1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Few Questions about trip to Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Coming up for the Eagles game on Friday the 5th. I asked some questions a few months ago and received some great responses, but just wanted to see if anyone could help a bit more.
    #1 -Is Bettis Restaurant as crowded on Friday as I've seen it on Saturday?
    #2 - If Bettis' place doesn't work out any suggestions on another good local place with good Pittsburgh atmosphere. (going to Quaker Steak Saturday)
    #3 - What time do the shops usually open Saturday Morning in the Strip District?
    #4 - Is there a true Flea market in the Pittsburgh area?
    #5 - What kind of time is required to do the Inclines?

Thanks in advance,
    Glenn

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Primanti Brothers is a must!

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Been awhile but there used to be a Flea Maket in Penn Hills right up off Frankstown and Robinson.....It's been 20 years though.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks Jack. Doing Primanti Bros. For Lunch on Saturday.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While I live about 35-40 minutes from Pittsburgh I go there enough I might be able to help some...

#1 I've heard thats its not as bad as Saturdays...especially if you make it in at 5-6pm or so when people are still heading home...not out eating yet. No guarantees this is 100% accurate all the time/etc...but just what I've been told by others.

#2 Primanti bothers has already been mentioned. And to be honest Quaker Steak really isnt all that (some will probably disagree with me)...I've been many times to different locations in OH and PA and they never impressed me a lot (while it isnt terrible or anything)...and they were quite expensive compared to most places who serve the same food/etc.

#3 Cant help you here

#4 Not that I personally am aware of

#5 It really doesnt take too long to go up and down...its been a while since I took a ride on them...maybe 5 minutes each way? Maybe a couple minutes more (I dont see it being any more than 10 though). And then whatever time you spend up on Mt Washington taking pictures/etc with the city in the background.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    When we were there, we went to Ditka's and enjoyed it. I didn't like the Primanti's sandwich (don't like coleslaw much) but my wife did. We were up and down on the incline in less than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the observation deck was closed when we were there.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Thats what i figured about the incline! And yeah...thats definitely the thing to get at Primanti's...their sandwiches with the fries and coleslaw on them. They are huge too. I havent had much of their other food...though once i did try a slice of pizza which was quite good.

8. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    speaking of Pizza... Check out Fiori's Pizza on West Liberty and Capital ave in Brookline...always my favorite growing up...since I lived right up the hill...

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks for the responses so far. Can't wait till next weekend!

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    There's a fish place in the strip district that isn't bad. It's a store really that was smaller at one point. They have a eatery upstairs. My uncle used to go to that fish market when he was a kid 50's-60's.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    As suggested, do Primantti Brothers, Quaker Steak and Lube is okay, when it was it's orginal place back in the 80's and 90's in Sharon, PA. Once they became a chain, they went down hill as far as quality of product, you'll get better sauces and bigger wings at a hole in the wall bar as far as I'm concerned, their wings are okay but nothing to ride home about.

I would also try to go the the church brew works, it's an old church that the converted into a resturant and brewery. I have always heard excellent things. Check out the link below.

I would say most of the shops in the strip are open by 9AM on game day a little sonner maybe 8AM.

http://www.churchbrew.com/main.htm

12. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    There are 2 inclines. One from Market Square and the other is down the road a bit which is the Fort Pitt Incline. Park across the street. You really have to look for it. Leave Station square and travel south. It's about a 1/4 mile before the incline turn right. It doesn't look like it takes you there but it does. The Fort Pitt one will give you better views.
    The Strip District is essentially a Flea Market. No need to go search for one.
    Never been to Bettis' - Hear it's expensive.
    Primanti's will be PACKED no matter what time you go. Expect long waits. We usually skip it due to the wait. DON'T GET PRIMANTI'S IN THE STADIUM! It is NOT the same and you probably will wonder what all the fuss is about.
    I want to hear you at that stadium so yell loud. I live 250 miles away.

13. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Been there two times. Definitely get to the Strip District. We try and get down there between 8 and 9. I would guess shops open usually by 8. If you are looking for a good lunch I really like Peppi's in the Strip District. They are the home of the Roethlisberger. Not sure if they are still around.

