1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 22, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    isn't that what i said? :smiley1::cool:

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think in a way ,I think you said guys who can do all real well..I don't think we can find that many guys that good...I don't think the other Teams have guys who can do it all really well either...That is my point of having more DL to help the smaller speedy guys stay cleaner so they can run to the ball when needed... So I think the difference in our views is that our 3-4 scheme can work I don't think it can....

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Biggest thing I took away from the article is you need the personnel to do both.

We're not quite there yet.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

my defense next year would look something like this:

tuitt hargraves heyward
    dupree shazier josh harvey-clemons t.j.watt
    burns adoree jackson
    davis desmond king

:smiley1::cool:

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not bad Mac would be better than what we have now , you for sure got some more speed on the field ...Sadly it will probably still be Gay,Ross,Mitchelle and Timmons again...

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Its sad ...how soon we forget. We went a winning streak in spite of inferior coaching. Weather, injuries to opposing qbs,and other things factored into that win streak. But, when push came to shove and we had to beat a bonefide team...our coaches game plan failed us miserably. You can deny it all you want...there has not been any improvement with Butler as def coach. Bottom line... You can call names or sit up on your high chair and not come to the realization of what is seen on the field. And like I said before...he's not the coordinator that need to go before this team misses its window of opportunity to win a Superbowl. 11-5...lol...paper champions. We should've been 14-2 with homefoeld advantage throughour

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Chris Harris was talking on NFL Network tonight and he said the way he thinks to beat the pats and the way Denver thought it best to play them was to get physical with their receivers. That's what I was screaming before the game and that's what I'm screaming now. He said though that Atlanta plays a ton of zone and they have a hard time getting to the qb. What's funny is that Atlanta was questioning our game plan but will honestly probably wind up trying to utilize the same plan. He said one thing that he thinks is gonna really hurt Atlanta is the fact that they don't have a good veteran presence to keep up with what he called "the most vicious no huddle" they've ever seen.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mitchell needs to go as well as Timmons and Gay. Need a play making ballhawk FS which Mitchell is not. He can't cover a grill. He's all hit. And Timmons is great at the line but in space he is slow and can't cover well but Butler keeps on putting him in bad situations. Gay is just old. And done. I also worry about Harrison's playing time. If he comes back we need him to be situational pass rusher.

I know that Mitchell will be back, but an upgrade needs to be drafted. I believe that Vince Williams will be starting next season and they will draft an ILB somewhere.

9. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Moronic

Factually incorrect

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Never been a fan of Mitchell's outside of the handful of occasions where he showed something. He's a liability in coverage and hot headedness. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him replaced at all... Gay will probably end up in a reduced role. I don't see Timmons leaving yet and yes while I admire the hell out of silverback, we need someone to step up and take some snaps from him leaving him fresh legged for situational play.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No to Timmons leaving. It's not like he was exploited all the time. His good play far outweighed the few mismatches he was caught in.

They'll be drafting a ILB, probably a speedster like Shazier but no need to jettison Timmons yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Name an improvement...the only difference is we started rookies where DL probably wouldn't... Moron.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think it's more about having an inovative D-coach like Quinn who can coach up what players he has and put them into a position to win, 3 of his rookies starting on defense are a 2nd round pick, a 4th round pick and an undrafted free agent, obviously they arent the top draft picks you would expect to be rookie starters, but quinn has them playing like one picks because he teaches them to play like 1 picks together.....

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We were 3rd in overall defense.

Last year we were 21st.

I'd call that an improvement of sorts.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, er, um, name another improvement! :lolol:

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Why jettison Timmons when you mention it's the coaches fault? I though LT94 put it all on the field for his team. Butler can go suck an egg though, I agree.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Timmons is a gamer, no question, but he is a liability in coverage. So it is both scheme and the player. But yes, Butler should know that he is not good in coverage so keep him close to the line. Timmons has slowed down so if you resign him it will be much of the same. Great player in limited space, an opposing QB's dream in space. He has been the consummate professional and a great player but it's time to cut ties. Williams is next man up and looking in the draft. But we have some potential on the roster. Can't keep everyone and with the Brown cap killer coming up and franchising Bell and hopefully looking at locking up Tuitt decisions have to be made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, Timmons has lost a step in coverage. Butler should adjust, not LT94. That's KB's job. I still think they re-sign LT94 to a 2/3 yr deal. 2 years imo, but what can you do... Steelers won't leave that big of a hole at ILB coming up to the draft and FA. Just not how they operate. Foster and Cunningham are gone by the time they pick in the first so they will have to do their homework for the successive rounds. The need is big imo.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Atlanta was playing a lot of zone earlier in the year but a mix of both now. Thats what I was saying, they can run both schemes, its that whole multiple thing that Belichick does better than anyone else. I think thats what the Steelers are trying to do, some people questioned taking a cover man in Burns when we play zone, but you cant just be locked into one thing anymore. Have to be able to mix and match coverages.

Atlanta didn't have any trouble getting to Rodgers, seems like they harassed him all game. If they can do that against Brady, I think you'll see an Atalanta victory.

Like you said, it was the complete lack of pressure that was the most glaring problem for us. Have to get in Bradys face more than any other QB out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The improvement was referring to the improvement from DL's coaching and KB's defense.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
  23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  24. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The improvement is in the results. Moron.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not even close.

The improvement is within those "fluffy" cushions Butler likes to give opposing wide receivers! :lolol: