1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

final power rankings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Feb 5, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Interesting. I'm not seeing any objective criteria that the author used to make these rankings. What does power ranking even mean? And what award do you get for being ranked? We finished 3rd out of 4 in the division, out of the playoffs, 23rd ranked offense, and 13 ranked defense. Yet 9th in power rankings? I'm gonna have to call BS on this

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Felt bad for the Texans. Damn guy was still in 49er's gear;)

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    They give the talking heads something to fill the hours with. I don't think they use the real numbers. As soon as I saw it I just assumed the top 14 would be the Playoff teams even though we beat butthole Brady.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    with capital letters, BS. Probably some poaster from this board put that together.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

was nice to beat that butthole. Hope it helped his thoughts towards retirement. We lose to most if not all of the playoff teams. We would have been underdogs to (all of them?) in the playoffs.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with Rich. I think there is a lot to be excited about with this team. Trending up, have players on both sides of the ball, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    At the end of the season the Steelers were playing better than some of those playoff teams.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    After the Eagles, Chiefs, 49ers, Bengals, and Bills, this is a rather mediocre league. I guess that's the beauty of parity. I'm not surprised by the #9 ranking; the same way I wouldn't be surprised if someone ranked us 14.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think we ended this season as a top 10 team, but I can easily see us as a top 10 team next season if we make some good offseason moves and KP makes a solid year 1 to year 2 improvement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    some, maybe 2 or 3, but not many.

TB
    MIA - maybe....cuz QB's had been destroyed...
    Balt - see above (50 / 50 shot if we had played them again...)
    Giants - maybe, but doubtful.
    SEA - maybe.

it doesn't matter, all hearsay.

we are part of the miserable middle of this parity league. Far from the elite club, that is for sure.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Very strange power rankings. Some of them seem geared towards the future, but the KC one ranks them 2nd due to Mahomes ankle injury.

The Chargers are clearly better than us. They had a lot of injuries and one horrific playoff game, but I don't see how they're not ranked higher than we are
    Miami is probably better too, when they have Tua. The issue is that dude can't stay healthy
    Baltimore is better with Jackson. I imagine they'll tag him next year

NE, Seattle and probably 10 other teams are right in the middle with us. If we take that next step, we could easily jump to the top of that tier of good, but not great teams.

As for these rankings, it seems like they were just thrown together with no real rationale for the order.

15. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020

...and yet there's more then enough proof of teams not even making the playoffs the previous season and then being in the SB the next year. We just had two teams do it back to back (Bengals, Buccaneers)...there have been no less than 19 teams to do it since 1981 and the Steelers was one of those teams in 2010. The Eagles missed the playoffs in 2016 and won it in 2017 just to prove that it's not an unusual event thats few and far between. It happens more often then people think. Thats why i don't get it when people say we're far off from being a SB contender. History certainly doesnt dictate that. Despite being less then enamored with the OC and for the most part the starting QB you never know what moves could be made to put this team over the top. That being said it really does start start with the QB. Pickett has to come back next season and have the type of season Jalen Hurts had this season....most improved player type of season. It doesnt hurt to have a great draft also.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was thinking that today, positive vibes for the first time in a while. 18 pts per game average. Is it asking to much to get that to 25...one more td? That at least gets you near the top guys lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would like the Steelers chances against these teams the way those teams ended the season, there are only 4-5 elite teams, the Bengals had a losing record a few years ago :shrug:.

Tampa Bay
    Miami
    Baltimore
    Giants
    Vikings
    Seattle
    Baltimore

• Winner Winner x 1