1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIRE BRUCE ARIANS TOMORROW MORNING!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Dec 19, 2011.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    :amen: A 53-25 record by the head coach with a 5-2 record in the playoffs, 3 out of the last 4 division championships, and playoffs 4 out of 5 years. I wonder how many owners would take THAT over what they currently have. Probably quite a few.

2. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

The team ranks 23rd in points scored. How is that a top 10 offense? The Minnesota Vikings have scored more points than the Steelers. The Denver Broncos have scored more points than the Steelers. The Miami Dolphins have scored more points than the Steelers. I really don't know what more needs to be said.

3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder what our performance would be over the last two season would be if we had a competent offensive coordinator.

4. cork

cork Active Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Just my 2 cents FWIW. Hypothetically, I am a player sitting there listening to the game plan on Thurs. or Fri. and I realize we have used this before and it hasn't worked very well,if at all. I also know that there will be no adjustments. My franchise QB is lame, my pro-bowl center is out. I would have a hard time getting motivated. Yea yea I know, I should be a professional and step it up a notch. However when I doubt my leadership, know from past experience that this is not the best way to attack the other team I am naturally not going to play with the required intensity. Its hard to be motivated when you don't believe. Just a thought.

5. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Here we go again, yeah, its all Bruce Arians fault. :roll: Ahhhh, gotta love these posts.

6. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Yep, exactly, well said.

7. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The lack of offensive production is all Bruce Arians' fault. He has a potential HOF QB, three terrific WRs, a top-notch TE, a decent RB corps...and he struggles to score more than 13 points a game with this group. 'Nuff said.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Those stats don't mean squat when you can't get in the EZ. This team has great difficulty scoring TD's which is on BA. This isn't a one game phenomenon but it has been going on for several years. That is on BA. In scoring position, This team runs the same old tired 5 WR empty backfield, delayed draw to mini memo, maddening bubble screen plays, and hand off to "dancing" Rahtard to run behind the worst starting G's in the NFL, and will not use a true FB. That is on BA. This team puts up great numbers between the 20's but gets no points. That is on BA. Why can't we come up with effective scoring plays in the EZ? Thats the OC's job and that is on BA. The only stat I care about is wins. And the number of wins this team has is lower than it should be based on the superstar talent they have on O. This team finds ways to win in spite of the play calling, formations, blocking schemes, routes, etc. Because of heroic individual efforts to overcome our crappy OC. And that my friends, is on BA. And if MT can't see what a blind man can see, then MT needs to be gone too. Its time to cut ties with the bufoon BA, Mike. Wake up and do your job!

F.B.A.I

9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Because offenses are rated on YPG and not PPG.

As I said, they have trouble scoring points not moving the ball. Tweak the offense, not start over.

10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    All Arians fault?

Really?

I guess it's Arians fault they have 3 turn overs in the RZ in the past 2 games?
    :roll:

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    STATS SHMATS! We are middle of the road offensively,and have been for years.(We are top 5 defensively and have been for years.) Why is it so wrong to want more? Can you honestly sit there and say there is no room for improvement? We hopefully all agree we have the talent to be better and we should be better offensively,no? The man has had more than enough time to bring us to the level we should be at,he isn't getting it done.You can blame execution all you want. I've been saying for years he doesn't put his players in the best position to succeed.What are we supposed to do fire the whole offensive unit? I didn't think so,right ,wrong or indifferent, something needs to be done. How much longer should we give him? It might not be totally fair but last time I checked the NFL was a business. He is not going to change his ways and he isn't going to become a good situational play-caller overnite.So tell me those of you who still support him,What would you do to take this offense to the level they should be performing at ??

12. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course it's his fault. Just like all the posts that talk about all of this tremendous talent we have as if the entire offensive unit were #1 draft picks. Everytime I see one of our lineman getting steamrolled in to the QB (MAX STARKS LAST NIGHT) I reflect on all that wonderful talent LOL! Then for posters to talk about "Just look at how good the 49ers offense was last night" pointing to Alex Smith I can only laugh even more. Of course Smith was successful becasue he was barely pressured ALL NIGHT LONG ! Then I saw another post talking about the game being another example of playing DOWN to the competition. Are you freakin kidding me. We were playing a 10 and 3 team with the #1 D on the road. I'm convinced some of these folks imagined we were playing the Browns last night. Then to top it off we're playing this highly competitive 49er team with a boat load of walking wounded 1st string players and our biggest threat on Defense sitting at home tweeting about the lights going out. Yea we should have beat the 49ers 45 to 0. Damn you Bruce ! LOL! I'm hoping Santa gives a sense of reality to some of our members here for Christmas.

13. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They insist on playing sand lot football. I have said this many times before, our best game of the year was against New England, short passes just enough to get the first down. I believe in taking a shot down field a few times a game. Against New england Heath Miller single handedly caught every pass on the drive except a couple.

14. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with wanting more and no one says that the offense cannot improve. However, if we are looking at just last night (as many are) it is NOT a case against Bruce Arians. It's just that simple. If anything, it was one of his better game plans of the season. THAT'S what the stats show. The Steelers moved the ball efficiently the whole game against a long field almost EVERY time they got the ball. Their failures in LAST NIGHT'S game were due to a terrible performance by Ben AND some really STUPID penalties. The last I checked, none of those things are written into a game plan. The stats point to the fact that Bruce actually knew what Ben's limitations would be and planned accordingly. Frankly, if Ben doesn't throw the picks, we're all in here today talking about how dominant the Steelers were last night.

I have said it before that I am neither a supporter nor hater of Bruce Arians. If he were fired at the end of the season, I would not shed a tear. If he came back next year, I would not shed a tear. However, using last night as an example is NOT a good case to get rid of him. If anything, it's an argument to keep him and get rid of Ben.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    how can tomlin fire arians if he is not even able to pull ben in the 4 qtr ? he has no power is only a ben p.r.

16. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    What game were you watching last night ?? They revamped the O to be in shotgun almost all night long to protect a QB that could barely walk. They ATTEMPTED more short passes and slants than they ever would have had Ben been healthy. It didn't work because the 49ers D was all over the short passing game knowing Ben had to move the ball quickly because he couldn't stand back there and take the hits. Pretty easy to defend when you don't have to respect both the long and short passing game, totally unlike the circumstances when they played the Pats this year. Having said that they did hit Miller numerous times which resulted in a few of the best plays of the game.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hear what you're saying as well.It's just so frustrating there have been far too many games,for far too many years when our offense has gone out and laid an egg, someone has to take responsibility for that and you can't keep blaming the players and or execution.Sorry there has to be a fall guy sometimes,because the production is unacceptable.

18. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    I hear what you're saying and I get as pissed as you do when I see games like last nite. That said I think when team ownership thinks of "laying an egg" they're putting more consideration in overall record versus just offense or defense performance. For example 4 and 10 would be laying an egg versus 10 and 4 and a spot in the playoffs. The reality is that there are games where one unit or the other, including special teams, bails the team out and as long as the team keeps producing a winning record I doubt ownership would even entertain something like a major offensive overhaul not to mention there's only so much money to go around which they seem to try and spread the best they can between the offense and defense. If you look around the NFL I doubt you'll find a team with both a stellar offense and defense. As good as the packers and Pats are this year their fans are complaining about their defensive units (coaches and players). Improving the O isn't just about changing BA. A new Coordinator will want their type of players to execute their offensive philosophy / game plan and it's likely that won't be all of the same players we currently have which means re-tooling which means taking a risk. So... team ownership has to weigh that risk with the current environment which is already a winning environment and apparently the view is that risk isn't worth taking yet or BA would have been gone already.

19. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Wow, so we actually have people in here saying, but we won all the stats. Yep, except the one which matters....points. We get so caught up in the wrong things. BA's job is to help the offense put points on the board. Turnovers never help. I don't think that is even up for debate. What is up for debate is how the plays called affects the chances for a TO. If you can watch the game last night and tell me that the 49ers didn't know what was coming on almost every play, you watched a different game.

20. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    No the one stat that really matters right now is 10 and 4. Let's not throw dirt on them just yet.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone see when We ran a god ugly running play that the RB miraculously made a gain out of, and Gruden was like "What the hell was that play"? Then he quickly covered up his tracks and praised BA for his masterful play calls.

22. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. BA is great at moving the ball, just not into the endzone.

23. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Really? They knew what was coming? Then how in the hell did they let our offense succeed as much as it did? The picks were on POOR throws - not because they knew the play.

I'm not saying that we WON the game. What I am saying is the BA's playcalling and gameplanning did not LOSE THIS PARTICULAR game. For those who want BA to be fired - move on to another game. This was one of his better planed/called games. That's all. I don't like him or hate him, but at least use solid evidence to get rid of him and last night's game does not qualify for that.

24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    1. You are right: Arians is not to blame for the team's loss. That was not the reason for my OP.

2. What became glaringly apparent, however, was the 49ers execution last night and some terrific play calling was better than anything I have seen in 12 of the Steelers' 13 previous games. My point was, the 49ers looked terrific offensively, with less talent. Now, granted, I don't watch every 49er game, so I don't know how that team performs week in and week out, but my frustration (very Joe Greene like, from 1974) was, "Why can't we play like that? Why can't we execute like that?" And those questions come up almost every week. And there really is only one constant: Bruce Arians.

3. Yes, the 49ers defense looked like it "knew" what was coming because the Steelers' passing game is easy to shut down. The only reason the Steelers get any kind of production out of the passing game is because Ben is able to extend the play and MAKE a play. And the reason he has to do this is because 4 out of 5 times, there is NOTHING there in the play to begin with.

4. There are very few instances with the Steeler offense where I sit back and say, "What a well-designed play." I said this THREE times on one drive for the 49ers. The screen pass. The counter pass to Vernon Davis. The play-action TD. In ONE DRIVE, the 49ers had three plays that were better designed and better executed than just about any play I have seen from the Steelers this whole season. Seriously. And it was this, not the result of the game, that led me to post the OP.

25. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Except the Steelers are averaging 20 points per game with the worst field goal kicker in the league and they are 10-4.