Bettis' - We go early usually there before 6. You might have to wait a bit but not bad. If you go out later than 7 expect quite a wait. Food is really good and all the memorabilia is cool to look at. I didn't think it was terribly expensive but it was not cheap either. My opinion worth the price.

Inclines usually don't take a ton of time. Occasionally they have autograph signings in the Steeler store at Station Square. That store has everything you can imagine Steeler. I think I am going to need a U-Haul to bring all the stuff back to Iowa when we are out there in October.

Also depending on when you get there Friday, Heinz offers stadium tours. You might want to check into that.

And yes as 4EvrH8O'donnel said I want to hear you yell. And I live in Iowa. It is an awesome experience. :towel:

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks guys this has been very helpful. Still looking for that unique place for dinner that would have wings, burgers and bar and grill type food that has that atmosphere that just screams Pittsburgh!

15. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This. Although, maybe I'm just lucky, but I never had to wait if I went to the one out in Oakland (I prefer that one anyway). Of course, 3-4 trips isn't a large enough sample size to draw conclusions. ;)

16. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This. Although, maybe I'm just lucky, but I never had to wait if I went to the one out in Oakland (I prefer that one anyway). Of course, 3-4 trips isn't a large enough sample size to draw conclusions. ;)[/quote:38or7kea]

Yeah it just depends on which one you're going to and when. I've never got a chance to go to the one in the Strip. I've been to one in Cranberry...and the one just outside of town in Moon...and a couple others (I forget where) and I never really had much of a wait.

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  18. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Bottleshop cafe. Not far from Trader Jacks...about 5 minutes. You could hit it after the flea market. Its near probably the most exclusive, high end neighborhoods in the South Hills...Nevillewood. As you can see in the picture gallery, they get their fair amount of Steelers and celebrities that stop in.

http://www.bottleshopcafe.com/

The bartenders a pretty hot btw...and NO they're not dudes.

19. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    A friend of mine owns a pizza shop in the South Hills (wash co to be exact) and when he shuts down his shop for the evening, he makes the trip to Fiori's for pizza.

Thats saying something...

20. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    Bridgeville Exit - Next Exit past Heidleberg. Turn Right off the Highway Exit. go to the light- Make left - Two Blocks up is the Burg Restaurant. Everything in Bridgeville screams PITTSBURGH.

http://www.bpwp.net/burghs/htdocs/index.php

21. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    :thumbs_up:

Yes. Burghs is a great place for wings. Also Sauce on the left at the next light just past Burghs has some kick ass out of this world sandwiches and burgers.

http://www.saucepgh.com/

22. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Check out Rolands in the strip for a lobster roll and a bucket of mussels, and if you have time (and the interest), the Warhol museum is a good catch. Skip the Lube. They've gone nowhere but downhill since they went national (though I'll give them credit for hosting our local bike night in the summer).

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wow! Thanks for all the idea's. Burgh's Pizza and Wings sounds like my kind of place. Looks like we'll be there Saturday instead of going to Quaker Steak. Def. Heading to Bettis' Friday. Been there a couple times before and like the place. Strip district Sat morning, Primanti's in the Strip for lunch. Station Square and Home towne sports the Mt. Washington and incline Sat afternoon. Burgs Sat night. Tailgate and game Sunday. Awesome!

24. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    Burgh's is > Quaker Steak and Lube. I dig QSL but there really isn't anything I wouldn't recommend on the Burgh menu. Bring your appetite as they give quantity as well as quality.

If you have a couple beers with your meal then make sure it's just a couple only. The PoPo in Pittsburgh is largely present and the town is not the easiest to get around. It's very easy to get lost.. Stay on 79 and the Parkway West that goes from the Airport to the City and you should be alright.

Have fun!

GO STEELERS!

I want to hear Yinz over here in Indiana!

25. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    If you go over to ...station square, think thats the name, there are several shops in the mall. We were there in June and went over into the middle of the city. It wasnt a flea market but there were a bunch of small stores that had everything you could think of. Check out albertsgifts, its an outlet store and the owner was super nice. She talked to the wife and me like we were old friends. http://www.albertsgifts.com/pages/contactus.aspx has directs in that link.

I suggest parking over at station square and riding the Clipper over.

I hope we can go up in Dec but dont know yet.