1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 23, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Ahh, OK. I didn't hear anything during the original airing, so I figured it was added in to make the event more clear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    The sound was really increased for the "previously on."

What's funny is that the CC on the original showing actually reads "sounds of gunfire." I think someone messed up in the mixing department. So they corrected it for the flashback.

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You'd have to think an armored division could just do it. As long as the mess didn't jam the treads, which were made to take worse.....

No way a herd survives that.

4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Good job, Travis. They finally dropped. A little late, but better late than never I guess.

I'll wait until tomorrow to talk about anything episode related so as not to spoil anyone. BUT....

On The Talking Dead after the show, the show's runner dropped a potentially mega-bomb of a teaser:

They had been discussing various characters and what makes them tick. Including that Madison seems to have, if not a dark side, certainly a ruthless or pragmatic side. Kim Dickens said that Madison had a "rough life" (paraphrasing) and that it made her tougher than she appears in normal situations. They were also talking about fan speculation about this aspect of the show or that, and then the producer dropped the bomb...

He said that he was surprised that nobody has questioned Madison's accent. She's clearly not from LA, it's a southern accent, so where is she from? (queue music: dun dun dun). Chris Hardwick immediately jumped on that excitedly and said "Is she going to suggest going to see her brother Rick?" The fans laughed.

2 things:

1- Does anyone remember any character on the show mentioning family out west?

2- I'll put my money on the odds that her maiden name is...

Dixon. ;)

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, and uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Submitted without comment. :blush:

[​IMG]

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    hahahahahaha

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I found it really amusing, that there was not one vehicle on the highways, when it showed them driving, what happend no one tried to leave twn while all of this has started,

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They have said they were going to head East on more than one occasion. Although, considering where they live East is really the only option unless they can come up with a big boat. ;)

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    True. But they were talking about going east "to the desert." And "to the camp site."

Not all the way to the east coast. ;)

Although, with that boat, who knows where they're heading? If, that is, they get anywhere in it before being overrun by "Pirates of the Zombie Apocalypse."

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ray, I think you may be absolutely correct in thinking Madison may be Daryl's sister. I noted also that it was stated that Madison may have had a rough life, and that would fit the hard life Daryl has also described on TWD. I can't even imagine having a brother like Merle, though.

The only other thing I'm wondering is who her dead husband was. Did they ever address that on FTWD? If they did, I missed it.

I have to admit that I wasn't too thrilled with this show through the first 3 episodes, so much so that I didn't even watch episodes 4 and 5 until yesterday afternoon in anticipation of the season finale. I just wasn't becoming invested in the characters.

I initially thought Liza was a beotch, but I grew to actually like her.

Travis got on my nerves because he was so weak.

I wanted to hit Nick upside the head with a shovel.

Alicia seemed like a spoiled, entitled brat.

I did like Ofelia and still do. I was shocked, SHOCKED, I tell ya, that Andrew turned his gun on her. I was happy that Travis then found his balls and pummeled the hell out of him.

Chris was just meh.

I kinda figured there was something sinister about Daniel.

I had no vested interest in Griselda and didn't care what happened to her.

Madison, although a strong woman, seemed so cold hearted and bitchy. I couldn't believe it when, after having sex with Travis in the backseat of the car in the garage, she crawled off him and stepped right out of the car like, "Wham-bam-thank you, sir." :lolol: When she wouldn't get back in the car even after he begged her to do so, I thought to myself, "Damn, girl, that's cold."

I'm not sure what to think about Strand other than the fact that, at this point, I think he's a whackadoodle.

It figures that, now that the action is starting to pick up and I'm becoming more invested in the show, we have to wait until next season.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, I'm impressed with the change in Travis.

The ballpeen hammer just didn't look big enough to induce that kind of head trauma. What would be cool is if they come across a real collector of swords, battle axes, war hammers, etc. That would be bad ass!

I'm still not invested in these characters though.

Apparently every military guy is a selfish prick that likes to take advantage of civilians because they have guns.

Why does Madison need to tell Daniel how to treat wounds? Wasn't he in a brutal civil war? If he knows how to torture and not kill, can he not treat a gunshot wound?

Strand? Strand? Let's see the one black guy we've seen and they haven't killed and they make him a raving lunatic?

Two strikes for me. I'm very disappointed in the depiction of the military guys. Especially when the ones they had in the original showed the diverse background and general trusting nature of a group of U.S. soldiers.

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    That's 2 of you now saying Strand is nuts. I disagree (to a point. We'll get to that).

I think he's the smartest man in the room. (And the coolest. He's the Shaft / Lando Calrissean of the Zombie Apocalypse). Ruthless? Absolutely. Cold-blooded and calculating? You bet. Interested only in what he can gain? Yep. Only cares about how people can give him an advantage? Of course.

But I don't think he's insane. Well....

What do we know about him? He's very wealthy. He can read people exceptionally. He's manipulative. He's constantly looking for a way to gain from any circumstance. If someone, something, or some place can't help him, it holds no value to him. (He even referred to the other prisoners as not being "value added." That's upper management speak)

He's very successful. And he's a classic psychopath. BUT, being a psychopath does not mean he's coo coo for cocopuffs. He's not living in an alternate reality, or hearing voices. He's not suicidal or self-harming. He's not painting walls with <insert bodily fluid... or solid>. He's not manic. He doesn't suffer from depression. But he DOES have many of the hallmark traits of a psychopath:

https://psychopathyawareness.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/the-list-of-psychopathy-symptoms/

And it should be noted that many, if not most psychopaths are not inherently violent. Many go through life without ever being diagnosed or having legal trouble. There was a study a while back that suggested that CEOs, other Upper management positions, and entrepreneurs were 3 times as likely as the general population to be psychopaths. The theory being that many psychopathic traits served them well in their jobs. (But it should also be noted that the prison population is 15 times more likely)

How this plays out over time will be interesting. Especially if that's what the show is going for. It could also be that we're judging too soon, and we don't have all the necessary info on him yet. But I'm leaning to the former.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I wish these little webisodes were longer than 90 seconds. But I guess they want to show them during episodes of TWD, so they've kept them commercial length.

I already hate the kid. He'd better not be the new cast member. :lolol:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good thing Walkers arent Reavers or they'd likely have to sail through Reaver space :eek:

They did portray the military in a very poor light. Only episode 4 showed any of them having any remorse for what they were doing.

I'm starting to enjoy the show more, starting to come around on some of the characters, figures they killed off probably the most likable member so far. Maybe they felt having Liza mirrored Hershel too much, having a medically knowledgable person in the group.

The show still dropped the ball though, they needed to display a bigger scope of the beginning of the zombie apocalypse and not just focus on a small group of people. An entire city is deserted, dead, abandoned or otherwise and we really saw none of it. :thumbs__down:

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

Add the fact that this 2 1/2 families just left every neighbor in the dark, tortured a guy for no reason (then he shot the girl he liked inexplicably) and we're supposed to feel for them....

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, they felt they had a reason, trying to save family members but I think I know why he shot Ofiela, it was either because she set him up by luring him back to her father or because he thought that would hurt Salazar the most or both reasons.

As for not telling any neighbors, Maddy said that, she said they dont know and another person said they didnt do anything when they came for our family members.

I think worse than all that was Salazar freeing the Walkers, turning them lose. Thats pretty effed up. How many people end up dying because of that.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes and yes. I don't get the motivation that they didn't do anything. They set up the old lady going and his ex-wife set up the son getting taken. Hell, he didn't do anything when they took other neighbors!

Turning the walkers loose was asinine and it almost killed them as well.

Also, WHEN ARE THESE PEOPLE GOING TO LEARN TO SHUT DOORS BEHIND THEM?!

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    This bugs the hell out of me.

21. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Watched the finale last night. I agree that this was a ballsy and incredibly stupid move by Salazar with the arena full of walkers. Apparently the havoc he turned on that compound was collateral damage. Perhaps not everyone in there was out to do harm, they were simply following orders.
    Strand might be cold (and could be a sociopath), but I think he's the only one who really has any inkling of what to do in this new world, besides maybe Salazar.
    It was nice to see Travis finally show some anger, but I wonder what triggered it. Maybe it was the fact that he trusted Andrew and this is what happens when you trust people in this new world?
    I'm kind of surprised that Alicia and Chris were still there when the rest of the group got back to the parking garage. I expected the soldiers to take her as a "trophy" (kind of like what the military tried to do in 28 days later).
    And how was it that Eliza was bitten but showed no signs of sickness at all? I think back to Carol's husband in season one of TWD. It was pretty obvious right from the get go that he was bitten.
    And I too agree about closing doors. They never closed the gate to their community when they left, they never closed any doors when they were going through the military/hospital complex. Just seemed rather foolish of me. But perhaps it's a learning curve.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think he was? Shane kicked his ass if I remember. Jim was bitten when the camp was overrun and it took him a couple days. The bite doesnt turn you, the infection kills you and then you turn.

23. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought they knew it right away, maybe I'm mistaken.
    I have to say, it was pretty damn smart of them using the aqueducts as roads

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Season premiere tonight. Who's sticking with it?

I'll tune in.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm still in. Cautiously optimistic, but in.