1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

First shots fired at Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I meant about Canada. Dale said He had 2 go.
    I hope I put up the right video. LoL.
    I was meaning Canada.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's really funny now after the game is over and so is the season, did we really think in his final season that Ben would be okay with Canada changing things on him? I sometimes think I tried to convince myself that it could work. Heck I'd have taken running BA's playbook for this game if it meant seeing Steeler football from years ago

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol oh, the way you worded it sounded like you were saying they agree with what our board member RockyBleier wrote about DJ.

Yes, you had the right video, they said that about Canada.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No . LoL. We agree about most things. I was backing You here. Most the stuff I don't agree with You about Has just left the building, and some I do just for fun. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    LMAO!!!

That's what I get for posting in a hurry at work.

Byron Leftwich I meant of course.

I'll wear this egg on my face. Dear God... :facepalm::roflmao:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    IDK. I meant to say Byron Leftwich. But my old ass brain went, "former Steeler backup QB? Charlie Batch."

I'm not even old enough to be going senile... yet. Bad enough I sometimes call my grandkids by the wrong name. At least they're not old enough to be offended. :facepalm:

Yeah. I can't believe I did that. :roflmao:

Correct. But we'll call it a senior moment. And hopefully not something that becomes common.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. I personally like Johnson and he is our#1. But, if your going to keep that statis you best make the catches in the clutch. He did not! This is what a #1 does. His drops have nothing to do with Canada and should not be accepted. He needs to make those period. A disappointment.

As far as Canada is concerned he needs to go. They need to bring someone in from the outside to run this thing. Same with the Defense. We know who is not going anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Are u his agent? Serious question. No worries mate, just kidding. After calm down I'm ok with him. But I don't really like him and still believe he is and will not a #1 WR

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Even the KC beat writers know.

Here’s how the Chiefs’ first five possessions unfolded: Punt, punt, interception, punt, fumble,” wrote Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star. “Fortunately for them, the Steelers — and their unimaginative offense — gave the Chiefs time to settle in.

I’m afraid that he may escape the ax if they want to see what he can do with his style of QB. If Butler is indeed gone, don’t know if they would make two major changes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Find the lie in anything I have said. He’s getting piled on as if he had 50 drops this season.

He actually had a really good season if you look at it objectively. Put him on a team with a Allen/Mahomes/Rodgers level QB and he easily has a 1400 yard 13 TD season.

11. SteelersGermany

Dec 27, 2021
    Wait, an advantage? LoL. The combination of Mason and Canada :lolol: if u believe in Canada due the circumstances, fine. I´ve got a complete different opinion. Fire him, today. But if u want to give Canada a new chance, then i thought he needs a mobile quaterback. Mason is much more a statue in the pocket then Big Ben. The only time he rolled out of the pocket he got completely destroyed and saw the angels. This Dude played horrible behind an Oline with Pouncey, DeCastro, Villanueva and Foster. And all he did was check downs on his first reeds. He got benched for an UDFA Duck. C´mmon, he behind this Oline would be a total farce. I cant hear anymore this Rudolph hype. He is not even mediocre.

If we go with Canada one more year then give him his f****** mobile Quaterback for his stupid calls. And this QB is still on the roster. Dwayne Haskins. He is mobile like hell and have a hell of an arm. He is a first round one pick (#15) with starting experience and one year under the belt from Canada. Why the hell should be any potential late first round rookie better than him. There are first overall picks outside which are completely busts. Because it´s the new toy with a great college video?

So for me, go with Canada and Haskins or fire him and go with anyone else then Mason.

12. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    This is the best time to make multiple major changes. Ben leaving. New OC and new DC. Not only would it provide a much needed shakeup for the team, it would also be a built-in excuse for any struggles next year. No one can expect success when a team changes from a HoF QB and both coordinators.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersGermany

Dec 27, 2021
    here we do not come to an opinion. Im much more concerned about him. But maybe u are right and in a high power offense he will comes out with massive stats in regular season. But maybe others guys too.
    But what worries me the most are his ball skills. Like S.T.D. said. When i´m worried, whats about the quaterback under pressure in crucial moments. In do or die games? Then it becomes a big issue.

As i said, as #2 or #3 i´m absolutely fine with him.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If this becomes a trend in playoff games then I’ll worry but from everything this guy has shown, he has great work ethics and works hard to correct his flaws. 14 drops to 5 is something to be applauded not ridiculed over.

To say a guy that caught 107 passes doesnt come through in big moments is kind of ridiculous. He came through plenty during the season. He hasn’t had enough playoff games to have that label slapped on him.

