1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Aug 21, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018

Yupp I've been at school since the beginning of the month due to football camp. Biggest problem Is finally being an adult and adjusting to somewhat living on my own and being responsible. But other than that been a blast so far.

2. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ummm because wentz last yr before he got hurt was playing like the best player in the NFL. And because if they got by those teams with Foles what do you think what have happened to wentz. if you want to say who knows, then you or anyone else here bet to not ever mention us not being healthy again because the impact of losing a star starting QB is far greater than ANY OTHER position. Also we did have an int that put the defense in a bad position I'll give you that but the fumble doesn't count. It was for a td so therefore the defense never saw the field after that fumble. And it was also no turnovers in the 2nd half and our defense couldnt make enough stops to keep our offense in the game. Bortles was torching them with play action and he was doing the simplest of plays it wasnt like they had a great scheme or anything our defense was just that bad. They completely wet the bed on the first real game all season. The 2016 Broncos, 2014 HEALTHY Seahawks, 2017 Pats for a perfect example. They made KEY PLAYS AND TURNOVERS to help their offense win the game even after the offense had turned it over and produced nothing for 2 and a half quarters. The forces fumbled, got sacks, etc.... things our defense did not do. They made ZERO PLAYS THE ENTIRE GAME. ZERO.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Fantastic, good luck

College years are great

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hate to pour salt in the wound but what is being forgotten is besides last year debacle against Jax ,are we forgetting the previous debacle against NE in the playoffs? 2years ago it was oh we don't have the personnel the play man, so we were embarrassed. They vowed changes were gonna be made. Last year the D seemed ok even though in my opinion the QBs we ended up facing played a huge part. Then we lose Shazier the D goes in the tank and we get embarrassed again in a playoff loss....
    The point I'm trying to make is every year we hear ...oh we're gonna try these new schemes and we're gonna do this and that different. Trying not to make a big deal about the GB game but what's disheartening is already someone (Dupree ) is making excuses for the poor performance saying they are trying some new stuff...ok fine we'll see. Just curious as to when we can expect them to get on the same page. The tackling remains poor and players are saying you have to "want to"....why does it seem we don't "want to" then...

The new terminology this year is "Leverage" it's been used by our HC and now the players ( Dupree) are adopting our coaches ' coach speak' ....ugh!. When are the excuses gonna end ? When are we going to get back to a D that strikes at least a little bit of fear into opponents? Yeah maybe Butler shouldn't be on the hot seat......his but should be on fire. Give us fans a defense we can be unanimously impressed with and proud of or Butler and maybe even Tomlin should be " leveraged " out the door...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    There isn't really a reason as to why this team struggles so much defensive. Before Shazier went down, things were definitely beginning to improve, but the communication issues are real and someone needs to be held accountable for it. Whether it's Butler, Tomline or higher up, it's bad.

The tackling miscues get me more than anything. I understand blown coverages but the defense literally gives up gashes of yards because they can't tackle. It's insane and happens every freaking year.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t think I’ve ever adjusted to being an adult, FWIW.

Glad you’re enjoying it so far.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I may grow old, but I will never grow up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Bostic looks bad, I know it’s camp but nothing but negatives on him.

Burnett been hurt all camp. All he has shown me so far is he is injury prone.

Edmunds getting the lowest PFF score of any 1st rounder so far.

If those are the big moves to shore up an abysmal D then yea, exciting times.

9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    No, no, no, don't you realize? The entire fault of our mistackling is all on the CBA...you know, the same one all other teams are under but somehow can still tackle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    See, this is why I rarely post in the offseason or preseason. I'm prone to wild mood swings, worrying over weaknesses, and getting ready to hit the "fire everybody" button enough in the actual season as it is.

I gotta save that venom for when the games actually matter. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That was never the argument but whatever lies you need to tell yourself :thumbs up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Or??????

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The problem is with execution. Look back at the playoff game against the Jaguars. LT Walton who played something like 45% of snaps for some reason at nose tackle got manhandled/dominated by the center.

the STEELERS led the league in sacks last year SETTING A FRANCHISE RECORD

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/12/steelers_franchise_record_sacks.html

the problem is, most of the sacks came off of the blitz. It was required to send a blitz because the PLAYERS did not get a good pass rush on the QB. When you send extra people, you have extra areas open. If the QB has more time, he will find an open area even with the coverage.

The players need to execute, and recently the problem is they need to get back to the basics and tackle.

14. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Dude, playing a 3-4 most plays involve a "blitz." Do you consider sending a LB a blitz in a 3-4? That's still just rushing 4. But I know many plays we sent more than 4.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Thanks man appreciate it and lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Thanks man.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Now saying 9-7 is a stretch but I have seen us go 8-8 innthe big ben era with a team I would say overall was more talented than this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Leverage is by no means a new term. How many practices has our starting defense played together this year? One. Our starting defense has had one day of practice together this year. Let that sink in before you start crying about a preseason game.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    First of all of I'm not crying about anything , I clearly stated that I was trying not to make a big deal about the GB game . What I said was ,it was disheartening that guys were making excuses about the performance and that others were saying the tackling issues were desire related....that's what "want to " means. You don't think that's a problem for a football team? I do....
    There is a pretty good chance that our entire starting defense may only eventually practice 3 or 4 times together ,maybe less. . So are they going to use that as an excuse when the season starts too?
    Im just tired of Dupree talking and now he's starting to sound like his HC,he's just full of excuses.

A side note to some of you. Maybe I'm being a little over sensitive at the moment but some of you come across as a little snarky when your opinions don't align with others. There really is no reason and all it does is illicit a condescending reaction. I just don't appreciate being told to let something " sink in " or being accused of "crying" when I have a take or opinion that may be different from yours.
    Blast Furnace had a nice line when he was involved in a back and forth disagreement. If you missed it he said " You should debate like the person you are debating is sitting next to you" I think we all know what he means by that... I think that would help eliminate some of the smart alecky stuff that takes away from the best Steeler board on the Internet.
    "There is a way to debate without being a dick"....that's my quote.

• Like Like x 3
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You suck and your opinion sucks.
    JK Brother!
    I appreciate your posts!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You are assuming things not in evidence. Also, those injuries did happen. So did the biceps tear that left Tuitt playing the entire season with one arm. So did Antonio Brown's leg injury that took him out for most of the loss to the Patriots. Do did Shazier's injury. Do we get to to back in time and fix those, too, in your little fantasy?

You also really need to stop going on about the 30 points the Jaguars scored in the first meeting last season as if it were a piece of evidence that works against the defense. The defense gave up 16 points in that game. The real difference was two interceptions returned for touchdowns. Yes, the defense wore down in the fourth quarter, but at least part of that has to be on the offense playing like crap.

Yes, the defense has serious problems and Butler should have been fired after last season, but let's keep our facts straight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    He needs to go now. This is getting ridiculous.

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Is this the “Official Fire Kevin Butler At Your Own Pace” thread?

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers simply don't have the talent on defense to be consistent. Watt is really the only above average player. Everyone else is average or below average in ability.