1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Tomlin ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by djac111, Dec 10, 2018.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Cowher for all his faults was also never afraid to clean house and hurt feelings when it was necessary. Tomlin wants to be Mr. Nice Guy which is great but not as a head coach in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Saw some horrible stats on the Tomlin era when playing teams we're favored by 9 points or more. Steelers are 6-5 since 2007, the rest of the NFL is 52-10. Dang.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This is it. You win most of your home games, and the games you are favored. If you have a team that does that, more playoff games at home, and not this one and done crap like with the Jag-offs last year.

4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I know the Rooney’s are stubborn but I really don’t see how Tomlin survives this collapse. The fans have turned on him, former players have turned on him, reporters are blasting him. Heck, his QB hung him out to dry on the injury explanation. Will Art risk entering Browns territory and allow this franchise to become a laughingstock? Because we’re really not that far away from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    What does Tomlin do exactly , He doesnt call plays he doesnt draft, he might have input who we draft but so did Cowher and we drafted better with the same GM when Cowher was here . How does a defensive mineded coach have **** defense year after year?... We can blame Butler if we want But i think Tomlin is the MAJOR reason we are getting worse and worse every year .. Look at the Browns,Packers they get rid of there coaches and start winning ......There is no reason for Tomlin being here nxt year even if we make the playoffs ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    3 minority head coaches will get fired in about 3 weeks, todd boles jets, vance joseph denver, and ron rivera panthers, looks like adding tomlin to that list would be keeping with the trend, and zimmer not a minority but his team has under performed so badly this year he is on a real hot seat.....

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Boles, Rivera and Joseph would make damn good DCs. It's not like the Steelers won't have any options if they decide to jettison Butler.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    All 3 have under performing offenses and their defenses are nothing to brag about this year,I expect the search will be for offensive coaches this year.......

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Whats his name (Bengals coach) should be fired also.... if all this happens get ready for the PC/snowflakes to stomp their feet

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Packers have won one game since firing McCarthy. It's a bit early to think that is some sort of trend.

Firing the coach is not a cure-all. There is a reason the Steelers haven't done it in decades. Noll was pushed to retire. Cowher left on his own.

The key is to find a strong replacement, or you're just starting a cycle of failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt Zimmer will be fired this season. I don't think the Vikings are that impatient. Also, despite their struggles, they are still in position to make the playoffs.

I do not care one bit about a trend of minority coaches being fired. Rivera might be in trouble because his team collapsed. Boles simply hasn't won enough and the Jets seem to be spinning their wheels. Joseph seemed to have the Broncos surging before Sanders got hurt, so maybe he lasts another season.

None of it is relevant to Tomlin, who should be judged on the merit or lack thereof in his team's performance.

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

My point was there is no reason for Tomlin to be retained..

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So what, Cowher had a hand in picking those scrub QBs also. Plenty of QBs won Super Bowls that weren't franchise QBs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't change the fact that Cowher 1-4 in the AFCCG at home either :shrug:.

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I know a lot of other teams look dumb, too.... but Cowher/Colbert picked Tee Martin over Tom Brady.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    and we got 3 pairs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have one name ... Marty Schottenheimer. Do you see any similarities? And, I think he was a better coach then Tomlin

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have seen enough, onto the next chapter.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This is getting interesting, I just put some Jiffy Pop on the stove!

• Like Like x 1
  20. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I hate the "never had a losing season" argument. All you have to do is look at trends, Tomlin has THE WORST RECORD against sub .500 teams than any coach in the league with a winning record. During last season it was talked about on every sports show and I remember how it was discussed in depth on ESPN right before the Bears game.

The slow starts on offense have happened no matter who the OC has been. With this roster it is a head scratcher but very telling as well. It screams that there is something wrong with the way they are practicing or preparing. How many times does it look like they are running plays for the first time when they start a game?

The discipline problem has been going on for a long time as well, no accountability for players or coaches. Speaking of coaches, when you know there is a weakness and you don't even change the scheme or even tweak it to address the issue and somehow still have a job, that is problematic.

To the OP, I understand your frustration but if you think you can win with Tomlin they good for you. I do have one question for you though, how well do you think your HC would do if he was handed a franchise QB right from the start? I bet you wouldn't be here right now asking how we can want our HC fired for ineptitude.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but that's just a silly argument. Brady was a part-time starter at Michigan who looked terrible at the combine. It was a wonderful roll of the dice by the Patriots, but I don't think even they really had a clue about what they had in Brady at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well... the Patriots made everybody look "silly"... even if you think it's a silly argument. Actually, it wasn't an argument... it was a statement.

23. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Listening to the fan this morning and they put a question out there ..
    What can actually be directly attributed to Tomlin and this team during his tenure.What is it he has done that we can all say was a direct result of Tomlin?
    I took a moment and really couldn't come up with anything..
    Also brought up his coaching tree,not a single branch on it they said,not even in D 2 college level..
    Interesting....

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

With 3 diff Qb's ??

25. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Enough of the facelifts need a revamp!! Fire everyone!

• Like Like x 1