He’s improved each year in the league, no reason to think he won’t build off of this years campaign either.

Media sees him a lot different then Steelers fans, too. I’m not ready to call him elite as this article does but I see the skills and potential for him to be.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburg...ng-past-the-drops-to-become-an-elite-receiver

• Like Like x 1
  15. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Foreshadowing? :hehehe:

16. SteelersGermany

Dec 27, 2021
    Unfortunately we'll doesn't find it out for a long time. But we'll see if he will improve next year as well. In his first year he played with Rudolph/Duck. In his second year with Big Ben who just recovered from a major injury. So if he will improve next year as well, i become a fan of him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nailed it.

I said in another thread that we see WR screens all the time with basically one other receiver set up to block, but we never see RB screens with linemen in to block.

The quick slants were bread and butter for AB and Martavius Bryant because they had good feet and could make a lot of YAC. DJ and Claypool have different strengths and they aren't exploited enough.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That quote is bang on. We had all the chances to put KC out of the game early. When some are talking about a complete rebuild, I look at that and say: better playcalling, a QB who can play the whole field, and some fixes on the line, and there was the chance of a W there. Instead, have Najee run into a brick wall several times, then launch the ball 10 yards away from the nearest receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Except I never said we would have won the game. I said he single-handedly stopped the momentum we had. Our offense was struggling mightily and he kept us from two and maybe three first downs in that first half. So no..Not only is it not a “huge stretch” it’s extremely likely that we get out of that first half tied, with a lead or a one score deficit if Dionte performs better. Face it, the number one receiver on an Anemic offense can’t fail miserably on the biggest stage of his career. But he did. And it made a big difference in that first half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RockyBleier

Sep 11, 2015
    They did make similar points.

And to those unwilling to see it...I don’t care if Vince Lombardi said it. I know what I saw with my own eyes. Diontae Johnson single-handedly changed the first half of the football game against us. I never said we would’ve won the game without those drops. But if you can’t see that dropping first downs, Missing assignments, and taking critical penalties was devastating to a team that was already struggling on offense in the first half you’re not watching. The Chiefs are far better football team. I never once thought we were going to win the football game. That doesn’t change the evaluation of Diontae Johnson in the first half. Period.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    First of all you attributed 24 points to DJ’s drops which is a grand canyon size leap.

Secondly, what did you see from this offense that leads you to believe they continue to march down the field and score if Johnson catches those two passes? Nothing. So yes, its a stretch. You’re saying something that didn’t happen as if it would be a fact :bscow:

I don’t see anyone bitching about any of the other drops by receivers. Of course not, it wasn’t DJ, doesnt matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The funniest thing about the game is that the Chiefs played the Steelers type of offense. The Chiefs used short passes and catch and run on drags, screen, passes to the flat etc.

The Steelers made no adjustments and didn't know how to defend it. Kept running LB into the Chiefs OL just for the ball to flip over their heads in 2s.

Too bad they aren't a team that knows how to use the zone blitz.

23. RockyBleier

Sep 11, 2015
    The 24 was a typo...I meant 14. The 14 they scored before halftime. We possessed the ball with 4 minutes left. We had a first down if Dionte catches that ball. It gives us the opportunity to get some rhythm, run the clock, potentially kick a field goal before half. More importantly, it keeps the ball out of the Chiefs hands. The onslaught started immediately after that. Also, the early drop, missed route and penalty gave the Chiefs two -three other opportunities to possess the ball. Dionte radically changed the face of that game in the first half with his poor performance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He played bad, not denying that.

I don’t think it changes the outcome of the game at all. A lot went wrong, its not all on him. There was miscues all over the place between Ben and the receivers. Offense was terrible, no one was making plays. Harris fumble was more damaging, that led to another TD but I’m not dragging Harris either.

25. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The other drops were contested no?

I agree that Diontae's drops were unlikely to result in points. He clearly chokes though. No problems this year until it mattered. You could see how mad he was with himself too. If OBJ catches 1 pass after dropping 5 he demands HOF consideration. Diontae has a long memory and a coach who piles pressure on his players. It's not a good mix.

Honestly Deebo Samuel is tearing it up as a flex for SF and Claypool is a similar type player in terms of size and speed. Would have been nice to see some misdirection and Chase running against the 3rd worst run defense in the NFL.

Freiermuth has been Ben's best target in terms of Ben's passer rating by receiver. It's not really close. So of course Freirmuth was targeted 5 times for 25 yards on passes to the line of scrimmage.

No creativity on offense and not playing to strengths was a bigger problem on offense than Diontae's drops. I agree with you.