1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitzpatrick Trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TRUCK, Dec 9, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Three brothers in one NFL game, first time since the 1920's.

• Like Like x 3
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Let's hope one if not 2 rises above!

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Davis is almost definitely gone. It will be Edmunds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Likely Edmunds.

Davis is 26 and has had his second shoulder injury within the past two seasons. Terrell does not have those same injury concerns. This is also factoring in Pittsburgh is likely to pool a good sum of money into Bud Dupree.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Terrell has played the position for only so long. Keep in mind that, historically speaking, Strong Safeties are not ball hawks by trade. In fact, I asked Jamal Adams this season and he told me he only has one total thus far. :eek:

Now, if Terrell were a Free Safety and have no interceptions?!?! That is a different story. My tune would change.... VERY QUICKLY. :@

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The lack of interceptions is only troubling because he has been in position for a few of them and just can't make the play. He also has a bad habit of turning passes that should fall incomplete into receptions or penalties due to his lack of ball skills, which have very little to do with his lack of experience at the position.

Adams is still making big plays and he has displayed the ability to get the job done in coverage, including knocking away balls when he is in position. The interception totals may look similar, but the level of play isn't even close between those two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Terrell does. Very similar skill set imo but Terrell seems to take better angles to the ball, barely though. I like Davis but not as a starter & I think Edmunds can be starter material just not the allpro that some are expecting.

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    As I was told on Twitter and I agree is Minkah being quiet is a reflection of his coverage skills and QBs not testing the area he roams.. Good enough for me.. Unless I go back through film I have to agree. THis is semi sorta similar to fans casting Joe Haden away after a few games where he was not involved so much. He has had two good comeback games

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Guess I'm just not that big on using 1st on safeties. But there is no doubt he's a good player. And hey, if we can get into the playoffs, anything can happen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Our choices of 1st round picks seems to be a hit and miss anyways. At least we know what we are getting. Ziggy Hood, Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns comes to mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get your point, but if the player is good enough, it can be worth it. The Steelers have done it twice since the turn of the century, trading for Fitzpatrick and trading up to draft Polamalu in the first. I assume we can agree that Polamalu was worth it. Fitzpatrick is working out well so far, too. Also, he filled a glaring need. Safety play was a problem even before Davis got hurt. Can you imagine that defense with Edmunds and Kelly as the starting safeties? We saw enough of that disaster against the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019

• Like Like x 3
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Edmunds is improving and because of minkah he is fine. I think he masks a lot of the back ends deficiencies. Edmunds can be a Chris hope/Clark kinda player to mink(troy) in that perspective

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Here is a good read about Minkah here from Football Outsiders. He does quite a bit for the defense. Other players are mentioned here as well.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2019/film-room-steelers-defense

A key component of this though is what Author Derrik Klassen states about playing a Tampa 2 based Cover 2 Defense.

"The Pittsburgh Steelers, perhaps quietly, are among that elite group with their own flare. The third-ranked overall defense and fourth-ranked pass defense per DVOA, the Steelers' identity can be attributed to how they send pressures and manipulate the middle of the field with their safeties, particularly from two-deep safety shells."

Safety play is essential when playing a defense that heavily relies on zone based schematics. Depending on the situation, the safeties themselves can make the difference between a good defense to a great one. Having the right safety combination though is critical here.

Minkah has been that missing piece. Nevermind his ever increasing camaraderie with the others. The fact that opposing QBs are simply not challenging the middle of the field highlights just how valuable Minkah is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Terrell will develop his ability to create turnovers. Just needs some more experience at playing the pass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1