1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing this D: down the middle is the answer

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jan 31, 2018.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think a lot of people are over reacting to the end of the season, yeah we looked bad on D. Let's not forget we did lose our best defensive player and replaced him with a couch potato....lmao! Getting rid of cinder block Mitchell alone is a vast improvement and actually getting a player that will produce there is even better. We now will have time to fix ILB and them two spots alone will improve us a ton, jmo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. stompin69

stompin69 Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Funny that you call me a keyboard cowboy...does that qualify you as a keyboard clown that spends time being a moderator of a forum?

The original post was about needing a NT and why we needed one... post two.. you say he won't do any good on the sidelines, and you have been spewing the same BS about when we play nickel. How did Brady do against us or anybody with extra dbs?

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We got run on late in the year for two reasons.... 1. With Shazier out our LBers not named Vince Williams were the hottest of hot garbage. 2. Our safeties compounded the problem and were lukewarm garbage

Run stuffing NT is not a need for us. We’re not in base enough to justify that pick. Won’t be an impact player for us no matter how good they are at it.

What we need is a rangy ILB similar to Shazier and a new FS. We also need Davis to step it up a notch or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I’m not a Davis hater by any means, but he would be a suuuuper trash FS. Putting him in open space like that on a consistent basis would be a disaster. He just needs to work on his angles so he completes more tackles.

Now if we could get a really good FS.... that would do a ton for us. Draft pick might not be impact enough right away. Tre Boston in FA? Who knows

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    *sigh* I know, you're so cool and tough you think rules dont apply to you.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Man we need so many players on defense:

1 OLB (Possibly 2 if they move on from Dupree, but frankly you can never have too many)
    2 ILBs (Replacement for Shazier, and a back up you actually trust)
    2 Safties (Mitchell Replacement, and a backup assuming Wilocox is gone)
    2 DT (Replacement for McCullers, maybe a second if you decide to go more of a 4-3)

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

We do not need so many players. We need the right players overall. The issue with this defense has been the scheme itself all season; Keith Butler's tenure no less.

Good defensive coordinators focus on a singular player for an entire playbook to assist any mitigating issues or mask deficiencies and/coverages. Great defensive coordinators build around an entire defense with the talent they have and use their best players or even "the guy" as force multipliers to increase the level of success within the playbook itself.

In short? The scheme and personnel dictate and can ensure success; a singular entity accomplishing the antipodean of that.

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017

No, the worst safeties in the entire league is not lukewarm garbage; it's hot and steaming garbage, on a late afternoon in August outside a seafood joint.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...ering-moving-sean-davis-fs-mitchell-released/

this was what i was thinking as well. move davis to FS. he has speed and range. he had 3 picks plus led us in tackles on the season. get him out of the box. lets see what bradley can do with his tackling. i think davis can make this move and thats where he should have been playing. i'd also add brian allen to the safety spot and in the nickle and dime sub packages use 3 safeties at times to help the run and have guys with size and speed to help against the pass when we have 6 DB's on the field. :cool:

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk Mac he may have speed and the range that comes with it but I don't trust his eyes and his instincts and his tackling ability in space. I've seen quite a few too many times where Davis has had deep responsibility and lost his man in coverage. I would be all for experimenting with Allen because of his even greater speed and his experience as a former WR. Even with that I'm hoping we can find a true FS either in the draft /FA or both...

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Davis is faster than Allen. Allen and Davis both played safety in college. Both played corner in college. Let's see what our new DB coach can do with guys that have experience on this team and on this defense first. I do agree about a new safety being brought in but as an addition to what we have. I think we will be farther ahead with less teaching to learn the defense with this approach. We used to play some of these 3 safety looks before but I think we lost the effectiveness of the players we had at the position, now we have the athletes and coach to help it work. We need these type of players that have ball skills and speed and can tackle. That in itself will bolster the run game defense too.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Davis scares me as an open field tackler. Just doesn't seem very good at it.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason Bradley will be one of the best hires since Mike Munchak.

A defensive backs coach who loves fundementals and tackling? Just what the doctor ordered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I remember when RB's we're no longer a priority. That lasted for like a minute. Teams are Running the ball.
    Draft a true NT!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Being on the practice squad doesn't always mean you're the next in line on the depth chart. Sometimes they see potential in a player and keep him on the PS and see if he can develop. He's cheap and doesn't count towards the salary cap. A player like Spence is a bigger cap hit that's why they didn't run out and sign him when he was first cut.
    It comes down to $ in a lot of cases and how it relates to the salary cap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh Gleen. Do not get me wrong. Nose tackles are still needed in todays game. The issue is that their value will no longer be what it once was. Too many different sub packages to exploit their weaknesses.

Essentially, the current "nose tackles" of the league in the likes of Fletcher Cox or even Cameron Heyward need to do more than just simply maintain the point of attack. Within that same vein, obtaining those types of players are quite difficult.

17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    What scares me is how Jags were able to run outside for big chunks of yardage because we were too slow to get there.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Way too many missed tackles the last couple of years. We had guys in position to make plays a lot against the run and they didn't make the tackle. This part of the defense needs fixing first and foremost.

I'm also not ready to give up on guys like fort yet. Our coaches need to give some of these backups some field time during the year and if they are needed, it's not such a big adjustment for them.

It's difficult to play ST only for a few years and then be thrown to the lion's on a moment's notice. We also save just a little wear and tear on our starters during a long season. It doesn't have to be long stretches of time but at least a few plays a week. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You are right but as we just seen it couldn't have been worse to give him a shot. IMO guys are on the PS to develop and if they can't develop then they don't need to be there and get someone else. To think not one team was willing to give Spence a chance even at vet min to be a back up should tell us a lot. Vet min is not a lot for a back up player, $ was not an issue I think performance and I think his past injuries are to blame for that. He has had a lot of them and was a good story his last year here to overcome but I think it all caught up with him. You think I hate this kid your wrong I hate his play cause it stinks and I will call it out........ jmo

20. dj внιndι

dj внιndι Member

Dec 19, 2017

Run D was not that much better with shazier. The NT was getting pushed away and allowing the rb to not be touched until 5 yards past line. We need the ability to plug someone to help us in that department. Agreed we need mlbs too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah in like every thread.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And as long as others keep bringing it up I will keep doing it, if you notice I do not bring it up I only comment on it, which by the way you are not pointing out like you are me. And really Mr. Message Board Policeman if it bothers you feel free to pass it on by or better yet the ignore button is available as well. I do not force you to read it nor do I usually quote you on it. :smiley1:

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Don't get all butt hurt.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree.....the problem is it is difficult to find time in games for back ups when you play so many tight games that a bad play here and there could cost you. That's why I don't subscribe to the old,,win is a win and NFL talent level is on par so we should just be happy with the W. There are teams especially this past season that should of been blown out and if we had played to our potential ,would have been. Underpreparing and underperforming doesn't afford us that luxury. There is a trickle down effect to playing so many close games. I wasn't buying into the whole...these close games make us battle tested and better suited to play in tough close games . When it came down to crunch time in 2 of our biggest games all season, NE and Jacks.(play off) we still folded like a cheap suit.....bottom line to me is I'll take the positives that can come out of a blowout rather than what comes out of a tight game against a inferior opponent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am certainly not butt hurt, but don't think you needed to go there