1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, some actual news

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Mar 11, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    im pretty sure the Steelers screwed themselves by resigning their own aging vets in the uncapped year. They kept an aging Super Bowl winning team together in hopes of winning another and the rest as they say is history

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I watched him last year and he looks NFL ready more so than any other QB out there. I understand some of his first seasons were painful to watch but whatever it was made him a better player.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This has been a fatal flaw of the Steelers over the years. They’ll keep a veteran player one contract too many. It’s admirable in a sense, but a team has to know when to cut bait when physical ability, which declines with age, is the number one determinant of success.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They should have kept Feiler and left him at RT.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Ohhh the void cba I didn't realize it was uncapped.

Did anyone get a fine as a result of going over that year? Did any of those teams go on a deep playoff run?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Didn't see it here but maulet got a 2 year deal? How you guys feeling?

I was at the chargers game and if there is 1 guy on this roster ( now for the foreseeable future) that will spin to be a coach it's maulet.

I'm not speaking on play, there is some left to be desired. Seeing him on the sidelines he looked more like a coach. I'd bet him having a good future coaching.
    I know that it doesn't make a player but we've seen some have better coaching careers than playing.

4 years from now out of the NFL 8 years he'll be coaching in the pros.

I don't hate the signing but we aren't signing coaches to play on the field.
    Just my thoughts on him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Good point. I should have made that clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Aaron Rodgers? Russell Wilson? Carson Wentz? Deshaun Watson? Khalil Mack? Pfft who cares. We just resigned Miles Killebrew and Arthur Maulet, Lombardi #7 is guaranteed now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You pretty much did, not debating

I was just thinking last year, some team, not to be mentioned, had “starters” who maybe are positions of improvement

And by one method or another, we’re acquired

I’m nit picking

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And this is why if you think the Steelers are gonna go nuts in free agency, you might want to temper your expectations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I understand the bitterness but its business. Didn't watch his performance vs Indy.

That being said they need to bring in a vet. I don't expect Bush to be anymore then we have seen at this point. Big year for the fashion plate. I feel his issues are above the neck. Maybe Flores can change the course.

The ILBer room is average at best.

Again the Schobert contract is absurd and has to be dealt with. Look at the cap hit vs the dead money in 2022. Alter or be released. He is not worth that coin. The Vince Williams retirement was the catalyst.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/joe-schobert-19053/

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I honestly don’t know why the Schobert cut hasn’t happened yet. The only things that pop into mind are that they are potentially moving Bush, and would then need a Mack linebacker which would better fit for Schobert than his role last year, or they’re trying working out a pay cut to keep him at a lesser cap hit. No way should he be retained as a starting Buck next to Bush at all, never mind at that salary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd rather they try for Bobby Wagner even if he has to play a different system than he has played during his career his has good instincts. In regards to Hightower, you are right it is business and I have zero problem with that aspect, I take issue with the fact that Tomlin and Butler were so enamored with him from predraft stuff that he was a focus on free agency and they brought him in and try the full court press when Hightower was just looking for someone to set his market value so he could show it to the Pats and take something similar. It just stuck with me especially when Dontari Poe was available coming off a solid start to his career playing NT in a 3-4 in KC and took a one year prove it deal in Atlanta for 7 mill. The Steelers are still struggling to find an answer at NT.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's one i wouldn't have re-signed. he gave up catches at a rate of 75.9%. trying to force him in as a slot corner isn't working. they finally moved sutton in there and he played well. he needs to stay in the slot not mualet. :cool:

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    @CK 13

NE sold out to stuff Taylor and he made them pay for it. I was rewatching the highlights and Hightower wasn't terrible but he was just a bit slower and less dominating as he was early in his career

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    leo chanel in the draft, trade bush, keep schobert and we can have 3 out of 4 badgers at linebacker. :hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    That's why I'm ok with Marriotta

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should go after Jordan Hicks he got cut from Arizona, he's younger than Wagner and Hightower.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans keep saying stuff like this, the cap was reduced by 16 million last year, they couldn't keep everybody. They didn't have the money at the start of free agency to keep Feiler, Hilton.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There was slightly more than a $2 million 2022 cap hit difference between Feiler’s contract with the Chargers and Banner’s extension with the Steelers. Given the cost of living difference between LA and Pittsburgh, it’s reasonable to assume that we could have retained Feiler for a little less than what he received from the Chargers. I think it could have been done. Feiler wasn’t a great LG for us in 2020, but he was at least mid-tier as a RT in 2019. I personally think it was a bad personnel move to focus on Chuks and Banner as tackles when we had a proven RT able to be retained with a modest contract. I also think it was a bad personnel move to shift him to G at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they actually made a lot of free agent moves last year. they could have easily kept him. :cool:

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't recall them making many moves at the start of free agency, guys like Feiler and Hilton were already gone by then.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    turner, haeg, banner, ingram, ben adjusting his contract, juju, nelson release, mualet, kilebrew, decastro retirement, schobert, taco, simon, joseph, witherspoon, chaz green, finney, cowherd, pridgeon, ebron, balladge, tuszka, adams plus a few others. no, not all were prior but they moved and could have moved a lot of money around and easily could have kept feilier. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with everything, but the D. Poe. He was never that good. He got stood up straight, and shoved back way to many times. I use 2 laugh at My KC friend,and slow down tape ,and show Him....by the time I was done He was glad they let Him leave. I believe He was 2 tall for the position. Because Oline got under him a whole bunch. I don't know what PFF, or any of those sites say about Him, but When I could take 5 games of My KC fan friends choosing, and point out with frame advance 16 - 20 times a game this was happening....it shouldn't be good.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is my guess