1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 23, 2015.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought episode 3 was better than the other 2, but I hope it picks up soon.

This could almost be a non-walking dead show this season. We finally saw more zombies this week, but other than that, it could almost be called "Fear the tension between Madison and Victor."

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Personally the interactions between survivors is the interesting part. Without that you just a basic formula of our heroes are trapped by yet another horde. Will they survive? Of course they made it out by the skin of their teeth only losing this weeks redshirt.

3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh yeah, I definitely agree about the interactions between characters. That's what makes the original show interesting. It's more about the characters than the zombies, for me anyway, but for a zombie show, FTWD has been light on the rest of the story so far this year.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, they are on the water, mostly, so I was expecting less zombie action than TWD. They have to be careful to not just let this turn into TWD West Coast.

Still not sure where Strands intentions lie, that was some cold blooded **** when he hacked that line though. I only caught a glimpse of the scenes but it looks like the group might be starting to splinter.

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm more interested in who he's talking to and what this compound is. What if he's not running the show? What if he's only allowed to bring so many people or they get turned away - him included.

Yeah, cutting Alex loose is cold. But what if he has no choice?

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good point, hadn't thought of that :hmm:

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    A few spoilers leaked. One rather surprising about Strand's background. And I consider that the least revealing spoiler, just something that had never occurred to me:

Strand is gay. His boyfriend is at this compound they're going to.

No. I'm not kidding.

A little bigger spoiler, but nothing shocking:

Strand has been on the phone with his boyfriend the whole time. The compound they're going to is heavily fortified and well stocked - enough to host a small amount of people indefinitely. They also believe it's completely safe from incursion. The compound belongs to Strand's business partner... "Mr. Abigaile." Yep, it seems it is NOT Strand's goddamned boat. ;)

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I peaked :lolol:

Seems like you were right :applaud:

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Good episode. Probably the best one of the series so far.

Never expected Dougray Scott to show up on the show...

The spoilers were accurate. But he only told his people about Nick? Hmmmmm....

(Coleman Domingo was on The Talking Dead and said that Strand always keeps his word. If he says something, he means it. So why the 2 stories?)

But it does explain some of Strand's... anxiety the past few episodes.

Worst. Pirates. Ever.

Alicia is on The Talking Dead next week. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    No crap! Why would you sweep in take 2 people and leave the prize you came for in the hands of 3 people?

Strands story seemed a little forced, but I'll buy it in the name of getting diversity on television.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Yeah, show is picking up, I'm liking it. Louis is bad ass, two head shots, bam bam, dead! On a rubber motor boat no less :eek:

I second the pop corn next week :popcorn:

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, Colman Domingo, the actor who plays Strand, is himself gay. (Side note: I totally missed it. I usually pick up on that, but never guessed with him). Originally, Strand was supposed to have a wife/ex-wife/late wife who Abigaile was named after. That's what they told Colman when he was hired. But over the off-season, they decided to retool his character - Colman's own personal traits I'm sure factored into it.

That said, we STILL don't know about Strand's "orientation," IMO. He's a supreme survivor/opportunist. Is he just going along with Thomas for personal gain? Colman himself pointed out that when Thomas told him he loved him, Strand only said, "I'll be back." :hmm:

I don't know that it was done for "diversity's sake." I'll take it at face value that it's just meant to make him more complex or intriguing. I mean, we already had several gay characters on the main show with little fanfare. It was almost always matter of fact. And in Strand's case, it shows he has potentially emotional reasons for acting the way he does - for a character who seems above emotion.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The main show has been killing the gay relationships off though. It's almost to the 2 black guys trope in the group level at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see a spoof like this on it soon:

ignore the title.

I'm thinking they're shady developers with drug/government corruption ties.

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Solid episode, if not exactly Earth shattering.

I always thought Alex was a looker going back to the Flight 462 webisodes. But she really should let her hair down all the time. :good: I doubt we've seen the last of her. The question is will she be friend or foe in the future?

I have one gripe. And it's not even about the show, but about The Talking Dead...

