1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fichtner and Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nitrous12, Oct 6, 2019.

1. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fichtner is lost. 18 passes to 6 runs in the 1st half. 4 runs by Conner for a 5.8 average. Never trailing enough to justify it and losing TOP...with a QB making his 3rd start. And almost all day, including when Hodges was in, from shotgun.

OT in a must win game at home and the reason we win the toss but give the ball to the Ravens first is because Tomlin had seen enough of the kick return failures. No one realized this was an issue before today? Like maybe over the last 5 or 6 years of complete trash this didn't show itself in game review tape to justify a change in Special Teams coordinator?
    At what point is not a lack talent and something else like scheme and coaching? Are the other 31 teams building rosters with selected Special Teams players.
    I used to really like Tomlin. I'm not a hater, but his crew of coordinators are junk and the reality is that is on him and for more than just one of them to change as a scapegoat Tomlin will need to go and all new staff needs to come in and do something with a roster I do believe has talent.
    For crying out loud, I miss Haley.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlin has only survived because of talent he has had around him Coaches and players now that the cupbared is bare we see what kind of coach he is...or yall see. I seen it from the day he was hired..lol

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    While Im not going to argue with most of what you are saying, I found it refreshing that they put some trust in Mason to win the game. We are going no where unless we have a QB that can win a game with his arm. This is a different NFL . Everyone is putting up passing yards.

That and the Ravens defense is near the worst in the nfl. An early lead would have allowed us to easily put these guys away . This is not a good ravens team. Our laughable play calling to start the game killed us from the start.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I am one of the few" I think " That liked Haley as an OC...Granted we had many more weapons, But he kept Ben healthy, and had a more balanced attack...But Ben didn't like him, and more or less ran him outta here...Do there's that... Fichtner couldn't carry Tequila Todds jock

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    You’re not the only one, I liked Haley as well. At least he knew how to coach

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We could use Haley right now.

And we certainly need a new DC. Do you know what defensive coaches out there would be able to do with 10 former 1st round picks?

Unfortunately Tomlin won't fire any of his old buds. They are in the foxhole together .

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I feel like if he did he'd still be in the league.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    At this point in his career Cowher went through at least 4 ST coaches. Maybe a little much but I consider it necessary to keep your team from becoming stale. Idk if it's Tomlin or AR2 but regular pruning needs to happen.

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Team needs a coaching enema. I keep hoping I see something, anything, that demonstrates that something is improving during the games. It hasn't. can't, or it won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    If I'm an offensive coordinator and I have a QB that's more or less a pocket passer, I'd be trying to copy the Pats offense as best I could. Brady or not it's pretty damn efficient it seems. Granted you need players too but they seem to get by with less.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Send Danny Smith packing too.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I do pine for Bobby April - best special team coach Steelers may have ever had and only lasted what, one season?

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There will be changes coming at the end of the season, Someone
    will have to take the fall. It could be multiple coaches. Possibly even
    the Head coach which I doubt.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Butter and Smith will be canned just about 4 years too late. Why? Because The standard is the standard

15. cral22

cral22 Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    i gave him the benefit of the doubt when he came in (obviously they won the super bowl in 08 and then went to one in 10), but once the dick lebeau defense was out and he started to implement his ****ty defense, is when I started to lose faith... i think he should have been let go after the 15 season, and im still waiting..

16. cral22

cral22 Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    i
    i wasn't a fan of going 5 wide on 1st and goal from the 1.

17. cral22

cral22 Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    we need a change of culture, tomlin and the whole lot of them need to go...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cral22

cral22 Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    there offense is unstoppable for an entire game...

19. cral22

cral22 Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    i can only dream... its time to start over with new coaching staff and if ben doesn't like it, he can retire...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Here is the complete list of coaches/coordinators, on all three phases, I'd like to keep for 2020:

1. Teryl Austin

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    At this point I am not looking forward to 2020. We've gone from one of the most prolific offensive teams to a D2 college level scraped together group. Defense has mostly 1st round picks on it and are barely average after how many years rebuilding it? This can't be fixed between now and next year I don't believe. Were probably not going make the playoffs this year and I don't believe the organization will make the necessary changes that is required. It hasn't for several years now.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    He knew how to coach but he is also a cancer.

23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm not at all sure how much authority Tomlin has with respect to his staff.

Throughout his tenure here ownership seems to have had too heavy of a hand. He was essentially told that keeping LeBeau as a condition of his hire, he didn't want to fire Arians but was basically told to, and it's not clear at all if Haley was his choice as OC.

After the disaster of 1999 Cowher basically demanded more control and authority and Dan Rooney gave it to him and Donohoe was gone. After the SB title the Rooneys weren't going to pay him what he thought he was worth and he stepped away a year later. Hiring Tomlin allowed the Rooney's to re-establish the power structure they desired, ownership-GM-HC in that order. That's not a bad thing except that Art II doesn't seem to be as good at it as Dan was.

IMO, it goes beyond Tomlin having to fire Fichtner or whoever, he's going to have to try and pull a power play like Cowher did in 1999 and seek full authority to get who he wants, when he wants in here, both in terms of assistants and players.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Austin hasnt been anything special as a DC his defense with the lions as DC wasnt good enough for him to keep his job and his stint as the bengals DC in 2018 didnt last long, he was fired after his defense set an NFL record by giving up 500 plus yards in 3 back to back games, if they want to hire a new DC at least get one with a proven record..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    We started the game with our backup QB getting his 3rd ever start and then played the majority of it with our 3rd string rookie free agent QB. We had a chance to win in OT if our best WR hadn't fumbled. Not sure why people are focusing on the play calling or the coaching. They were both fine and had us in position to win despite serious adversity. If the coaching were anywhere near as bad as people on here seem to think the team would have folded when Mason went down. Instead they fought like hell.