1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Rooneys should fire themselves too for not stepping in. They should be asking Butler before the game how's he going to defend , if the answer is zone, then they should fire him on the spot.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Is the women's march still going on?, I would redirect them to the Steelers stadium and change the signs from Trump, to Butler and Tomlin.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The ONLY time we've ever beaten the Patriots and Brady is when we've played press man to man. We always get torched when we play zone.

Dumb and Dumber starring Butler and Tomlin!!! :frustrated:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They knew going into the game that we could not adjust ...The only 2 DB'S that should even be on the field are the 2 Rookies the rest of them would be toast against man play after play after play....So Brady and Bill was praying they would adjust so Brady could throw for 500 or 600 yards...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Understood, but you'd think the O would have adjusted, too. Nope. Same tired "no Plan B" gameplan from the 1st half. Bell's out? Oh well, keep trying to stuff DWill until it works. Meanwhile the Pats are scoring on every drive like it's Tecmo Bowl.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still think the O play calling was trying to protect Ben, I think Ben has played hurt and was risking career ending injury type stuff ..We will see unless they sneak him out of the country for his knee surgery..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We have the talent the coaches just dont teach them how to play man, the falcons have 3 rookies on D and they can play man because they have the teachers who brought them along all year and the payoff came for them yesterday plus they pounded rodgers the whole game, the same way they will pound brady and take his receivers away in this SB, they have a head coach who was the seahawks DC when they played the pats in the SB when wilson gave the game away with a goal line pick, and I expect a falcons win this time around with a defensive head coach who knows them and his hot offense ........

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ignorant

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    yea, i would think we have the talent to play man to man or press coverage with Burns, Davis, Ross, but they are not taught. Gay maybe not quick enough for man to man, but then again Gilbert should be but not used. Mitchell, thats another story, aint going to happen until we get a ball hawking type of saftey.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    BS. Their receivers aren't that talented, all the more reason they should have gone man.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We just do not prepare for different opponents. If we as fans can see what is going on or what should be done why in the hell can't the coaching staff. Brady knows us like the back of his hand and as many times as we have played them we change nothing to beat them. This is just plain stupid and I do know if stupid can be fixed.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They did go man on at least 4 plays and on all 4 of those plays at least 3 guys were wide open ...You said it even against a group of average WR'S we don't have enough talent to cover them...

13. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    If the team kicked butler to the curb, would one of the Ryan brothers be an adequate replacement as they will be available this off season ?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, Ill wait until I watch the tape for myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Somehow our coaches and players forgot that we had a damned good defense. Look what they did in the last 9 games. So was it bad game planing? Lack of adjustments? Poor execution? Seems to me it was a combination of all of those things. With a few exceptions they acted like deer in headlights the entire game.
    At some point coaches have to have some accountability, however, how much blame should be placed where is the question.

And our offense didn't even show up. What the hell? Big Ben, our elite QB, had a couple of decent throws but otherwise laid eggs. The only WR that seemed to try to step up was Eli Rogers and our O-line, who have been fantastic over 9 games, pretty much stunk. Even without Bell we should have been able to pound the rock but they just acted as if they didn't care to try.

We had a fantastic season this year. Many fans wish their teams could have made it to the conference championship win or lose. But to do as well as we did and play as well as we did only to show up and lay down for the Pats is a pathetic end to it. We did everything we could to make it to the party and then refused to dance.

I don't know if Butler or anyone else should be fired - that seems like a knee jerk reaction to me - however, some hard decisions should be made by the Rooney's about how to move forward.

Edit to say: Just to be clear, I don't think Butler, Haley or Tomlin should be fired. That's just crazy talk given the success we've had with them. But a whole lot of somethings broke down in this game and discovering what, why and how to fix the problems should be the mission going forward.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, it was a decidedly odd performance.

Who knows, maybe the flu took it's toll. One thing I do know is that against KC the defense looked strong, kept them guessing, had a range of creative blitzes.

Last night... nothing. It was like Butler discovered the gameplan he was using in the first half of the season and decided to give it one more go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I said the same thing last night. I think Ben has been playing with an undisclosed injury for some time now. I wont be surprised if we hear about it now that the season is over.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know Blast, that Hogan kid was quite the lacrosse player in college. :facepalm:

19. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Agreed. Burns and Cockrell are both big by corner standards and could easily jam them at the line. Gay is smaller but against Hogan or Edelman those guys are not big.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So dang frustrating, Jack. This defense was smothering teams, playing aggressive, leading in sacks and then come out with that performance. I dont get it.

Sure seems like they lived in their fears last night. Maybe the extra stuff during the week took its toll, I dont know. Perplexing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    ok and when you do you will see that we looked bad in zone and believe it or not worse when we played man...

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    would this explain why they didn't go with the QB sneak at the 1? even the cheats did a QB sneak for the first down and he's much softer than Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Like Cockrell gets spun around all the time?

24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm guessing shoulder and leg.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No because it's been missing for years. I also heard that Bell was nursing the groin issue for the last couple of weeks and it finally took him down....probably why they didn't dress Ayers knowing they would be left with just one RB...maybe that's what that ******* Simms secret was. We need a viable back up to Bell..DWill is on his last kegs. We need someone to finish games and give Bell a breather...Tomlin is running him into the ground. They also need to give Green a very serious evaluation,w can't have his availability week to week. Jesse has stepped up but I feel we need a even bigger threat at TE and if Bryant ****s up again we are screwed again without a true No. 2. .....and with the 30 th pick the Steelers select OJ Howard Alabama.