1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing this D: down the middle is the answer

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jan 31, 2018.

1. xplatformjedi

xplatformjedi Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Inside linebacker is the most glaring need on the defensive side of the ball, followed by having a better safety (either F or S) to free up Davis.

If you're stuck with Sean Spence as a starting linebacker you deserve to drop 45 points on Jacksonville.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    ILBs are no good without beef in front of them, even Ray Lewis needed quality DTs or he was lacking.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That narrative is false. We gave up 100 yards rushing 2 times in the first 11 games with Shazier, giving up 6 rushing TD’s. The last 6 (Shazier was injured early in thre Bengals gam), we gave up 100 yards rushing 4 times, surrendering 10 rushing TD’s.

We were SIGNIFICANTLY worse in the run department on defense from the second Shazier left the field. We actually were a solid unit prior to that point (only Chicago and Jax were exceptions).

We aren’t in base enough to justify grabbing a 2 down run suffer at any point in the first half of the draft. We’d be better off finding a replacement for what Shazier could bring to the unit. Until we do that, we will continue to get gashed in the run game whether we get a good NT or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Get a beast at NT or this D cannot stuff the rush.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There is no doubt that the middle of this D needs fixed. Honestly, I don't think Dupree is nearly as bad as people talk about with him. Watt is going to be a player. Our D Ends are very good and signed for a few years. The corners seemed to have been solidified despite it still having mental lapses (we forget Burns was raw when drafted and in only his 2nd year, and Haden didn't have any camp with the team). The S position needs fixed. The ILB position needs fixed. The NT position needs an additional guy who can help play there to replace McCullers on the roster. Does he need to be a top 3 round pick? No, but if we can find an upgrade to the position, I would do so.

Needs as I see them:
    S - Free or Strong - you move Davis to the other after you take the best guy in the draft you can
    ILB - You might actually need 2 guys. Shazier is probably done and we have no real backup for the position.
    NT - Depth guy only. Hargrave is going to get better this offseason.

WR - We only have 3 really and one of those isn't stable and could get suspended at any moment. We will probably draft a guy and get a UFA.
    RB - Not sure what the focus should be here. Do we look for Bell's replacement or is that Conner? What kind of complement does Conner need if he is the man? Too many questions at this position for me.
    Oline - I think the starters are pretty well set, even with Foster's replacement, but we could always use some depth especially if Hubbard leaves.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dupree isn't terrible, but he definitely isn't a great pass rusher. He still takes too wide of an arc to the QB.

Even if our OLB drop you still need pressure from the edge.

Didn't he play ILB in college? Maybe that is a better fit for him?

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I've said that before about moving Dupree to the middle. He's got better speed than anyone else we may draft or have now, plus he's bigger. Then draft Sam Hubbard from Ohio state to team with TJ. :cool: