1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Tomlin??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelballz, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Fire Tomlin?? Really?? I hear Steelers fans everyday talking about how pathetic other teams message boards are after a loss. Well I'm calling out our own board after reading some of the most pathetic threads I have ever seen!

Tomlin: Only 4 full seasons and he has delivered 3 Division titles and 2 superbowl appearances!! Nuff said ....he isn't going anywhere and I wouldn't want him too! He has every players trust and respect! Just because some of you don't see him running up and down the sideline like a spastic jackass doesn't mean he's not doing his job! Have any of you ever seen Belichick spitting and screaming....didn't think so, and he might be the greatest coach of all time.

BA: I'm on the bandwagon to get rid of him, but look at above record.....it's hard to fire ANY coach with what he has been apart of. Hopefully they will realize he is the weak link on this team... but wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first...

Big Ben: This is HIS team! He is one of the toughest SOB's I have ever seen play this game, and he knows his body better than anyone. He made a poor decision thinking he could play like we all know he can last night, but "quitting" isnt in his vocabulary and that's the qb I want leading my team to the end! With that said I really hope they can talk him into sitting until playoff time...

We are 10-4 and are in the playoffs people!!!! Now quit your pissing and moaning ABOUT our team, and get BEHIND our team!! GO STEELERS!!! :herewego:

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That about sums it up for me too LOL!

3. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I agree, the Steelers are consistently great in this age of parity.

I also thought they fought hard last night and this team has the drive and passion to go deep into the playoffs.

4. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    yeah its getting ridiculous. I thought the firing of Haley in KC was wrong. Its his 2nd season and best QB goes down for the season and the result is a crappy season so you fire the coach???? thats like firing Tomlin if Ben was lost for the season cause of a broken leg. its stupid...........

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I like Mike. But his act is starting wear a little thin for me. My concerns...

1. The team plays down to its opponent far too often and often doesn't appear ready to play. Under Tomlin, I can think of only a handful of games where the team came out well-prepared and smacked its opponent in the mouth to start the game: 2007 vs Ravens; Super Bowl XLIII; 2010 AFC Title game vs Jets; 2011 vs Patriots. That's it. It seems like in every game the Steelers start slow, maybe get pts on the opnening drive, and then find themselves in a dogfight.

2. This guy cannot manage the clock to save his life. Someone needs to help him out.

3. His presser this morning didn't exactly help matters. He said he didn't know what kind of medical treatment Ben received prior to the game. Say WHAT?

4. This team has no identity whatsoever, especially on offense. There doesn't seem to be a mindset with this team anymore. he said after the game, "That was 49ers football. They dictated the game." Gee, Mike, you know why? Because Harbaugh has a clear vision for what his team is supposed to be and what it is supposed to do. I have rarely seen a Steelers team physically manhandled like that.

6. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011

7. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011
    one thing i dont like about Tomlin is the showing of no emotion on the sideline. He stands there glancing back and forth from the field to the scoreboard. You gotta get these guys fired up. How can a coach stand there showing no emotion, no yelling, no screaming?????

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm beginning to wonder if this is an African-American thing, a mindset that is imparted on young blacks as they rise to positions of authority. We saw this with Dungy, with Lovie Smith, even Raheem Morris. And we see it from the President. This "I'm gonna be cool" exterior, as though they fear getting angry and showing emotion. I wonder if anyone's done research on this phenomenon.

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011

10. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Thank you! I would much rather have a coach who is calm and able to handle his business than one who is jumping around like a "Harbaugh". I know we have lost three games to these brothers this year, but it would make me sick to see our coach acting like a child on the sideline. Cowher had a reputation of intensity and he certainly expressed his feelings sometimes but honestly the spitting and screaming was my least favorite attribute of his.

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't exactly call losing to the 49ers as playing down to your opponent. They're a division winner with a #1 D that hasn't allowed a rushing TD all season. Then there's the 2 losses to the Ravens and the loss to the Texans all against playoff teams. As for the press conference concerns he's just as vague on everything as Bill Cowher used to be. The so called identity you're looking for was limping around on one leg last night like a wounded dog. Damn, lighten up. The sky is still in tact today and the Steelers are still alive for the season.

12. romeo863603

romeo863603 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Bless you Steelballz :amen: I couldn't believe the things I was reading last night. I was upset about the loss but fire Tomlin lmfao wow. I've always been a fan of firing BA. Ben was hurt couldn't move out the pocket, Harrison was out we couldn't get any pressure, Pouncey was out, our line is horrible as it is and with him out I figured Ben would be a sitting duck. It was an up hill battle from the get go. We are in the freaking playoffs that's all we need. Like many of course I wanted the number one seed/division but if it doesn't happen oh well. That's the beauty of being a Steeler fan they have proven in the past that they can be the #6 seed and "STILL WIN A SUPERBOWL". I understand we are the 5th seed but really everyone is scared of Denver. Anyone can win any given sunday but if we can't beat Denver there's no way we are going to make it to the Superbowl anyway. We would face the Ravens/Patriots or even both. I for one am not throwing the towel in :herewego: I just hope Ben sits out these next 2 weeks and gets as healthy as he can.

LETS GO STEELERS!!!!! :rawk:

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This is crazy. Three coaches since 1969. Tomlin is not going anywhere. He's still a young coach and has some learning to do but he is one the best coaches out there. He needs to get a good OC and another DC with some innovative defensive and offensive schemes. I love Dick Lebeau but I think his time has passed him by. You just can't stay in the same place a long time. Maybe he can be some type of consultant but Butler needs to take over.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i found this comment in another forum , that sum it up what i think about tomlin :
    "Ben's been carrying this pathetic coaching staff for years. It's his play that has afforded most on here the luxury of accepting Tomlin as the head coach.
    Take away Ben and we have another Jim Caldwell on our hands. "

15. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No 1. Tomlin is a dolt. His inability to coach football is only one of his glaring weaknesses.
    No 2. Tomlin was given a gift when he was named head coach. One of the best franchises in all of sports. Everything is in place. Only he could bungle it up and he has done that.
    No 3. Emotionless, spinless, but he does talk a good game. He should have ripped the NFL over the lack of consistency in the fines being levied against the Steelers. Given first place after Sunday and a chance to wrap up the no 1 seed, he and his coaching staff bungle their way into history. Poor clock management, poor play calling, and just an overall lack of urgency. But he does talk a good game.

Surely BA has sandusky info on Tomlin or someone within the organization. There is no excuse to keep this jellyfish around. His playcalling is laughable, but only it is not laughable.

In all let's just say Tomlin ain't no football scholar. He walked into the perfect storm. Just about any coach could have done what he has done given the organization and talent he has had at his fingertips. Let him have taken the Rams job and let's see if he goes to the SB 2 times or even makes it to the playoffs. Nuff said.

rutan

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've not idea what his coaching skills are like. He seemed to do ok in Tampa.

This "emotionless" thing I don't get. If Tomlin's style isn't to hare around the sideline screaming and shouting, then that's his style. Given his style, I've seen him getting fired up most games.

He could have ripped the NFL - if we was a Rex Ryan-type coach. But he isn't. What would it have achieved? Seriously? Other than to show us some emotion?

He did inherit a strong team, true enough. I think it's obvious that he wouldn't have won 2 SBs with the Rams - but then nobody would have.

17. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was ALMOST certain just in reading your 1st sentence on how how Tomlin is a dolt and couldn't coach that you we're probably not an intellectual or at the very least not a rational thinker (I guess you mind as well say the Rooney family does not know how to screen coaching applicants), but I knew the minute you referenced the horrendous and deplorable crimes of Sandusky (allegedly ) to BA and OUR organization and OUR coach that you were a certified nut job. Certain topics should never be made light of, carry on

18. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011
    [quote="steelers5859". I love Dick Lebeau but I think his time has passed him by. You just can't stay in the same place a long time. Maybe he can be some type of consultant but Butler needs to take over.[/quote]

If it passed him by then why do we have a no.2 defense?

19. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    My first impression of this post is: :roflmao:

However, I'll add to the first post by mentioning that as the head coach of the Steelers, Mike Tomlin is 53-25. He is 5-2 in the playoffs with 2 Super Bowl appearances going 1-1.

To your second point - ANYONE who would have been hired by the Steelers would have received a gift - just like any player who is chosen to PLAY for the Steelers receives a gift. I would respect your statement if we had ONE season to go on, but this is season 5. It's his team now and he has won 3 division championships, 1 Super Bowl, 2 AFC Championships, and 4 playoff appearances. He has NOT bungled anything. He has continued the winning tradition of this team.

To your third point. I believe someone said it before - the "emotionless" impression that he gives worked for Chuck Noll - the greatest Steeler coach in history. Maybe you're not old enough to remember him, but it was seldom that he cracked a smile or got excited about anything. He kept his criticism of the players and coaches IN HOUSE - where it should be - and he was respected for it. We didn't have message boards back then, but there weren't many complaints about his style.

To your last two statements - you are expressing opinion as if it is fact. You have a right to that opinion, but that doesn't mean you have to present it as if you are reading from the Gospel.

What IS a fact is that there are probably 25 or more owners in this league who would gladly hire Tomlin if he were available. If he were to be let go by the Steelers, he would have another job before he got his desk cleaned out. We have been blessed over the past 40+ years to have hired 3 excellent head coaches. The Rooneys are the credit for that, because after 30+ years of "not getting it", they hired Chuck Noll and have hit nothing but home runs ever since. Think about it - Whizenhunt went to Arizona - and everyone wanted HIM here. There's an example of what happens when a marginal coach goes into a good situation. They have fallen apart. While it's not all his fault, it's a good example of how difficult it is to keep a good thing like we have in Pittsburgh together.

I, for one, hope that we have many more years of Mike Tomlin on our sidelines. I can do without BA, but I don't want to even think about who would come after Tomlin. It's pretty darned difficult to hit 3 home runs in a row - even moreso to hit 4.

'NUFF SAID!

20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin's lack of fire is probably why the Defense was just standing there at the goal line before 49rs easily scored.

21. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011
    Why can't we run a play at the goaline like that instead of trying 4 up the gut runs?

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw him telling them to watch that pass play. I think the lack of umph in these types of games is disturbing. They did the same crap during that 5 game losing streak when he said they were going to unleash hell.

23. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yep - you're probably right. If he had been ranting and raving on the sidelines, the 49ers probably wouldn't have scored. :banghead:

24. HI4Steelers

HI4Steelers Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Insane. I mean really? Does anyone remember how long it took our last coach to get to the SB? And then how long did it take for him to win one? Now teams are trying to get him out of retirement to coach again. Tomlin has gotten to two2 and one one. This team is still consistently in the SB picture under Tomlin. Even with injuries and suspensions to key players the last few years, they are a winning team. We lose our #1 wideout to the Jets, we have a terrible O line, and still he and his coaching staff move forward, make changes and gets wins. Other can look up the number for winning percentage or most wins in the first 5 seasons or any other stat. I know what I see week after week and year after year from this team under coach Tomlin. They are a focused, well coached team. Players come and go but still the consistency remains. I swear, only Steelers fans would look at 2 SB appearances as a failure. Some of you are just spoiled.

25. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

There's plenty of research on the topic which I could forward you if you like. Knowing what I know about Tomlin that's not his style. He gets as fired up as anyone but in his way and what I love about him is his typical carefully chosen words when it comes to press and the media. How many times has ol Rex Ryan shot his mouth off and had to back track

The truth of it is that Blacks who actually attain Head coaching positions (in ALL sports, btw the ratio of minority coaches to non - minority is still staggering) often only get one shot to demonstrate their coaching knowledge (ever wonder why no one ever mentions Tony Dungy for a GM position or as a potential new coach of a team, i mean he did build Tampa Bay right? Didn't Gruden win the following year with Dungy's team? I don't believe Dungy would take it but you NEVER even hear the name mentioned, and this is a guy from the Chuck Noll tree lol). They get shorter leashes (typically) than counterparts and generally face greater scrutiny (for reasons I wont get into) The LAST thing a Black head coach or President for that matter can afford to do is give ammunition to feed into the perceived stereotype that Blacks are violent, short tempered, or unstable (way too many people buy into that nonsense) or that Blacks are not intelligent enough to find methods outside of yelling to make a point (Phil Jackson rarely raises his voice so it can be done) Passion however has nothing to do with anger; anger cannot be confused with motivation. For the record its not just in coaching where these stereotypes lie. Until Doug Williams won a Superbowl with the Redskins there were doubters that someone Black could have the ultimate success at the position. Remember 1947 when Jackie Robinson came into the major leagues (well neither do I as i'm not that old) but I do know that at the time there were players in the Negro leagues with more skill than Jackie but not his disposition; Right player, right time.
    Ever wonder what type of career Joe Gilliam may have had if he had not been benched in 74 (Gilliam was 6-0 in pre-season and 4-1-1 in the regular season and if i'm not mistaken the Steelers were in first when he was benched for Bradshaw Right player, wrong time