1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fichtner Pegged as New OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mgsmooth, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This. He also doesn’t make major changes, as he knows what success they have.

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You can't take an average skills QB and make him Joe Montana. Coaching only goes so far. Talent has to take you the rest of the way, and Landry doesn't have talent to make him an everyday stater in the NFL. He's a career back up and that is what he is and will be. I don't think that's Finchtner's fault.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think it will be more telling to see what he can do with Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Really? Then explain how mediocre QBs always look like Joe Montana against our defense. (wish I was just joking - sigh)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Because we never fix the problem... Kizer had his 2 best games this year against Pitt.. Bortles too.
    That's why Tomlin and Butler need to go they are the defensive minds on this team. Porter and Lake need to walk also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    NOT accurate. When they were going with Haley calls, the O was pathetic. Haley is God awful. Just the worst. The O only starts going when Ben goes no huddle. When Haley calls plays (like on those 2 fourth down plays) they are just terrible. You got probowlers inside facing a D that is super fast and you run wide? Moronic. You got a 6-5, 250 lb QB who is 18-19 on 4th and short on sneaks and you run a low % crossing route? F-ing pathetic. That is what Haley brings you.

• Like Like x 3
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This right here, I think this guy would be a great fit.

8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    So I was up in the stands, I didn't realize you were in the huddle.... so you're saying those two long 4th down TD's were called by Haley or Ben? I'm sooooo confused by your logic.

9. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    They scored 42 points although a lot of that was the result of Ben improvising and throwing it up and some very talented receivers making plays. It didn't have much to do with Haley's play calling per se

Here is the thing. If they convert either of those 3rd and inches or 4th and inches situations there is a very good chance they win that game. If they come out and get points on the first drive or two that could have changed what Jacksonville was doing on offense.

But they never do that. They come out with the same predictable first series that almost never goes anywhere, they piss around for a half or three quarters doing nothing, and then Ben and AB and Bell have to step in and try to save the day at the end. That was a recurring theme all year. And their success rate on third and makeable is terrible for the kind of talent they have. There is no reason why a QB sneak should be deleted from a game plan when you have a QB who is 6-5 and 260.

There is no plan to what Haley does. He is like an author with a big vocabulary who can't weave together a narrative. There is no rhyme nor reason to what he does. The kind of talent on that offense -- it is criminal how inconsistent they have been.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The fact that Ben has said he’s coming back tells me Haley won’t be resigned.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    As long as Fichtner doesn't run sweeps or throw deep on 4th and inches it's an upgrade.

If this is who Ben wants, give him the job.

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This of course wouldn't fall on Randy F but Butler.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I didn't think Fichtner was very good as a QB coach. Forget about the glacier slow progress of Landry. Let's talk about Ben. Ben seems to have a good relationship with RF so that's good, since Haley and Ben are both too immature to work together as professionals. But that relationship with RF can be bad too imo. Seems to me, Ben may have a tendency to walk over that coach-player boundary to do things his way.

There are things we hardly see Ben improve on. Throw aways when under pressure are hardly ever an option in Ben's mind. Served him well in the past, but things need to change when you age. His weight loss before last season seems to indicate he knows he lost mobility. QB coach should be putting that option in his head more.

The checkdowns at the LOS are always the same 1 or 2 plays it seems. If these are Ben's calls, someone needs to tell him to add some variety just to keep the defense guessing and try to get some better conversion chances. If RF is OK with this rigidity in the checkdowns then I question his ability as an OC and/or QB coach.

When did Ben really start to improve? When he stayed healthy more with Haley's change in philosophy vs Arians. Less sacks, more quick passing, etc. But I still see some of the same fundamental mistakes from when Arians was here that a good QB coach should be able to improve.

I'm not throwing the Ben under the bus at all. I think he's a very good QB and had a great season. I just haven't seen him improve greatly over the course of his career other than the change in offensive philosophy when Haley took over from Arians. And I'm not defending Haley, he needs to be shown the door.

Can RF be a good OC, I don't know. If that eventually happens, I think we see a lot of the same Ben and his decision making. Players have to execute that's true, but coaches have to prepare the players with options so the player can make better decisions. For the most part, Ben is on par, but his mental game has always been the weakest link and I still think that's true.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    When was the last time Roethlisberger ran a quarterback sneak? I don't know why they don't use it and I'm quite sure you don't, either, but they haven't tried one in years. I don't even know how much they practice it. Trying something that doesn't even seem to be in the playbook is a terrible idea.

The pitch on the first fourth-and-short was a terrible play call. You don't give the defense time to pursue and blow a play up in that situation. You slam it up inside behind your Pro Bowl guard and your Pro Bowl center and get the damn foot.

The play-action pass, however, I have no problem with because it would have worked if the officials actually did their jobs on the play. The defender had his hands on Smith-Schuster the entire route. When Smith-Schuster made his cut, the defender grabbed his jersey. There is supposed to be an official watching each receiver. There is no excuse for missing that call. If he doesn't hold there, Smith-Shuster is a step further and that ball is in his chest, not his fingertips, and the defender isn't close enough to make the play. If the official does his job, it's a five-yard defensive holding call and a first down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If this team keeps the defensive staff intact then they truly don't care about winning a championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Munch at HC is my dream scenario. I’m not sure how he would be as a play caller, so I would agree and say no as an OC. This team needs consistent focus and self discipline for the players and the coaches. Right now it has neither.

17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think I'd shoot for 2018 Jam, unless you're thinking Marsha plays another year so why bother - OK 2019 or BUST! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That is the best analogy I have heard describing this team. Nicely done.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm perfectly fine with Haley, I don't care if Ben doesn't like him. The offense is fine.

I would love for them to be tougher at the LOS, and be able to Power Run on 4th and 1. But it what it is with the personnel we have.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The offense performed in spite of Haley not because of him. He needs to go. Time for new blood anyway.

Butler needs gone now. Failure to motivate. Which is the worst indictment on a coach. Defense is not talented but it’s NFL caliber and any NFL caliber defense should never give up 45 points to that offense. Really he shouldn’t have been allowed to clean out his locker after the game. “We’ll mail it all to ya Keith. Come with me please.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Fichtner as OC would allow Ben to be the OC. He wants to be the OC and QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    At a minimum he should go taking Porter and Lake with him. At a Minimum!

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches/randy-fichtner/c64ecfa5-8eb5-479f-b7d7-d0564ba28dec

did well at memphis with average qb's at best.

no OC is going to change ben at this point.

i think he's done pretty well with LJ. this isn't his every day job to make the backup the new franchise qb. his job is to get the franchise qb ready for the next game.

he had one heck of a run game at memphis. he brought a small school to national prominence during his time there.

i think randy would do a fine job as OC.

i'd hire dom capers for his second stint here. he's won a couple of SB's.

we need a more seasoned DB and LB coach. :cool:

24. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

Haley didnt put up those 42 pts Ben and the offense did. I have bitched for 3 yrs about FGs in the red zone. Get to the playoffs with the best offense we have had in 5+ yrs and that moron Haley goes for it instead of kicking the 3 pts. Those 2 FGs send us to NE.

WHAT moron called the onside kick? :facepalm:

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139

Ed Bouchette is reporting there is a good chance that Todd Haley will not be back as offensive coordinator and this lousy relationship with Roethlisberger is the reason for the change.

In the same story, he has Roethlisberger talking about wanting to play three more years.

I don't like players forcing out coaches, but if it really is a choice between Roethlisberger or Haley, it's time for Haley to go.

• Agree Agree x 1