1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 22, 2017.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, like chris hogan....oh wait, that fodder plays for NE and carved us up play after play

Belichick would've had our fodder looking like super bowl MVP's

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again then expecting a different result. Even when Brady was killing them again, in the 4th quarter all zone defense, playing off the ball even in 3rd & 1 situations. When you can't get off the field on 3rd downs, do you really think your gonna beat the great Tom Brady?? This is why we can never compete against the Patriots, they're not stupid, if you give them an easy 6 yards without resistance, they'll take it & then some. Teams like the Ravens or Texans make them earn every yard. The yards we give up is too easy for our opponents because we are too coward to challenge anyone on the line of scrimmage. Even when we rush 3 & drop 8, the holes in the zone is so spacious, it's like catching a ball in the Pacific Ocean. Coaches are to blame if they don't put players in a position to succeed. If we play them next year with the same lame defensive game plan, we'll get the same result....

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The real kicker is that Texans team is made of all ex-Patriots coaches. They know Brady the best, and that is how they decided to attack him.

We took none of it into consideration. In fact it looked like a Dick Lebeau game plan with how zone heavy it was.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Nafsteelers

Nafsteelers Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    We should hire Romeo Crennel just so we can beat the freaking Pats! Lol..

5. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Exactly, the sad thing is that we had the personnel to do it as Dupree burst through the middle a couple of times to get Blount in the backfield, we had corners bigger and stronger than the Patriots little wrs that could press. It's just astonishing that they do not game plan for different teams and worse do not even make adjustments at the half. They found some success in what the Patriots can't defend in the short over the middle passes, Ben completes 13 in a row, then they go back to run, run, throw a 40 yard bomb to guys not named Antonio on 3rd and short. Ben is also to blame because for being given liberty to audible at the line he is not good at reading defenses. The steelers offense was completely predictable and took all the guess work out of it for the Patriots. You could tell everyone they were going to run and the routes four most of the game left Ben with nowhere to throw with success. Ben also needs to man up and run qb sneaks on the goal line, he is 240 lbs and he is handing out to Williams who looks 170 lbs soak and wet to run through branch from the backfield?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    trade up in the draft and get the best CB available. try and sign a good solid vet corner in the offseason. Then change the scheme. DBs we have now just don't have the talent to man up imo. They were lost in the sauce leaving that creepy looking hogan dude open many times. Easily confused by a savvy QB. I do like the safeties Davis and Mitchell though. Gotta make changes quick because who knows much longer Ben is gonna be around and once he leaves, this team could fall into the abyss. Window is closing fast. And ya, not changing the scheme at all during the game is a head scratcher. Butler must know that the talent isn't there in the back end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    They have no choice but to play zone!!!!! We have ZERO cbs good enough to play man to man coverage. The other thing, which I've said before is the D-line, the LBers aren't bad but when you only have to account for 1 guy on the D-line and you can't really rest anyone, well they won't take up blocks and the LBers get picked up so no pressure can get to QB. Artie Burns will be serviceable, and you may like hearing it but he isn't anywhere close to being, or will ever be, a man to man cover corner, he is too big and isn't shifty enough to change direction, that forces him to guess routes. Cockrell is ok against mediocre competition but against good QBs he struggles as he is slow and he isn't good at tackling. The D-Line and the entire secondary need to be worked on, the secondary especially, the only teams as bad as the Steelers in the secondary are the Saints, Packers, Panthers, and the Jets. I got busted on for not being optimistic but as an older and long time fan I've seen this show before, ever since the new defensive rules package was put in place, the Steelers struggle when playing top tier QBs, the only time we win against spread offenses is when they make mistakes repeatedly, like I said about GB and all their dropped passes, or when we match score for score. The secondary hasn't improved much since the likes of Terrell Pryor beat this team, a guy who had to switch to wide receiver to stay in the league, or dare I mention Tebow, the guy's only 300 yard passing game ever was against the Steelers. I knew we would get carved up and guys were saying the pats weren't that great, well they are when they need to be, it doesn't matter because even if we somehow pulled that game out, we would have looked as lost as GB did when it comes to the Falcons. And Haley doesn't get a pass, his schemes fool nobody, the DBs know the routes as you see only a few wide open guys during the game, it is why Ben has been throwing a lot of INTs as of late, because the routes are predictable and never changes. So if you do good film study you'll be able to cover pretty well. See ya all next year, hopefully they focus on the D-line in the draft, that would help in stopping the run and possibly getting penetration to apply pressure without having to blitz to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Keith Butler, that being said this game has to be the most unprepared
    defensive and Offensive game plan that I have seen in over 45 years of watching Steeler football.
    If I am Art II I am wanting answers from head coach on down. I would ask them, tell me how
    your going to get us past the Pats and real quick.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Steelers Sideline