Who the hell is doing these actresses' makeup? Whether it's TWD or FTWD, they get these gorgeous women, and cake the makeup and lipstick on them to the point they look like a 3 year old girl just got in her Mommy's case. I understand you need makeup under those lights, but come on! They made Alycia Debnam Carey look like a 50 year old cougar trying too hard. (Nothing wrong with women of that age. But a 24 year old shouldn't look like she's 50 trying to look 30). They've done it in the past with Lauren Cohan, Emily Kinney, and others. (Rosita being the only one I can recall who wasn't plastered to heck. Or maybe her skin tone just hid it well). Less is more...

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the same thing about her lipstick :lolol:

She has gorgeous lips and they piled on a ton of lipstick. Way too much make up everywhere on her, just chalked it up as them going for the glam look.

Thought the episode was good though, overall. Don't know why they needed bags on Travis and Reeds heads, seemed needless other then a way to surprise Carlos with a zombie Reed. Thats just nitpicking though, I think the show has picked it up, going much better now.

And one of my most hated characters when the show began, Nick, is turning out to be one of my favorites.

And I think people that are surmising about Maddies background are correct. Daryl or Rick are part of her story.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I was meh on this episode....Seemed to much like the Governor on speedplay......

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Welcome to Hershel's farm: Mexican edition.

Ok, maybe that's not quite fair. Instead of a heart felt, God fearing, sincere man trying to save people he sees as sick from atrocities, we get a bat**** crazy fanatic doing it... for religious reasons.

So who's going to end up telling Chris to look at the flowers?

All in all, this episode was pretty good. I'm finally interested. Too bad the show goes on hiatus after the next episode already.

(Maybe the folks at the Talking Dead read my last criticism. Ofelia wasn't overly made up tonight. :swoon: That's all I have to say about that.)

18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Just got a chance to catch up and watch the latest episode. It was good. The last few have been getting better and better, I just feel like this season took way to long to get interesting, especially for such a short season.

I started to feel like Chris was creeping into phycho territory since he killed his first zombie, and now it's affecting how he views living people. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Travis is obviously in denial, and his claim that it's the same as it was with Nick is a little off, since Nick wasn't actively threatening family members. But his love as a dad is blinding him to that right now.

Celia is definitely giving me the creepy vibe. Similar situation with Hershel, but he clearly had good intentions with what he believed, while Celia seems very questionable.

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, that escalated quickly...

First, I refuse to believe Daniel is dead. We saw no body or death. He's the best character on the show along with Strand. And besides, on The Talking Dead, they all but said he's still alive (even going as far as to not give him an "In Memorian.")

Can we please have Chris and Travis just go away, or get eaten, or suicide pact... something? So tired of both of them.

I don't see what many fans do in Nick. Ok, Frank Dillane is a poor man's Johnny Depp. But otherwise? No feeling that character at all.

Alicia can stay because... well, because. ;)

I'm surprised that Ofelia is growing on me. She was another character who could disappear and I wouldn't even notice.

Maddy has a secret. Kim Dickens was told something about her character's background that no one else on the show knows. Give it to us sooner rather than later. (My money is still on her maiden name being Dixon)

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This resumes tonight. I still have not seen the last episode, just never got around to it.

I'm sure they will air it before tonights premiere. I actually enjoyed last season, mostly.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I still haven't watched last night's episode because I heard it was "All Nick, all the time." I'll watch it eventually, but I really can't stand Nick and couldn't care less about him. IDK why the show keeps trying to make him the central character. OTOH, I've heard Gloria returns, sooooooo... there's that. (Flashbacks. Gloria, if you don't recall, was the "hottest walker ever" in the church in the first episode when Nick first wakes up.)

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, she was in it, briefly and must say, even hotter alive ;)

Yeah, it was all Nick all the time and probably not the episode to choose for the first show back. It wasn't bad though but I am not down on Nicks character as much as you. Oh, and there is another girl from Nicks past in this that doesn't hurt the eyes either :)

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The only other woman from Nick's past I saw was Maddison. Now, I happen to find Kim Dickens very attractive, but I'm not sure that's who you meant?

I'm mostly interested in Luciana from this episode. Seems like a character with a lot of potential. /crossfingers Otherwise, this whole episode seemed like a waste of time.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Small part, in flash backs when he was in rehab. Dont even recall her name.

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought that was Gloria?