1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    i think everybody on this board was surprised by that Vikings loss

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the 1st quarter of the game today was every bit as surprising as the first quarter of the game last week. The Bills had all the bounces going their way.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Get lost? No problem....it's not worth trying to have a conversation with someone immature enough to use the " hater" defense because our opinions differ. Pathetic.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    There are teams still playing defense....the Buffalo game was surprising for sure but from what I saw it was the Buffalo D that helped set up the upset. I don't think anyone around here is expecting The Steel Curtain but it would be nice to have a D that we aren't embarrassed by. Not asking for much but the communication issues and the frequent busts in the secondary need to end. Coaches and players need to get on the same page . No more excuses for their play ,especially in our last 2 home games....

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh no doubt, there are teams playing inspired D but I was pointing out that as much as we focus on the problems the Steelers are having on defense there are other teams that are having their share of issues as well. That Saints Falcons game is being portrayed as a zero defense game too.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess some of it stems from expectations. We always expect the Steelers to play good if not great D. There are teams that have a tradition of being bad defensively. We are not one of them so it's hard to stomach. With the potential of this O we don't really need a great D and the fact that we are far from one and wasting Ben's prime years just trying to be respectable ,makes it super frustrating.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    There currently are 5 teams averaging 30+ points per game. The past few seasons, it’s usually 0-2 teams.

Chicks dig the long ball, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We get it you hate Tomlin, get over it he's here until 2021 :shrug:.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly dude I really don't and like I said in another one of my posts I like Tomln and his smooth talk when we are winning. The problem that I have is with the performance of the defense and I think it is a HCs job to fix it or fire the damn DC. If it's the Rooneys holding on to Butler in spite of Tomlin then they are to blame. I'm just used to and assuming that Tomlin has that authority...I could be wrong but if he has the power to fire Butler and he isn't then he shoulders a lot of the blame . If he is hitching his wagon to Butler and this team goes in the tank because of it. They both deserve to get fired.
    There is no excuse for the constant communication issues . It's not the players. It's the scheme and the coaching whether it's Butlers fault or Tomlins fault .the HC is supposed to be responsible. I'm super frustrated and fed up with the excuses. The fact that you might not be doesn't make you right or me a "hater". I just choose to express it. You do you and I'll do me.....

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    As we speak the Lions defense is giving the Pats fits and on the verge of beating them. Patricia is taking a soft team that didn't practice hard and potentially making them a tough opponent in the NFC who knows. Know any other teams that could use a culture change like that?

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    There is still such a thing as defense in the NFL ,contrary to popular belief of those who want to make excuses for their teams that can't play any...what a novel idea Detroit had to actually cover Gronk.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So you are talking apples and oranges, does it matter is he has a play sheet or not when he is making the game plan? KB can only do what MT tells him when MT admits he "had more input" on the defense! I am not giving the players a pass but at some point you have to look at more than the players. We all thought getting rid of Mitchell and Spence would be an instant upgrade and guess what not much different right now. That comes back to one person Mr. cool shades himself!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If the Survivor pool was anything to go by, at least...

I actually picked the Vikings, then saw everybody had picked them, and changed my pick just in case there was an upset. Didn't actually think it would happen, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah man! You got it all wrong. He don't set the gameplan. Tomlin don't coach the defense. On going communication issues aren't his fault ,nor his problem. He don't have a say drafting the players. He doesn't oversee personnel decisions during the game that the coordinators have to come out a couple days later to say they made a mistake (Conner). It's not his fault they use LBs to cover TEs and WRs and it's not his fault they use 30 yr old injury prone starting CBs as gunners(Haden) that's just "how we do it" around here. He has no say in bringing in damaged goods as FAs. You can't expect him to keep the noise down coming from the locker room. Social media BS...pfft.....These aren't legitimate concerns and gripes...He's a players coach ,don't you see FAs knocking our doors down to come play here? Where else can you go to basically say and do whatever you want? Your expectations are way too high for a HC on one of the most storied franchises in the NFL .

Warning: Just be careful expressing your thoughts or you might get a label attached to you.....

15. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
  16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What's Rex the foot sucker Ryan up to these days?

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    6’4” ... but more like 6’8” in his stilettos.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Now you're trying to backpedal, because you were wrong the whole time :shrug:.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's a overrated DC IMO

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Or you could be a clueless fan sometimes, after the Cleveland tie fans go blame the HC when the Steelers lost the turnover battle 6-1 :shrug:. And Boswell missed a game winning FG.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If you say so but talking to you is like talking to a wall. don't matter what proof I put up in your mind you have your opinion and you believe it and that's fine. The fact that LAST SEASON Tomlin took over the defense is right there in black and white and it don't matter if he had a play sheet or not..........

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Guilty conscience much? ;)

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It looked like Tomlin had a playsheet for the Tampa game, he might have made some calls in the game. He was probably disgusted with Butler's performance, the defense gave up 6 TD passes against the Chiefs. Although I was arguing about what happened last season.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dont know about that...he had a good D in Ratland and another good D in Yetsland until they had a fire sale on D. He's better than Butler

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    His first few years with the Jets were good, after that he hasn't done much. He ran the Buffalo defense as his last job, the players were complaining about his defense.