1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Find the money to pay Hargrave

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Letting him go would be a big mistake. He hasn't even reached his ceiling yet.

Rams couldn't handle his bull rush.

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast.

Yeah, I was little down on Hargrave a few weeks ago. Not because of his performance. It has been Excellent! It is more me, that I want to see a true Nose Tackle out of the Casey Hampton mode playing in his spot and have Hargrave more skewed to the outside. I have read all of the counter-arguments to my opinion. Basically, that in today's era versus Casey's, the NT position and responsibilities have changed. I get that. However, I am not fully conceding my position.

I think that a Casey type NT would only heighten our "D" to even another level. Even given how super they are playing right now. I envision that player commanding multiple blockers, as Casey did, which would even further free up our "D" to cause even greater havoc than what they have been able to accomplish up to this point. I do agree with you Blast. We definitely have to find a way to retain him in Pittsburgh. STEELWINDS

3. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I loved Hampton but in today’s game he would play 50% of the snaps at best, and possibly as little as 33-40%. Just the way the game has evolved.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Joshi.

Yes, I know that is the primary counter-argument. I get it. I guess, I just want to see it implemented to see how it does work out. Other teams, to some degree, are still implementing it. I really do not have any data to support its effectiveness or lack thereof. And I am not saying to go out and get one as an experimentation. I do not believe in waste. Management probably has done their homework on this idea and have concluded that like many have pointed out it does not fit into their defensive philosophy. I am not in the board room so I do not know their mind-set. Given all of that, I am still a proponent of the concept in some form. STEELWINDS

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    How would we pay him Blast?! It is difficult for certain as he will command good money. For that matter, I believe it might come down to either keeping Hargrave long term or tagging Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not my job, AQL!

I have faith in Omar. Cap will go up too. Cut some dead weight, I don't care, figure it out. He's a beast.

• Like Like x 3
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not doubting him per se. It is just a difficult situation at present. I am just not certain it is going to happen.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No doubt. I should have put a laughing emoticon after it's not my job because I know it will be difficult and glad I don't have to do it.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hey man!!

Me and you both! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast.

Yeah, Omar usually comes through. However, we know that with a salary-capped sport it becomes a difficult task to keep them all. At least it not a Dupree-type discussion (not picking on Bud here). As Hargrave has been proven his worth year in and year out IMO. You will get no argument from me regarding his value to our team. STEELWINDS

11. Bama Steel

Bama Steel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    If we can't sign him, it would be nice to get Daron Payne from Washington, somehow. I'm just sayin', but he has Steeler written all over him.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What I would not give to have him. I thought it could not get any better when Johnathan Allen came out. Da'Ron Payne has game wrecking capabilities.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it was Hargrave with the pressure on Goff's fumble, which Fitzpatrick scooped up for a TD. I think he will test the market, the Steelers probably won't meet his asking price. I think they will find a way to sign Dupree instead, they can find another NT in the third or fourth round.

14. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Watt is due an extension this off-season. So is Watt. So is JuJu. So is Connor. So is Dupree. We can't pay everyone.

Hargrave plays about 1/3 of the defensive snaps in our system. On some teams' systems he'd play full time and would get paid as such. It's much better for him financially and professionally to move on to a 4-3 team. Id liked to keep him also but it's not realistic.

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed 100% there have been a few here early this season talking about his snap count. Now with the Tuitt injury he is getting them and it is paying off. I have said this in many posts but our DR's are making a ton of money. Tuitt is at 14.9 mil and Heyward is at 13.2 mil, with that said we need to sign Digger. I feel we can find the money and I also feel Digger has been a well kept secret and will not break the bank.

Right now there are only 2 3-4 DT's making 10mil or more a year but there are many more 4-3 DT's making 10mil or more. There is also a lot of DT's on the FA market which will help us keep him. Right now with all DT's scheduled to be FA Digger is 9th in tackles & sacks and 11th in QB hits. All them numbers are going to improve but I feel like there is a lot of youth at this position becoming FA's and we should be ok with finding a contract to keep Digger. Phillips, Robertson-harris, Collins, Butler, Brockers, Shelton, Ridgeway, Butler and Reader are all under 29 yrs old most being 27 and all are showing success. I like our chances of being able to get Digger at a nice price.

Chick is scheduled to make a little over 6 mil and Barron 8.1 mil. Both can be cut without a big cap hit and replaced with a lower priced FA or draft pick and that money can go to Digger. JMO :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was hoping they would have signed Hargrave this off season. The issue is that both Ends have massive contracts.
    Dupree will be gone so the money will be there unless they franchise him. The great Alvins stock dropped after yesterdays performance.

17. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I don’t entirely disagree with you. I have just been convinced to a degree by others that the day of the 1 technique nose tackle have ended. Of course those same people say the fullback is extinct, whereas the Steelers make good use of Nix and the Niners loved their fullback until his injury.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree 100%, he is playing lights out, doesn't get hurt much, and they couldn't handle him yesterday.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Funny how these guys play so well in contract years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Even more intriguing is how some do not. Jadeveon Clowney is one of them. Jalen Ramsey also can be factored in as well.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Except for the season while he was playing through a back injury, he has always played good. He gets better every year.

22. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Agreed. He started as a rookie and played well even then. He just never got the fans' love because he followed Hampton.

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Watt, Conner, and Juju all will have one more year under rookie deal. This is usually when the Steelers like to extend but I don't see how they can do all 3 with Bens contract. Conner seems to be the least important of the 3. But I fear paying one or two and not all 3 might piss somebody off. They might not even have enough cap to sign one. Letting McDonald and Chick go will free up 11 mill. Might be able to lock down one. Then the other next year. The problem is year after that Minkah and Edmunds will need to be paid.

24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Bens contract is the elephant in the room. They are going to lose good players as a result. Sutton also looks worth keeping around from that brilliant 2017 class although he won’t be a priority

I’d hate to lose Hargrave but it’s just not realistic to keep him unfortunately

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    We can keep one of Bud and Hargrave, and maybe someone minor like Sutton, with a few roster moves. Still have some decent picks too. Don't think we're going near any other FAs beyond that. Wonder what it would take for Ben to retire :prayer:.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1