1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 10, 2015.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Looking at the D last season, poor rush, poor coverage ..... just too many holes to fix in one draft when the money just wasn't there to supplement the draft with major free-agent signings. Throw in youth and it makes it even harder. I have seen Troy, Ike, Ryan Clark etc. look just as clueless against the Pats but the talent level in the current secondary definitely stinks. Looking at the current group and their draft selection stats reveal a lot. Other than injured Gholson (2nd rd )....

C. Allen - 4th rd
    W. Allen 4th rd
    Gay - 5th rd
    Shamarko - 4th rd
    Mike Mitchell - 2nd rd Raider reach
    Boykin - 4th rd
    Blake - undrafted

There just has not been a concerted effort by the team to address the secondary and it's baffling.

2. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011

Someone please explain to me how a team completely forgets about a Monster like Gronkowski!! That was the most absurd game ever. Leaving that guy completely free is just ridiculous coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    While I'm not subscribing to the "fire him" proclamation I will say he does have some blame to shoulder along with Lake and Tomlin. Not getting pressure on Brady is directly related to his quick passes. The yards they gained was assisted by poor tackling. The points came from not properly guarding Gronk.

Its was bad, off coverage, confused assignments, poor clock management..... so much blame to go around. Poor coverage and tackling techniques being taught... or not. Poor game blame. Poor assignments. Poor communications all around. Poor preparations this week.

Cajun-

4. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I wouldn't pull the trigger just yet Butler will be fine.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I definitley don't blame Butler because i refuse to believe that he did not emphasize the importance of covering Tom Brady's favorite target.
    He's only 6'6 270 pounds you can't miss him. Unless the defense is too complacated for our players to understand. It was always said
    it takes a couple of years to learn and then you throw in a few wrinkles and starting rookies. Mmmmmmm.

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Absolutely. When the steelers start putting a focus and a priority on CBs and Ss then we will improve. We don't have a legitmate number one corner. I believe the front 7 is fine, but we have no one that can cover long enough for them to get to the quarterback.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Obviously not :eek:

Hey Lambert, nice profile pic!

Ummmm, let's look at the Offense too...21 points could have been scored, came up with...3

8. eire_steeler

eire_steeler Active Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The talk about firing a DC after one game is clearly an overreaction, especially with the talent on the back end that he has to work with.

I must say though that it is deeply, traumatisingly worrying that there isn't an ablsolute locked in plan to try to deal with gronk. That plan will fail a lot because the man is a monster, but the fact that you can forget him in the red zone, try to cover him with a random linebacker when he 'surprisingly' splits from the goal line set or with Willie gay on multiple plays is not confidence inspiring.

Brady does not need the help he was given last night but by god will he accept and punish it gladly.

There where things to raise hope this season last night but the d was not one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ding, ding, ding...........you Sir, get the Mother Teresa Cloister Award - you apparently signed up for this MB on Jan 2 2012 and waited nearly 4 years until 9-11-15 to make your initial post. Now that's diplomacy. I guess you saw something you REALLY didn't like last night in Foxboro. Your honorable restraint must have gotten the best of you. Welcome - old timer?? :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. eire_steeler

eire_steeler Active Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Cheers man, ya I have a tendency to just lurk and soak up the flow of the place but as my man popeye was fond of saying, I've had all I can stands I can't stands no more.

Seriously I love gronk as a player. That might not be a popular opinion round here but the guy can just flat out play. That's why I hate to see a team, my team, show such absolute disregard for a genuinely great player. Make him play his absolute best if he is going to beat you. Make them all work for it.

They didnt do that last night. Just my thoughts

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Welcome!

I was impressed with our pass rush, especially compared to the last two years. Against a lesser QB I think many of those pressures and close calls hit pay dirt. I would like to see Dupree move around a little more to get him a free lane to the QB. With his burst and size I think he could be deadly coming up the middle on a blitz.

I expect the confusion in the secondary to stop sooner rather than later.

12. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    did Boykin play?
    I also listened to ESPN Insiders and NFL Live, The D was confused because the headsets were broadcasting the CHEATS* radio broadcast for the 1st half into our coaches headsets

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The thing that made me laugh, cry, and punch a hole into the wall all at the same time...were the first 3 passes that Marsha threw ... exact same spot 3 times in a row!!!.. ....As for not getting any pressure...thats Marsha getting rid of the ball quick and our wonderful secondary allowing him to do it when they're playing back 40 yards from the line.... He did the same thing in the SB..(even tho Seattles secondary were all playing injured) ...he tore them up the same way...their LB's coundn't get to him..he was getting rid of the ball within 3 seconds.

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Though the front 7 didn't have a great game, they didn't really have a bad game. The secondary is awful - but that is really hard to blame Butler at all for that...maybe some, I certainly do not understand why Shazier wasn't on Gronk at all, but just leaving the guy in the middle of the field wide open is more of a secondary communication issue.

Sorry to say, but I still lay a lot of this $hit pile at the feet of Tomlin, Colbert, and LeBeau. Colbert and Tomlin for a lack of recognition of integrating new blood into the secondary. Everybody thought the Steelers should be salivating last night because the Pats had to start two brand new guys on the O Line....but hey guess what they still have 3 guys in Wendell, Volmer, and Solder (who really did get abused by Harrison early on) who have started. The Patriots are always going through change in their lineup...every single year, but not wholesale changes to one unit. The Patriots offense is Top 10 every year, but every single year they have 2-3 new starters. The Steelers secondary is not only not of a high pedigree but it is also extremely green - no wonder they have communication issues. This secondary alone may alone be able to sabotage the season.

And this is where I still blame LeBeau some too, because Dick didn't like change....he liked his guys and thus we had Ike Taylor back there forever - and I like Ike, he was a great Steeler. For far too long back through 2010, 2011, the powers that be said we got a top 5 defense let's do everything we can to keep it together where they should have said, the NFL is constantly changing and we need to continually introduce new blood and find value where we can. Butler really cannot be blamed for that....at least not yet.

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!!! When I saw it I figured it was some kind of a joke. If fans from other boards come over here today they are gonna be like "Dang those TSF gus ARE hardcore!!!" LOL!!!

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    What is Fire Keith Butler?

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I could diagnose THIS defense. All you have to do is find our corner and throw it 10 yards short and there shall be your wideout. LOL.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It didn't take Brady and Gronk two years to learn it. Man if they had 2 years they might score a million. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. grayghost668

grayghost668 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I am not defending Butler,but Brady did not break 300 yrds and I was expecting 400 or better and at least 5 Tds,give it a few games they may get better

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A little too early yet. I just don't know if any coaching or scheme can make up for the complete lack of talent.

I do not have much faith in anyone back there. Cortez, will allen, Mitchell, Blake and golden. How good can we expect to be.

It's a sad day when Will Gay is the best member of our secondary.

Where is Boykin? He is clearly better than most of our CBs.

Our secondary will be our Achilles heel all year long.

Why was Shazier not covering Gronk? I thought for sure that was going to happen. Yet I see Garvin trying to cover him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. There seemed to be some good adjustments made in the second half, and the Pats were unimpressive at points when they could have shut the game down. People may say they let their foot off the gas, but that's not been Bellichick's MO in the past.

(Adjustments at half time? That's close to a revolution in coaching at Pittsburgh, surely...?)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Garvin was in because of the goaline package. What Tomlin should have did, was called a t.o. The minute Gronk broke formation and split out. Billycheater would have

23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    ARE????? i wish he was back there instead of AB on that one play

and well actually that one play only

;-)

24. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah we need to stop treating timeouts like they're earning compounding interest in a bank account, and actually use the darn things!

When we do use them, they are usually to prevent a 5-yard penalty early in games. When we should use them, is when we have the possibility of putting points on the board or preventing our opponent form doing the same.

• Like Like x 1
  25. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    And darcrav for the hat trick! Any more zingers up your sleeve today? :thumbs_up: