1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

First shots fired at Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2022.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's the thing. We haven't even seen Canada's offence yet. Between a horrific Oline and Ben, we didn't get a glimpse of what Canada wants to do. That doesn't mean he'll be successful next year, but at least he'll get to put his best foot forward and we can judge him on that. I have a hard time judging him because Ben completely handcuffed him. They were like oil and water.

What I wonder is if Canada fails and is replaced, at what point does Tomlin start feeling the heat? That will be 4 different OC's now. How many more need to get fired before it starts to fall on the head coach?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm willing to go with Matt Canada for another season. The reason being is if we get a new OC it can be detrimental to our current QB situation. While I don't believe Canada has proven himself an offensive guru by NFL standards, I wonder how much of it had to do with Ben's arm strength and lack of OL protection. Hopefully, we can sure up the OL before we look for our next QB. We could be surprised by Rudolph or Haskins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, he has to catch them but as I pointed out, he isn’t the only one struggling with those and when the bulk of your offense is designed around 4.6 yards, maybe you are going to drop a few of those balls that come in fast and hard. No one catches every pass and he only dropped five in the regular season.

Maybe stop passing everything at the line of scrimmage and install a real offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One of the reasons though that you have an experienced veteran QB is so that when you run motion say Claypool going from right to left pre snap and his man mirrors that, you then realize it's man coverage and check to Muth chipping the LB or DE slide out to the seam or out route towards the sideline and make the defense pay. They just weren't doing that. The one yard passes were troubling but the lack of adjustments from Ben was just as troubling and undoubtedly people will claim he didn't have freedom to check the play which is total crap.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Canada's type of offense needs a mobile QB, Ben prevented a lot of Canada's plays. His hands were tied with the lamp post Ben standing back there. The young Ben would've been fine , not the old and beat up Ben .

Alot if Canada's plays has the QB rolling out, Ben couldn’t do that anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Guess You didn't watch. The Ravens game alone had 5 rollout in the 1st half.
    Rollout is designed (basic definition) for
    1. To get a Qb away from an area where the pass rush is being a problem.
    2. Because a Qb can't read a whole field ,and has 2 have it cut in half for them.
    3. Give the threat of a Qb running the ball.
    Of course other things have been built off of it since, but basically what it's for.
    Not something You really use on a Qb that can read the whole field even if they are fast. They can role out on their own if they want 2.
    It's a system for college Qbs, new Qbs or lesser Qbs.
    Also because of the Difference in hash marks from the College - the NFL makes it a big difference.
    Maybe someone should tell Canada this.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Maybe the HOF QB should have the offense built around him by the coordinator with college experience and not the other way around?

What if Ben isn't as bad as everyone thinks? Last year Ben was right on his career averages for yards, rating, TD % with lower than normal INT%.

I told everyone who would listen that the problem wasn't Fichnter last year, it didn't make sense to fire him, and that Canada would be worse so maybe that's just my confirmation bias.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Except that Fichtner was a problem last year as was Ben. Neither was the sole problem but both were part of it. Ben had become statuesque and favored shotgun because it involved less jarring to his knees. His accuracy had begun to suffer. You could tell that after he took shots to the lower body in the Dallas game that he was in pain. You could see when he got numbed up the Ben from5 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Out of 17 seasons Ben had his 4th best offensive output last year. I think 26 points per game is pretty good and would have taken that this year. I just differ from most other people on that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow i didn't realize that Ben having the top stats for his career was the team goal so yeah everyone else is the problem.

12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Points per game is a team goal. 416 points was only 20 fewer than Ben's best or just over 1 point per game.

I thought in that context Fichtner did well with a past prime Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    How'd the season end again?

• Like Like x 1
  14. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben's QBR over the past 5 years

2017 - 5th
    2018- 4th
    2019 - missed season
    2020 - 22nd
    2021- 25th

Stop it with Ben's passing numbers as most of that came from a 2 min huddle offense and/or when the opposing D loosened up because they were comfortably ahead. The Offense could not score in the 1st quarter of games with future hall of fame QB #7, he was/is done. Time to move on and judge Canada's offense with a QB who can run his style offense.

Do you think Ben in his last year was going to be the dog to learn new tricks? If you were Canada would you pull out your offense last year with an older line where the guards are roo slow or hurt to pull (a staple in his offense)? Would you pull out tricks this year knowing Ben A/ doesn't like pre snap motion B/ does not favor RPO C/ does not run play-action (again all staples of Canada's offense.
    I'm not sure if his offense will work at the pro level but I would least like to see in a game with personnel that can run it.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, but really the O line is always the key. Adjustments are hard to make when the D line is on your face right after the ball is snapped. Play action is impossible when your Rb is constantly getting at the line..or 2 yards behind the line. I'm not at all confident Canada's O can be productive in the NFL, but no O coordinator is going to have any success if we do not get their fixed, and this is a 3 year problem we have had.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This right here. Have to look at 2020 as a two part act. Act one: Ben looked good, offense was scoring, humming along to an 11-0 start.

Act two: The Dallas Demise, something happened to change Ben that game. The offense we saw this year was the same as the last 7 weeks of that season. It’s why I knew this season was lost after watching the Bills game. Despite winning, the Ben I saw was the same guy as the end of the 2020 season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Defensive collapse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    team collapse, but one of the best statistical season for Ben right:thumbs_up: and no losing season for Coach Tomlin thats something to hang one's hat on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't just the defense that collapsed. The offense was a mess down the stretch. They had one good half against the Colts, but otherwise, they struggled.

20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Mahomes went 30/39 for 404 yards 5 TD 1 INT 138.2 rating.

Sorry. You're not winning any games with the type of defensive collapse.

I haven't seen a defensive collapse like that since Leslie Frazier's Bills 1/23/2022.

Hmm. It's almost like the Tampa 2 is outdated and being shredded by top QBs. Dungy looking at his pupils giving up 782 yards 8 TD 1 INT in back to back games like...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    My post was a reference to 2020, not 2021. Please try harder to keep up.

That said, if you don't understand that offensive ineptitude can contribute to a defensive collapse, perhaps you need a little remedial instruction about the game.

22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    They all end in defensive collapse now. Hard to keep them straight.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see you are just going to deflect from the concept of offensive ineptitude contributing to a defensive collapse. Figures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    That primarily relates to field position. Chiefs got good field position off Harvin out kicking his coverage and the Harris fumble. The defense held the Chiefs there to 7 points. The rest were long drives.

Steelers allowed 6 long TD drives in a row. Somehow that is the offense's fault?!

Steelers ran more plays and were equal to KC in TOP. Fatigue? If only the Chiefs were human and were affected by fatigue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Build an offense for a QB who was going to retire within 2 seasons? ( ended up being 1 more) No! They should've moved on this year. New OC, New O-line coach, pretty much new O-line, same old QB who takes 5 mins to stand back up because he's so beat up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1