fleener in there like he or his position belongs. It's not like after NT, ILB, and OL, all other positions are equal. CB and S are legit needs, although not pressing. To take anyone in the first round means you expect him to be a starter, not a role player. With Heath Miller on the team, we won't need a new starting tight end for 5 years. We're going to draft his replacement now? That's insane. Why not draft Woodley's replacement in the first round too?

............OL, ILB, NT
    ............S, CB
    ............DE, QB, RB, WR
    ............OLB, TE

I would consider taking a receiving type like Fleener to fill the Saunders role if we don't want Saunders anymore, but not until at least the 4th, if that.

16. PSYCHOSTEELER

Nov 22, 2011
    hey guys I was just sayin, if he is the best at his postion why not plus its not a BA offense no more and we could run more double TE's sets to run or pass and keep the defense's guessing.

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Theoretically true, but I think not using a TE in our offense is more of a product of Ben than it was BA. Both were guilty, but the guy making the final decision of where to place the ball was/is Ben. I could justify taking Fleener in the first if we lose Wallace, but I don't see it happening.

Nothing wrong with "just sayin"! Keep the relevant scenarios coming; gives us something to debate!

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i know we will lose saunders for 4 games but i still think the kid is going to be a talent to be reconed with before it's over. he's a big load to cover and just that catch in the back of the EZ last year shows he's got athletic talent. it will only get better. :cool: