1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fields Film Breakdown vs Denver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 18, 2024 at 7:56 AM.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I doubt Tomlin will make any changes. Stats don’t blow you away but he is playing good ball.

Still makes head scratching moves like the very first play here, just rip that thing, you have a fantastic arm.

Anyway, he’s doing a lot of things well, keep rolling with him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm trying to figure out what he was talking about at the beginning, stuff about Smith stayed away from the middle of field last week against the Falcons' safeties and came back aggressive against Denver. Game planning? I'll hear none of this crazy talk.

He lands the other reason Fields needs to stay in there when noting Wilson would be running for his life with how the line is playing right now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Tremendous endorsement:

“Justin Fields Is Really NOT A Bad QB.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think the message was he isnt as bad as people make him out to be. He clearly has work to do if he is ever to be among the top QB’s in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Coaching makes a difference.

I will never be a fan of Fields, but I have to acknowledge that Smith is doing a good job of re-educating him. Maybe he blossoms into a very good QB.
    This is a contract year, so I hope they evaluate this thoroughly.
    I don't want to wind up like Washington did for 2 decades, trying to make a living off cast-a-way QB's.

What I am getting at is the projected ceiling of Fields, since it is a contract year, and a decision has to be made.
    At the rate he's playing currently, is 4 more years a good investment?
    If he elevates as the season goes on, then absolutely yes.
    My issue is the barely getting by... I don't see that as a good investment.

I do acknowledge that the measurement is a bit skewed since the #2 WR slot is void.
    A guy like Fields needs that #2 guy for sure.

But here in the now, I also admit that it is best to stick with him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I am not sure we need a great #2 - run the routes with Van Jefferson. Fields is not looking at him right now, but he should be. He should be looking off Pickens, but the OLINE is a sieve - does not give him much protection. Fields is not very accurate. Add in 88 and 80 and we have pass catchers. Add in a slant route to CA3 several times a game and we have more. and a FLY PATTER to him also, a time or 2 a game. There is plenty to work with here. We need first downs, sustained drives and no more holding penalties that are DRIVE KILLERS for this very young offense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not so sure because his limitations are still there, but they at least have to wait until Wilson is healthy.

I agree that the coaches seem to be helping Fields, not just by educating him, but by putting him in positions that best take advantage of his skills. They realize they have to let him attack down the field. They have to let him run. At some point, they have to make more consistent use of the middle of the field. Even with all that, he is still a limited passer who doesn't read defenses quickly enough and lowers his eyes too often.

What is the upside based on what we've seen so far? Maybe he is something similar to Daniel Jones in 2022. The Giants carefully managed Jones, using his legs and sticking to pass plays that kept things simple for him. The result was a quarterback who had been turnover prone throwing only five interceptions, but he also threw only 15 touchdown passes. He supplemented that passing game by being a dangerous runner, gaining over 700 yards on the ground. It was enough to get to the playoffs and win a game, but it wasn't really enough to compete with the big boys. By the way, Fields is on a similar pace in touchdowns and interceptions. Right now, he is on pace for 17 and 0, but I doubt anybody expects him to keep the turnovers that low. He is on pace for 714 yards rushing, very close to what Jones did two years ago.

Like Fields this year, Jones was a free agent after that season. The Giants gave him a four-year, $160 million deal. That contract looks like a disaster so far. Jones regressed the following season, then tore up his knee. He was terrible in the opener this season, a little better, but not good enough to keep the team from falling to 0-2 this past weekend. Sure, the injury is part of the issue, but running quarterbacks are at a greater risk of injury. If Fields retains the starting job, maintains similar production, and the Steelers make the playoffs, he is likely to command even more money than Jones got. Let's hope we don't see a similar result.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Preferably Fields will be more of a Lamar Jackson than a Daniel Jones, at least long term. Only, I hope that Fields will have more success in post season than Jackson has had. Too early to tell with only 2 games in, but I'm rooting for Fields to prove that he's the guy. I'd just hate to see the Steelers go 20+ plus years again before they find the franchise QB that they're looking for

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields is three years into his career. Jackson had already been an All-Pro by the end of his second season. We are all rooting for Fields to be that guy, but the results so far tell us that is unlikely. So far, Fields is more comparable to Jones. He isn't as dynamic a runner as Jackson and hasn't shown much attacking the middle of the field, which is a strength of Jackson's.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Being in a good situation matter for a QB too....Just ask to Baker Mayfield

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree on what he meant but it came out like one of the compliments I make to my wife that somehow goes sideways

Wife: Do these pants make me look fat

Me: It’s not the pants

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    And somehow you're still alive after that comment? How many days in the ICU?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    That's what I used to get a lot - tall, dark and......well 2 out of 3 isn't bad. :drinks:

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I like but I disagree on a point.

#2 WR. You're right, 'great is not needed' but a step above what I have seen would certainly go a long way.
    I alluded to this the other day - We have a running game, we have a solid TE and a very good WR...

Aiyuk was probably more than we needed but the handling of that was botched.... Omar should have come out with a WR.
    I don't give him an 'F' but a 'C' for that need seems reasonable.

A guy like Fields, in my opinion, you have to wipe the slate clean.. He's a rookie with some playing experience.
    He has to be re-educated, which seems to be taking place.
    So the Front Office should provide as many weapons as possible.
    Maybe one of the backups steps it up? I'd like to see this Roman kid some more.
    If one or two does, I'd be happy.

Those penalties suck.
    Shame on Broderick Jones. He has to get his head out of his arse. He's a much better player than that.
    And then there is the bad flags... those are just something that will happen.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 1:37 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Chase Daniel will not bad talk a Qb. He's like Ben . It's why I stop watching His film breakdowns. There are a few others that don't care who the Qb is, and what team He plays on....that break down film like it should be....with no fear, or bias. Chase Daniel is on a fox sports show , and is basically a yes man to whatever the others on that show say.....so I'm guessing he just doesn't want to lose his Job. I get it, but it makes for very lame actual honest thoughts.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You can ask Kenny Pickett, too, at least about the negative.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Baker Mayfield took a Browns team to the playoffs.....let's not act like Baker Mayfield just did this in Tampa Bay. Although I do not think Baker Mayfield is a great QB....He has progressed slowly, and with all the terrible Qb play We are seeing.....He even looks better compared to it. But Hey you guys are right Qb play is changing.....LoL. The thing is .....not for the better. Look at some of the Qb play around the league. Now compare it to when, and not long ago.....Brady, Brees, Ben, both Mannings, Rivers, and Rodgers....just to name a few were all playing at the same time. LoL ....It's not even close, but Hey......they can all run very fast now. LoL. Ah the new NFL

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed on almost all points, though I think giving Khan a C is generous. He left a gaping hole in the team and did not fill it. I would give him a D only because the return on Johnson looks so good so far.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    In 2018 when he had Hue Jackson as head coach,he was trash...He was better after that when Jackson was fired in mid season.Much better.Poor head coach in 2019,he was trash again....Very good head coach in 2020,he was very good.In 2021,same situation but he was injured and he was terrible because of that.2022 with the panthers,just awful in a awful situation.He was better at the end of the season with Sean McVay despite almost no practice with them.He is now better and better since he is with the bucs

Btw,I never said that the QB situation in the NFL right now are better that the one of 10-15 years ago....

• Like Like x 1
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There is a side of me that agrees.
    I could be harsher because of the game he played with Aiyuk and then the juggling of basically practice squad players... I only nudged up to C because his pick is unknown. Roman supposedly was looking pretty good.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So after typing all that....what I said was true. This is not the 1st time we've seen Baker Mayfield play decent at the Qb position, and that He had taken another team to the playoffs.
    So what I said was true. Thank You :thumbs_up:

23. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I think everyone is itching to see what Roman Wilson can do. It would be great if he can at least fill the void of DJ being gone

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    It was just to mention that for many QBs,being in a good situation vs poor one matter big time and Baker is the perfect exemple of that.I mean he was not good in 2019 and 2022 when he was in a poor situation....What about Geno Smith?!

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

hard to ask Kenny Pickett - he might just suck - period. he may never have success in the NFL......

• Agree Agree x 1