1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Flacco Fined $7500 For Horsecollar Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Joe Sacco was fined $7500 for a horsecollar tackle during Sunday's Seahawks game. Troy was recently issued a 15k fine for that very same thing. Gotta love the subjectivity in the league's present penalty system.

http://burgh.us/a03

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's clear that Goodell is a moron and doesn't know what the hell he is doing.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I vaguely remember Troy getting called for that, but don't have the mojo to track it down and look at it. I got a good look at Flacco's though, this week. Yeah, it was a horse collar. But not a big one. In fact, it was kind of a weak tackle overall. He didn't pull the guy down violently, and he let go of the guy's collar after a sec. It was a penalty, and they called it. Enough.

It really is only a matter of time before holding penalties and PI draw fines.

4. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Goodell might start fining teams for running the ball too much, kneeling down at the end of the game and kicking FGs instead of trying to go for TDs.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't forget rushing the passer, trying to knock down passes, and tackling!

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm definitely not a Joe fluncco supporter. But fining a QB for a horse collar?!?!?. That is just nuts. You gotta give a QB a little more leeway on that. Especially after they just threw a pick. Goddell..... bad for the game...

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Typical league bias against the Steelers. They don't even try to hide it.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yep whatever the normal fine is...its double for the steelers

9. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I disagree. It's painfully clear that these fines aren't going away so there needs to be consistency in the rules, their understanding, the enforcement and the fines. I don't see any sense in a player getting a fine based on the position he plays.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually do see some sense in it. A QB doesn't tackle very often. He doesn't practice it throughout the week and he likely didn't grow up tackling either. A QB doesn't know how to tackle (the football sense of the word), he only knows how to attempt to get someone down any way he can. To me, that's a factor that should go into determining whether to fine a player or not. Personally I don't want to see any fines, but if there is going to be some, things like that need to be taken into consideration. There should still be a flag on the field regardless of position, but I disagree with fining a QB for a horse collar unless it was blatant and vicious.

11. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    So what about punters or kickers? Are they treated like QBs since they probably aren't taught how to tackle? What if a RB takes a pitch and then throws a pass that gets picked off and he horsecollars someone? Is he given more leeway since he is a QB or does he get treated like a non-QB offensive player which is apparently different than a defensive player?

Blatant and vicious are too subjective just like intent. The horsecollar rule doesn't specify anything about an offensive player, defensive player or special teams player.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    goodell did make it possible this year for the qb to just stand there and not be touched on int. returns. if he's gonna make a play , he should be able to be fined. they should fine the guy that let the qb tackle him. :shock: :cool: