1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fichtner Pegged as New OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mgsmooth, Jan 15, 2018.

1. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    ... but not the piss-poor play-calling?

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Haley was gone pretty soon.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, Haley's the freaking scapegoat because poor little old passive-aggressive Benjamin doesn't like to be spoken to in a loud tone of voice. He prefers somebody like BA whose going to coddle him as he draws up his plays in the sand. His pal, Randy Fichtner, ought to do the trick. I'm sure he doesn't have the gonads to stand up to Ben. Look, if the Steelers fire Haley then so be it. But there's is absolutely nothing wrong with a coach and quarterback having a contentious relationship. It worked with Noll and Bradshaw, Parcells and Simms. Shoot, we've seen Tom Brady and a couple of his OCs in very heated conversations on the sidelines. What I don't want to go back to is this chummy OC-QB relationship that Ben and BA had that contributed to a very undisciplined form of offensive football that dang near shortened Ben's career.

Go ahead, fire Haley. But Lake and Porter (and maybe Butler) need to be close behind!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nana naa naa nana naa naa hey hey hey good bye :lolol:

I don't known why you crave a bad relationship between the OC and QB so much, for the most part, it's counter productive.

But anyway, lets simplify this. If it's a matter of Ben staying for 3 more years or Haley leaving as OC, I'm driving Todd to the airport. I know which is more important to the success of this team.

As for extending Bens career, he's at the end of the road, doesn't matter, not like Haley could squeeze 7 more years out of Ben now.

Answer this though, do you think the offense runs better when Ben is calling plays out of the no huddle or when Haley is calling plays? That's what I suspect you'd get with Fichtner so yes, I prefer a buddy to Ben at this point then someone to put their foot on his neck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That's fine. Fire Haley. But there better be some shakeups on that pathetic defensive coaching staff as well and it needs to start with Lake and Porter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, at a minimum Lake and Porter need to go but the problem is Porter and Tomlin are best buddy's. I think Butler and Tomlin should go also but that's not going to happen until Ben retires.

They should just drain the swamp now and not wait until Ben retires.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We're already in agreement with this one but should have snatched up Green when he expressed interest after the Joey incident at the bar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Green's not Tomlin's pal, so...

9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This, IMHO, is part of fans' frustration at the moment. A team with a lot of talent, but not necessarily put in proper position with enough regularity to win, or win convincingly against inferior opponents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Is that the 2nd down play that Hubbard went in motion, and Ben threw a bubble screen to JuJu?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  11. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Shoulda happened. Unless there is something we don’t know. Like when there was a certain head coach possibly having relations with a QB/WR/RB’s sister-kinda thing. Emphasis on the slash. Lol.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not have a QB sneak in the play book is a terrible idea.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes. I drank a lot at the game yesterday, but I wasn't that many beers deep to know that Hubbard as a flanker was a bad idea.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Now there are reports that DeCastro said the 4th and 1 play calls came from the sideline, meaning Haley

Now Ben says he's ready to play 3 more...

Sounds like the players know a change is coming.

15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I dont care how stupid Haley is, he isnt the head coach. I do NOT care. The HEAD coach makes the final decision, whether he chooses to speak or not speak. That is still a decision he is hired to make.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You should probably read the article before ranting.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Wasn’t Ben getting sacked around 45-50 times a year under BA, now he’s in the low 20’s.... wouldn’t that be enough reason to say he’s enjoying playing.... especially since he’s got quite a few weapons at his disposal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Why Munch? He was the Titans HC and it didn't go well.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I really don’t understand why Haley gets all the blame on the unsuccessful plays... but Ben gets the credit when the plays work. You can’t tell me that those 4th down pass plays were called by a specific person.... heck, if AB and LB don’t make amazing catches.... then those plays would have been Haley’s fault too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    That and an ownership that won't do what is necessary.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought it was pretty telling when we learned Haley wasnt extended.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    No to Dom Capers. It would be more of the same and the Packers got rid of him for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Haley makes some bad calls but it's Butler's awful D that's the main problem. He definitely needs to go.

24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Heard on the radio it was 2002......

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is why I feel Haley has been a good thing. When BA was here Ben was throwing deep and trying to make a play which is great until you keep getting hit. The hits add up and at the end of his career will be a problem, Haley came in and really helped that. I am by no means saying Haley is a great play caller but we could do a lot worse. What I do know is this team is nothing without Ben and Haley is a big reason Ben is still playing. Haley has saved Ben's health, if we all think Ben is hurtin now could you think how bad he would of been if BA was still here letting him keep getting hit?

Another thing we have no clue what plays are being called by who. Look at the 2nd 4th and inches Ben clearly changed it at the line. I am not saying it is Ben's fault or Haley is great as a matter of fact I am on board with letting Haley go. The conflict between him and Ben is on Tomlin, he needed to step in and say hey we have something good here make it work.....bottom line.

What I don't want to see is a "buddy" RF get the job and Ben run all over him. I also agree with the few that have said if it comes down to Haley or Ben.....yeah I as well am on the Ben bandwagon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1