1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Tomlin??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelballz, Dec 20, 2011.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Remember, Cowher's cupboard was pretty full, too. The nucleus for the Super Bowl XXX team was built by Noll.

Tomlin has me scratching my head, too, at times. But the Steelers are not a knee-jerk reaction football team. Tomlin's not going anywhere.

And say what you will about Tomlin, but the Steelers are the most mentally tough team in the NFL. I believe this. They win a lot of games on guts and determination, and that comes from the head coach.

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen:

It is tough to just MAKE the playoffs - especially in our division. Yet we're in the mix every single year. I can't imagine starting a year without even hoping to sniff the playoffs. The Clowns fans go through that year in and year out. They change coaches every two or three years and get the same results. Our ownership changes coaches every 15-20 years and we are presented with a competitive football team EVERY season - and always a part of the conversation to compete for the Super Bowl. Someone tell me how many fans from other teams wouldn't LOVE to be in our situation. Tomlin's not going anywhere - thank GOD. Hopefully he'll be leading this team for YEARS to come!

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    again .. is not tomlin that brought us to the sb but ben , with cowher was the same . only few elite qb can bring you to the sb ,with rare exception

4. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Let's see....Belicheck, Mccarthy, Landry, Gibbs, Knoll, Reid, Walsh, Shula....should I go on?? I just named a few of the greatest coaches in NFL history that never showed any kind of emotion on the field, but they got the job done! I was a high school qb and my coach was the same way, and when I screwed up he gave me a look that spoke 10 times louder than words!! Believe me...I know the type first hand and he DOES have control of this team!

5. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You've convinced me once again, Freak. I guess since we have Ben - we can just fire the whole damned coaching staff and just run the players out there every week. Who needs coaches when you have Ben? I'll say it again - 53-25 in 5 years. 3 division titles. 2 Super Bowl appearances. 5-2 in the playoffs. Those are TEAM statistics - and Tomlin is the leader of the team that has given us 53 wins in 5 years. 53. Do you know how long it takes the Clowns to win 50 games? It's a DECADE's worth of wins for some teams - and we've been given over 10 wins PER YEAR for 5 years. Wow! Tomlin really has nothing to do with that? :banghead: :frustrated: :banghead: :frustrated:

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Some people don't understand.

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Those guys were on the field too much and gasses, understandably.

8. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That excuse isn't valid when we won the time of possesion battle...

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope, not enough time, I came back too soon, still retarded posts being inflicted on this board, many in this very thread. See Rutans for an example.

I'll check back in a couple of days, maybe then it will be safe :hello:

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hmmmmm.......Okay- here goes. I dont need a coach to be screaming on the sidelines to make me have faith in the guy and, for the most part, I like Tomlin alot. I wish he would have inserted some authority and pulled Ben on MNF and I do get tired of hearing his same one liners (although some are quite funny). At the same time, I like that he keeps his feelings in house and just answers the press's questions with standard answers. I also think the players on this team respect him which is big. I will also say that this team has played "down" to teams for a long time not just under Tomlin. I do wish he would get rid of BA though. :thumbs_up:

:beard:

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yeah, the Sandusky remark was pretty stupid..... :shock:

12. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    dam what do you guys want big sexy rexy.....tomlin is the man....there are many fans who would like to have a coach with his record

13. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Nice post. Bump.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    not pulling ben in the last minutes when he was sacked repeatedly was unexcusable and say all what i need , now i understand from where arians , "unleash hell " ,gay , scott starting left tackle ... come from

15. HI4Steelers

HI4Steelers Member

Nov 14, 2011

So coaches don't matter? I am really trying to understand here. From what a remember, Ben has gone to the SB 3 times and been in the league a lot longer than that, so clearly he doesn't solely determine if the Steelers go to the SB. Cower went to the SB without Ben once with a QB no one would call elite so how does that fit?
    And as far as this being Cower's team? Seriously, Tomlin has been the head coach for 5 years now. Hines is the only WR left from the Cowher era and most think this is the best group of wide receivers we have had in decades if not ever. James Harrison was a spot starter before Tomlin took over and now look at him. (it was Tomlin's first year that he made his first pro bowl). Ike Taylor was benched and on the outs with Cowher when he left. It was Tomlin that put put him back in as a regualr starter and most think he is a pretty darn good corner. I won't even mention all of the other guys at other positions making important plays that were drafted in the last 5 years. The anti Tomlin crowd can keep pretending that this team is just Ben's and Cowher's, but each year that passes proves otherwise.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    with a qb like ben rodgers brees manning brady and an above average defense (we have good one)you always have a chance , with kordell maddox type you are going nowhere , tomlin can be good manager but doesn't make any difference few head coach can be a plus , for me tomlin is not one of them , in reality seems to me he is one of the less important person on the team , ben ,arians lebau and some veteran has more power than him .
    :hmmm: that's what i see maybe i'm wrong

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :this!:

18. HI4Steelers

HI4Steelers Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, with a top 5 D you always have a chance. I great Qb sure does help. Of course, so does a great O line- just ask Brady. Or a great RB, just ask Elway who couldn't win until he had one in Denver. And you know who makes sure those things happen? It ain't the Qb who gets the O line together. It isn't the D coordinator putting together the receiving core we have now. It wasn't Arians or the veterans standing on the sideline telling the D to watch for the pass when SF scored the TD on Monday. Oh and who kept Lebau and his system when he was hired as head coach even though he was known as a very good D coordinator and used a different system? Who hires people like the ST coach was has the coverage team playing so well? Like I said before, I think only Steelers fans would look at 5 winning seasons, 4 times making the playoffs, 2 SB appearances, and 1 SB win for a head coach's first 5 years and still think he isn't that good. Spoiled.

Oh and someone compared Tomlin to Barry Switzer. Go look up Switzer's record in his final ( I think 4th) year. You will then realzie why the comparison fails.

19. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You forget that there have been several plays this year where the Steelers didn't score any points at all.