1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Field turf vs grass

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Coastal Steeler, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I think with the new field turf that the Steelers would have an advantage on it. Our grass field gets bad around this time every year. I think it was just resodded but not sure. Who thinks field turf would be better? I do

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Reminds me of the time they asked Tug McGraw if he preferred grass or artificial turf. He said "I don't know I never smoked artificial turf."

3. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    LMAO!
    I understand the Rooney`s belief that there are less injuries on natural grass, and I understand them letting the high school teams have their playoffs in the stadium we already share with the college team.
    I do think it`s a damn shame that our field is consistently, and rightly, ranked as one of the worst in the league, though.
    Almost like they care about the field as much as their "official message board". (Sorry, I couldn`t resist.)
    What I don`t understand, is that since they have been changing to more of a speed based/finesse type offense, wouldn`t they want to give that type of offense an advantage, by playing on a decent field?
    I could understand it, when we ran everyone over with "The Bus", a sloppy field played more to our strengths, but now?
    Just doesn`t make sense to me.

4. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Bleedsteel The reason I ask that was the new team speed

5. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    the crappy field works against other speedy teams too .. it makes our DB's look better

6. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    JUST A COUPLE OF TIDBITS I GOT FROM A GOOGLE SEARCH:
    The stadium's natural grass surface has been criticized throughout its history, but Steelers ownership has kept the grass after lobbying from players and coaches.
    Attendance for the 65,050 seat stadium has sold out for every Steelers home game, a streak which dates back to 1972.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Field

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They should all be grass.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The field was just resodded this week, the players prefer to
    play on grass? Field turf should be required in northern climates.
    People pay good money to see athletic stars perform, if the field is
    bad which in some cases Heinz can be bad, we don't get to see these stars
    make the kind of plays they are capable of making? I have been hollering for
    field turf for years.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's nonsense, everyone enjoys seeing a punted ball stick straight up in the turf. I recall there were a few training camp injuries this year due to playing on the turf field at St Vincents because of all the rain. Byron Batch, I think.

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i think when we were a running team this crappy field put us at a big advantage.....now that we are a passing team not so much

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Go stand on artificial turf for about 1/2 hour and tell me how your knees feel. Grass, even bad grass, is so much better.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the grass help our slow offensive line slowing down the enemy pass rush

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I like grass over turf personally. I used to think grass gave our team an advantage, but all in all I think it's probably pretty even now.

14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know its not the same competion but played on field turf in high school twice a year and hated it. it just feels wierd. its like playing on ground up tires. i would much rather play on grass as most players would i am sure

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    What's wrong with the kind of football that takes place on muddy fields, Rodge? Do you need 800 yards passing and 90 points scored for it to be a good game?

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Last time I was at St Vincents all the fields were natural grass?

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    No I just prefer being able to see players with tremendous God given ability
    apply their trade. The superior player wins out every time. really quite simple.

18. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    remember when we played Miami that one year and the field was terrible? Couldnt run worth a **** and that one punt stuck end first right in the mud.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    grass is definitely better than the old stuff....

I saw the Browns at Bengals the other week....every player that hit the ground hard got hurt or severely skinned.

20. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I would think that bad footing would benefit offense, passing or rushing. The offensive players already know where they are going, much harder to react on defense with bad footing. Especially DBs

21. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Players can't show their ability on grass?

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    No no, you misunderstand. Players can't show their ability on grass if it's sprinkling out. Also, only players like wide receivers and quarterbacks count. That phony baloney kind of football with blocking and linemen and running backs doesn't count as competition, and linemen don't have a trade. Also, all variety is a bad thing.

This is the kind of thinking that Goodell uses to rationalize what he's doing to the game.

23. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would love for the Steelers to have Field Turf installed at Heinz Field.I like Grass,But I think Field Turf would utilize Our team speed and it would be alot better than natural grass in the winter months. :herewego!:

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Was there this year. With all the rain, they limited practice to just the one turf field next to the merchandise trailers,instead of 3 grass fields next to it. Was an afternoon practice, rained all morning.

25. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    no brainer
    GRASS all the way way