1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Financial advantage to 3-4 defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NickSteel, Mar 13, 2012.

1. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    The hooplah around Mario Williams' free-agency has me thinking that we have the right scheme for minimizing the cost of our defense. Our pass rushing OLBs are much more cost effective than top-flight 4-3 DL. There is talk about MW becoming the top paid defensive player in the league. I am extremely thankful we don't have any position on D that we have to drop ridiculous money on. I'd be interested to see the average money spent on D between 3-4 and 4-3 teams, with performance taken into consideration of course.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Timmons, Woodley, Harrison all have contracts above 45 mill. No chump change here.

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    True, but the OP is right, a 4-3 usually requires a much bigger salary handed out to the front 7. That's a big reason why so many teams have switched to the 3-4 in the last couple decades. Aaron Smith is one of the best DE's in the history of the NFL, but he didn't get paid like it.

4. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Well, after Mario Williams just signed a contract for $100 million for 6 years with almost as much guaranteed money ($50 million) as their full contracts, I would say comparatively it is chump change. We get Harrison AND Woodley for $12 million more than one Mario for the same span of time. I can't help but think this is a MAJOR advantage, and I really hope we never switch to a 4-3.