Steelers Sideline Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    I thought they would press up....I was wrong. It just amazes me that they didnt have a backup plan when they seen it wasn't working. They just kept doing the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Butler understood that. The rest of the coaches understood that. If the coaches horses didn't execute on the plan then what we witnessed tends to happen. The Steelers still don't have a consistent pass rush threat. The Pats did some things to create some match up issues during the game. I also believe the young players in the Steelers secondary made some mistakes in coverage.

11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Same def game plan every time we play the Cheats, with DLB or Butler as def co - so what's the common denominator in all these losses?

12. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I agree
    Give our guys a chance
    It only takes a quick jab to the shoulder to throw the off
    That disrupts the whole play for this team
    Giving them free release off the line is beyond annoying
    Oh and it's never worked before for us so why would it magically work now
    SMH.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ultimately both?

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fire them both.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Butler is the DC...Tomlin is the HC.....the HC could of stepped in at any time and told the DC what he wanted.....he didn't....:shrug:. The have small shifty receivers that our bigger CBs would have more trouble in space and they sure did....the only chance was to get physical and force them to try and beat them over the top...instead it was pitch and catch all nite. There were plenty of third and longs we needed to get aggressive on and we just sat back....we certainly lived in our fears....Tomlin needs to drop that slogan.practice what you preach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Pretty sure the game plan going in to the game was to score more points with our BBB combo....... didn't happen. I'd blame the offense more than the defense in this loss, but they made the AFCCG so I wouldn't be calling for heads to roll, sheesh.

17. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I said the same thing at the party I was at. The best way to beat Brady and back in the day Manning was to keep them off the field. You don't do that by going 3 and out. On the flip side to that when we were first and goal and ended up throwing a jump ball to our 5th WR after 2 failed running plays straight at their best run stuffer I almost walked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I think it was 2011 or 2012 but there was a game the Steelers beat the patriots in Pittsburgh and jammed the WR's at the line and won when the pats had gronk. Why they don't play man and switch it up for Brady I have no idea. Edelman and Hogan were so wide open its embarrassing. Also offensive plays early were lame. 3rd and 1 on the first Steelers drive and they pass deep? Come on

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Dollars to donuts the same people calling for butler's head are the same ones that claimed football had passed by DL

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe that Tomlin signs off on the game plan. Fail...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Tangential to your point... Butler is DL. I mean, I don't see much difference.

22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Maybe Brady is just a once in a lifetime QB who can pick our D apart and our coaches know we're neither good enough to stop him nor adjust. Thank you Denver for beating them in 2005...can't remember why we didn't play them in 2009 and 2011

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And Butler has been here 15 years he knows Brady well, his stubborn streak to switch from zone to man up coverage amazes me, his refusal to blitz brady when he clearly sees his lack of pressure isnt working makes me wonder what is his problem, his refusal to put a cover on hogan the whole game is another thing that bugged me the whole game, I say fire him and haley both and lets get a fresh start with some innovative coordinators, i'd say fire Tomlin too but we know we have to endure his clueless management for eternity, and I know after not showing up in the second biggest game of the year we want to fire everybody, but these two has cost us games all year long with their poor game planning.....

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The reason we can't adjust is we don't have the talent ...The few times we tried man to man guys got open even faster ...As I have stated for years Mike is a in the box Safety which is bad for a zone he got burnt muliple times...Gay is getting old and slow and he got burnt multiple times...Ross is a average CB at best and he got burnt multiple times...We need Safeties that can play Safety the correct way...We need CB'S who can actually match up with guys and play them....

Our D was just smoke and mirrors and Brady and company just tore it apart and the sad part is had we pressed or played man they would have scored even more points...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    While I agree that the gameplan going in was a big swing-and-a-miss, the lack of adjustments coming out of halftime was HUGE. BB and TB had to be laughing to themselves about it...