1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rockyriver2018, Jan 14, 2018.

1. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    The 8-8 was led by a coach whose wife was dying of cancer. Cowher seemed off that year and it wasn't until after he retired that we learned what he was dealing with.
    The 8-8 had a starting QB who almost died in a motorcycle accident and had emergency surgery to start the season.

Tomlin deserves some credit, but let's not act like he inherited the Browns. He had a team that was 1 season removed a SB win and 2 seasons removed from 15-1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Tomlin is not a good in game decision maker. He doesn't know how to scheme either. Terry Bradshaw called it perfectly and my eyes and a 4 time super bowl champ and former MVP is pretty credible. Believe me, I wish tomlin was a better coach, but he isn't. He just isnt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. STEEL-BOY

STEEL-BOY Member

Dec 20, 2017
    I agree 1000% poor azz coaching...lets pitch it 5 yards deep to get a yard....bunch of BS

4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  5. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Why not because everyone knows the Jagoffs defense is one of the faster defenses in the league when it comes to getting to the edges. Apparently the Steelers coaches are too dumb to realize that for whatever reason. Moronic playcalling.

6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Nix?

7. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    He did beat the Pats a few times too. That's worth a look right there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think he had the best corners and safeties in the game, when he was with the jets. He could help in the draft too since Colbert is useless when it comes to drafting for the secondary.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Such a great article. I want Tomlin fired, but I know it won't happen. A good solution though is to make him ultimately responsible. He didn't want to fire Arians and I doubt he wanted to hire Haley. Who knows about the defensive side of the ball, although my guess is those weren't his calls either. It's time to let him make the calls. Let him bring in his own guys and let him run the defense he wants to run, a defense he is more familiar with than this oudated 3-4 crap we've been seeing for the last 8-9 years. Then if Tomlin falls on his face with his guy, which I believe he will, then he will finally be held accountable. He's gotten a pass for too many years. Yeah, we usually end up with a good record in the regular season, but the flaws are apparent to anyone who watches the games. This team has major problems and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. In fact, we're going to be look at a possible rebuild in the years to come. It's now or never with this group of guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe the position coaches are his call but Haley and Butler came from the top. Butler had a long standing agreement to succeed DL.

I doubt they get rid of Butler, they led the league in sacks and had a key injury in Shazier. Losing him was huge, it allows them to do so many things with their packages.

His defense really isn't the same as DL's.

11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Teams lose players all the time. The reality is we got embarrassed by a team we shouldn't have gotten embarrassed by and losing Shazier was not the reason. In fact, there isn't one reason. Guys looking towards the Pats doesn't help, but it's far from the only reason. The reality is we're seeing a lot of guys not doing their job, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Why is that? Do these guys not know how to play football? Somehow I doubt that's the case. Are they are all very stupid and don't understand a playbook? Doubtful again. Perhaps it's a lack of good coaching throughout the week. Perhaps an overly complicated playbook with complicated reads/assignments as well. Our guys often take bad angles and don't seem to read plays quick enough, Shazier included, but Shazier had the speed to make up for his mistakes. Why is it that the Pats players always seem to be in a position to execute the play that's called? Look how terrible their defence was to start the year and look at the improvements they've made. That's coaching. We're not getting that same kind of coaching.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It's time for Tomlin to go. Seen enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I hate that cliche. Shazier was a huge loss, not saying its the sole reason but to just brush it off isnt recognizing the impact he has when in the game and the different looks it allows Butler to implement.

Losing him is a huge impact in the draft too, trying to replace his talent is going to be near impossible.

The pass rush masked the limitations in secondary and the Jags controlled the line of scrimmage and neutralized the rush. As a result, secondary got exposed badly. Its simply a lack of talent back there.

The run defense is coaching, lack of gap integrity was putrid all year. Butler deserves full blame for not fixing that. I think there is plenty of talent on the line, the back end, not so much.

They could fire Butler today and I wouldnt care, I just don't think they will.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know if they will or not, my bigger point was that if they don't and the problems remain, it's on Butler, not Tomlin. I happen to think Tomlin is a mediocre coach surrounded by incredible talent. I want Tomlin to surround himself with his guys and to be able to run his system. If he's a great coach, lets see what he can do. Give him full control and lets either sink or swim. My guess is we continue to tread water with Ben, Brown and Bell in town, but once those guys are gone, this team will falter until the day Tomlin is fired for being a down right terrible coach. Tomlin will not rebuild this team.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's the thing I've never understood. Tomlin came from a 4-3 team and it was assumed that he would eventually transition the Steelers to one with a staff and system of his choosing. Here we are 10 years in and he still has yet to put his stamp on this team. Is it because he's afraid to or be revealed as a fraud? Or are the Rooneys and Colbert saying you have to play a 3-4? If it's the latter then we have bigger problems. A head coach who shows little signs of improvement or growth or doesn't show the initiative to want to isn't a good thing.

17. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The defense sucked even with Shazier in there. Teams were running all over the steelers and they still gave up the big passing plays. Jags are 3rd down and 9 and the steelers are playing back 15 yards.. Sounds like another Lebeau

18. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Here is the thing: Today, in the Post Gazette, Joe Starkey called for the firing of Haley, Butler, Porter, and Perry. Now, I happen to agree with him on all four, HOWEVER, if no less than FOUR assistants need to go, AND THEY DO NEED TO GO, what does that say about Tomlin?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

He would be next

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    For all Bill Cowher's faults he always knew what kind of team he wanted. A clear vision. And he wasn't afraid to fire assistant coaches to get what he wanted. Tomlin seems wishy washy about that like he doesn't want to hurt feelings. If he's waiting for ownership to tell him what to do then what's the point of having him?

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher also held on to coordinators too long several times in his tenure. Tim Lewis and Kevin Gillbride for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Not from what I remember. I thought Gilbride only made it one year and Lewis was a scapegoat for another playoff failure.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Wow. Project much?

24. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Who would you choose as the new Steelers Head Coach??

Mike Munchak would be a nice choice. Who else? Can be anyone.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Gillbride was OC for '99 and '00 seasons.