1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Finney

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Dec 27, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Will we run the ball better and protect better with finney in there? We had a couple of good games when he played earlier this year. :cool:

2. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I actually think Finney is an instant upgrade over Foster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    BJ Finney is like a lucky rabbit foot on his when he has a start. Steelers record is like 9-1 or something crazy like that.

Steelers should of let Foster go and let Finney start. Foster is cleary not in shape and way over weight.

Look no further than last week, when the Steelers ran a screen pass, he couldn't even dream of getting out ahead and making a block.

Should of been a 40 yard touchdown play if he can make any kind of block on the corner.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I agree. Foster is signed through 2020 with a dead cap hit of 1,575mill which wouldn't be a killer cut. He is due 4 mill if he stays. Although Finney can play all inside positions. They will keep Foster for another year I believe.

5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I think they keep him out of the starting lineup week to week as a contingency plan. He's too valuable because of his ability to be inserted across the line. Once you relegate him to one position, he can't step in for an inured/dinged up/suspended lineman. Unless a starter goes on IR, I don't see him taking a specific spot on the line.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Finney will start at Center.

7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    When? Sunday or next year? I was talking about long term. Inserting him for a game or two is what I'm saying his value is.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Finney is a UFA at the end of the year as far as I know, and will therefore probably be gone to another team unless they assure him a starting spot. He’d start for most teams.

They should cut Foster, they probably shouldn’t have even extended him in the first place tbh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The one I really liked that they let go was Fred Johnson...Looked great albeit preseason games....Then hung around almost halfway through the season...They always had such high praise for him...Anyone know what became of him?

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the one hope is that he loves being a Steeler.

Go to youtube and watch him bawl his eyes out in front of his family when the Steelers gave him an undrafted FA contract.

But he's put in his time to be a starter either on the Steelers or with some one else.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Next year they need to start him at center and move Pouncey to guard.

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Fixed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That might not be a bad plan. Pouncey is still relatively young and should be well able to play guard for the remainder of his contract which is another two years

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought Finney played well when MP was out/suspended and it looks like we will get another look at him this week.

I am all for letting Foster go we can save 4 mil and if we have to use 2 mil to replace him or a back up we are still 2 mil ahead. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is likely Finney signs elsewhere. I am not certain if Finney wants to continue to stay knowing he might not get a shot of starting. Keep in mind he is 28 as well. Not exactly a long term option at the center position.

If anything, what many of us witnessed in the Week 11 contest against the Los Angeles Rams could very well be the lineup come 2020. In that game, Ramon was out due to a concussion. As for the lineup, here it was that day;

LT: Big Al

LG: Matt Feiler

C: Pouncey

RG: D. Decastro

RT: Chuks Okorafor

This decision coming up with Finney is going to affect the whole Offensive Line moving forward. It could also potentially affect the 2020 Draft as a whole as well. Should that line combination be the new normal come 2020 with Finney gone, Pittsburgh will have no choice but to invest in an Offensive Center.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fred Johnson is now the starting Left Tackle for the Cincinnati Bengals. Will not surprise me if he becomes a quality starting one in the long run. A NFL Offseason of Training will do wonders for players like him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Pouncey should've been moved to guard awhile back IMO more certainly now if he wishes to continue forward.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

I really hope Pittsburgh has Finney become Ramon's replacement. Something tells me this might not happen though. Matt Feiler's contract tender ends this season.

Have to lock him up long term. In addition, Feiler will be younger at 27 next season whereas Finney will be 29. Add the fact that it might be time to see what Chuks can do in Year Three and all signs point to Finney leaving.

The Wild Card here is Alejandro Villenueva. He will become 32 next season. Zach Banner will be not only younger at 27 but also be a RFA in 2020. Will the Steelers get younger at that spot too?!

Quite a bit to ponder on for certain.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not sure if this would be the best plan of action. He will be 31 and coming off a knee injury the same. Suffice it to say, Maurkice is likely to stay in that spot.

You do bring up a good indirect point. There is no successor to him. Need to find one.

20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The future especially with his knee is uncertain. I personally think pounce should've been moved to guard awhile back. I think he was better suited for it and wouldve upgrade Foster spot no doubt. Hard to make switches as he ages and the injury history in tow but I think he's got enough left to make the switch, put Finney as center and roll... AV needs addressing as well if he can't outright rebound but Foster needs to go for more than financial reasoning.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am hoping Steelers draft at the minimum 2 OL this draft.

22. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    What's up with JC Hassenauer? Just saw he is on the active roster. Also, Derwin Gray comes back next year. So he might be able to help.

The Fred Johnson thing still makes me sick. Why they left a young OL with potential exposed I'll never understand. Especially when the OL as a whole is as old as they are.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    My guess would be Finney starts at Center and Banner gets the start at RT

LT: Big Al 27yrs

LG: Pouncey 30yrs

C: Finney 28yrs

RG: D. Decastro 29yrs

RT: Zack Banner 26yrs

I can see this line lasting for a couple of more years. Moving Pouncey to LG should give him more years at the top of his game.
    The loss of Munch hurt this year.