1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought that was a drug counselor but you're right, I checked IMD and the woman they have listed as the counselor looks nothing like that so I guess it was Gloria. She looked different to me.

2. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay, we're now into season three. I gave up after season one. Did it get any better in season two? Is it worth my time to catch up on what I missed?

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes and no. A few better characters were added (Strand FTW). Once they got to Mexico, things took on a creepy cultish aspect which is a different air than TWD has... for now. ;) We're still waiting for this aspect to pay off though.

But the things that made it hard to watch are also still there: Travis still sucks and is a waste of time. His douche nozzle son is now a psychopathic douche nozzle, but not in any entertaining way. Maddison can be great, but they never give her anything to do. Ditto for Alicia who at least SEEMS to have some character growth happening, if glacially slow since her only job on the show is mostly to be pretty. I suppose you can say the same thing about Daniel's 35 year old "teenaged" daughter. And Nick is still Nick... and still alive. Just kill him already.

Don't get me wrong about Nick. The actor who plays him performs well enough and seems like a very charming guy. But the character is horribly written so far and I'm betting the only reason he's so popular is because the girls swoon over his Johnny Depp wannabe schtick. If there's any saving grace to Nick - and it might be what eventually makes his character bearable if not great - it's that he's pretty much willing to do... anything.

I have a crackpot theory about the entire show's purpose. It won't happen, but it would be awesome if it did. To tease my theory, I'll say that this show is connected to the main show far greater than anyone imagines and actually serves as a prequel to TWD's endgame. Spoilers for the rest:

Negan as an individual might be the most dangerous person in the TWD comics. But the group "The Whisperers" are even worse. They're led by a woman who calls herself "Alpha." They're very cultish. Use any means necessary - including using her own daughter as a seductress - to infiltrate and defeat their opponents. They have an odd reverence for the walkers. And they wear walker skins to blend into herds and travel with them. We're already seeing Nick doing this, albeit just by spreading blood onto himself. The group he just met do the same thing with blood (if not as sloppily and gross). And some of the same cultish aspects are cropping up. We know Kim dickens (Maddison) was told from the very beginning that her character specifically was tied to the main show. And she's not allowed to say how. People speculate that she's Rick's sister. I've said she's probably a Dixon. But what if she's.... ALPHA?!

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ray, I hope you are watching The Talking Dead.

Mercedes Mason :eek:

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. But I'm still an Alycia guy. :thumbs_up:

4 weeks left to tie everything together.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, theres going to be a family reunion, thats pretty certain but will they all make it to next season?

And of course the camp is going to be taken out by the bad guys and Maddisons group will probably lose the hotel.

Don't know what is going to happen with Chris and Travis. Chris' character is completely unlikable, even less so now then in the first episode. The story line is still a little sketchy in this show, it hasnt been all that long since the zombie apocalypse started for Chris to go from protesting for justice into psychotic killer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Turning out to be a great night.

First, we blow out the chiefs, and now this...

Just have one thing to say for now: GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: Wonder what he thinks of his "friends" now???

And I know you saw Talking Dead afterwards ;)

Humana humana humana

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Dude!

And thankfully, they didn't use clown makeup on her this time.

(That little mid-show promo with her flicking the butterfly knife intimidating Chris Hardwick was funny... not that I'd be scared. I'd have other thoughts going through my mind...)

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: I forgot that, must have read your post.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, that was unexpected. I don't like those cheap shock gadget scenes though. The writing of this show still leaves a lot to be desired.

The biggest draw for me still (other than Alycia) is Kims past. Definitely want to uncover that.

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, I knew it was coming (first 3 episodes had been leaked already). But I kind of like the way they did it. No build up. No fanfare. Not really any foreshadowing. Just BAM: gone. And so early in an episode.

Loved seeing Charlie Utter and Joanie Stubbs reunited.

Psycho son has to die soon, right? Didn't we have enough of this with Chris?

Major spoiler for next week. MAJOR. You have been warned:
    I told anyone who'd listen for 2 years now that Daniel Salazar isn't dead. They laughed. They mocked. Time to eat crow!!! :D

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't look at your spoiler so I was waiting for another shocking death, damn you :lolol:

I never saw the episode Daniel died but Im guessing they didn't actually show his death? That always leaves me suspicious.

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, the biggest key to me was that after the episode where Daniel is assumed to have died in the fire, they didn't give him an "In Memoriam" on The Talking Dead. ;)

And Ruben Blades is just too good of a character actor to let go so soon. No idea why they gave him a year off. Maybe he needed the time for personal reasons, or to do another project? :shrug: After all, Lenny James should have been part of TWD all the way through, but instead, they had Morgan kind of disappear for a long time until they could get Lenny full time.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And Ofelia too, where the heck is Ofelia??? Father/daughter reunion?

Is Morgan in the comics? Whats his character arc in that? Lenny James is great.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Definitely need more Ofelia

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Ofelia was picked up by Dayton Callie's character at the end of last season (can't remember the character's name for some reason). So she's somewhere amongst the new group Madison and company have fallen into. My guess is that she's part of the search party / reconnaissance party that hasn't reported in so they're sending out a new party to look for them (which Madison volunteered for). Just a guess, and it makes sense. She's not on the ranch, so that's the next logical place for her.

As an aside, her little cue card skits she's done the last 2 weeks on The Talking Dead has made me realize... I'd watch her do that indefinitely. :lolol: Or eat cherrios, read a phonebook, etc etc.

Morgan IS in the comics. He's a main character from the start (Issue 1). His story in the comics is very similar - the same early on. First survivors to meet Rick. They gather supplies together. shake hands and go their merry way. (Morgan wants to shelter in place with his son). Some time later, while Rick and a few others are scavenging, they find Morgan disheveled and crazed. He attacks Rick until he recognizes him. Tells Rick how Duane died and turned. He was feeding looters he killed to his zombie son. Rick convinces him to leave with them, but Morgan ain't all there for quite some time.

He goes to Alexandria with the group. He even has a fling with Michonne. When Dale goes missing due to the Scavengers (think Bob's story / demise on the show), Morgan is helping the search when he's bitten. Michonne chops his arm off to hopefully save his life. But he dies not long after anyway. There's a few story lines in between, some of them regarding Carl and something I'm not sure if the show will ever address, so I'll leave that out.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep yep, I bet you're a 100% right, makes sense.

:roflmao:

Ohh ok, so they kept some of it the same. Hope he survives though but probably not likely. By the time the show finishes, most of the group will have probably died. I thought Glenn was a character that may survive the series but after his rather gruesome death, I don't believe anyone is safe.

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Carl. Carl is safe.

Rick will die too eventually. But Carl is safe. A long time ago, Kirkman said something to the effect of the story ultimately being Carl's story. Everyone else is cannon fodder. ;)

I hope they keep Morgan around a while longer. Hell, Carol should have died in season 2-3, so there's hope. Then again, Andrea lived far longer in the comics (only recently died, like 1 or 2 issues ago) so anything's possible. For that matter, maybe even Carl isn't safe...

The Negan origin story side-issues are really good too. Not sure if they'll work any of that into the show. But I hope they do a little.

Edited to add:

Oh! I just had a thought. What if Ofelia had a bad experience with this survivalist group and left. Bad enough to want to shoot down one of their helicopters? :hmm::hehehe:

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That opening scene...

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    This season so far has been MUCH better than the first 3 overall. There will be good and bad in any season, but overall it has been more interesting and entertaining. Funny how cutting some dead weight will do that... :hi:

Last week's episode was great (I might be biased as Daniel has always been my favorite character). And yeah, that opening scene...

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Yeah, I don't hate the junky quite as much as in the first season. The first couple of seasons I was hoping he would overdose or just plain get shot. Wtf is up with Alicia? Her action towards the end reminded me a bit of what BB was trying to get Cusack to do in Pushing Tin.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I really could care less about the Junkie's family. The dynamic I wanted was him and the step-dad.

At least they brought back the two other interesting people. Not liking how her family is "unharmed" so far even though they have made most of the mistakes to get other people killed! Just ticks me off!

Would have liked to have the lady from the plane in the group. she seemed like a solid character and a break from them.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Say what you will, but I believe this show has finally found its legs. Now most shows don't get 3 years to find their groove, and AMC gave them a ton of rope, but they finally are there. This season so far has been every bit as good as any season on the original TWD. I just hope the back half can keep it up.

And we finally have answered one major question throughout the whole thing, from comics, to both shows: yup, the whole world is screwed.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That was a very very good midseason finally. Excellent really. TWD carried it for sure the first couple seasons but it grew up this season.

I didn't realize that was in question, I just always assumed it was a world wide epidemic. Still a cool moment in the series and that poor sob just floating up there waiting to die. Just think, there will even be a zombie in space. I see a sequel already, virus is vanquished, world is restored, only for this guy to be found, bites, apocalypse all over again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1