1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing the D

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Oct 15, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    at this point I think we clearly have to do 2 things.

1 Bench Artie if you are not going to play him in press man coverage. He may be the worst corner playing zone coverage I have ever seen. Problem is with who? Sensabaugh is not a NFL starter. Sutton Or Allen probably still too raw. But whatever choices we have we need to try them because Artie is literally costing us games.

2 V Williams should only play in base run D. If I have to watch him try and cover anyone on third downs Then forget it. People will just exploit him he’s awful in coverage and we need to use Thomas or Fort or even Bostic in that role.

Fix those two issues and we may not be dead yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd go with Sutton in place of Burns. He had some nice pass defenses against TE yesterday.

Just wondering if Vincenzo can move out to OLB?

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Agree on Sutton don't know bout Vincenzo...

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Bring back a young Troy:) Seems in today's NFL the corner, no matter how great, gets burned. I grew up watching the 70's NFL when the defense didn't have it's hands tied and could play rough. Now it seems to be almost flag football.

I would have loved to see Heinz Ward play in the 70's. He would have been in a fight at least 5 times a game.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure I would want Vwilliams in on running plays either. The long run by Mixon was again him jumping the first gap he saw and letting Mixon have a clear lane in the spot he vacated. On the TB run by Mixon he waited too long to make a move and had a DL blocked back into him. He is a heck of a Thumper but when there is a need for smart play he just doesn't diagnose the play quick enough. Best example I have seen this year of a ILB do that was during the Texans/Cowboy game when Vander Esche waited to see how the RPO was going to play out, then shot the gap and exploded into the QB to bring the play to an end for no gain. VWill just runs to the gap and stops. I don't understand what Jerry O is teaching him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the Burnett injury is negating the move right now. It seems to me we have a surplus of Safeties that aren't really doing much.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bostic is now better then V Williams against the run, both are bad in pass protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Also agree with Sutton not sure on Vince at OLB, one thing for sure he should never cover in pass attempts.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Vander, jaylen, lee, Lawrence... Dallas has a lot of defensive studs. Hate it lol

10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup but it wouldn’t hurt to try Thomas lol

11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Could shazier cover tight ends?

12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Something I noticed about last nights 49ers @ Packers.
    It was the 49ers D line that was applying huge pressure that kept Rodgers off target almost all night.

So it really starts with the D line.
    The QB can’t be allowed to set his feet and throw.

A high pressuring D line will make the DBs appear better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I've been saying this. Our DBs haven't been horrible last two games either. Lots of chances for coverage sacks, missed. D-line has been alright last two games too but no where near "dominant"

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So maybe it’s not Peterson that is needed but getting the Beard to come back!

15. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    My three thoughts on how to 'patch' our defense up for the rest of the year..

1. Bring in N. Bowman, T.Hali, and Aldon Smith (all LB's) and sign one for the league min. for rest of season.. One of these three would help us some in coverage..

2. Trade a 3-5 rd pick for Pat. Peterson (safety)

3. Trade Bell for one of the following: Darron Lee (LB NYJ), Donte Jackson (CB-Car), Shaquill Griffin (S-Sea) or Trade Bell and a 2nd Rd pick for Tre Boston (ariz - S ) and a 3rd rd pick

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Someone has been buying what I have been selling!