1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

farriors agent doesnt think he will be back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Feb 26, 2012.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Good I don't need to see Farrior chasing a rb or te from 5 yds behind. Let Sly Stevenson play more.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    thanks for all the memories but yeah it is time to go

3. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Its comments like that that make me question so many NFL fans. Farrior is way past his prime and is no way the player he used to be. Right now Foote is the better player. Foote is better than Timmons at stopping the run too. I am not saying Farrior in his prime wasnt the best fit for our defense, what I am saying is right now, at this point in their careers, its over for Farrior. Foote has gas left in the tank. Timmons, well lets just say I havent been impressed for a full season yet. I will give Timmons moments and flashes, but he disappears for long stretches and is often out of position and over pursues his assignments. Timmons should be so much better than he is based on all the hype the guy gets from fans in Pittsburgh. I honestly dont know what you all see in Timmons. Compare stats with Foote and Farrior vs Farrior and Timmons , the defense was better with Foote. Timmons only got to play because he was Tomlins first draft pick and he had to play...Foote was forced out but not because of lack of performance but because Timmons couldnt play with him still here. Once Foote was gone, Timmons was given the spot.[/quote:3bcv1s2e]

I was agreeing with you there for a bit but then you said that foote's '08 campaign wasn't cut-worthy. it absolutely was.

Foote before he was cut was disastrous, always getting beat on pass plays, always getting run over by big backs.

Most of the farrior over foote love is probably coming from that season. ever since we resigned foote, I can't think of very many times where he was out of position, trailing a TE on a big catch or getting run over by a RB. He has definitely improved since then

Farrior, although he is the leader of our defense looks out of position, trailing the TE, has his tackle broken way too many times in the past 2 seasons.

4. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And those other NFL fans have all the reason to question your thinking, foote isn't better than: woodley, Timmons or James Harrison at stopping the run. No way....not even close.

I have no respect for steeler fans that haven't " quite" been won over by, or just come out with the "over rated" about Timmons. What more will it take? Does the man have to take flight or run the speed of light to impress you? If your a stats person look it up he's got top 5 numbers...guess that makes him a top 5 MLB? Probably not right? Oh, in a QB driven league where players get caught out of position all the time, you see it happen to Timmons a couple times and that translates to "often out of place". He's big, fast, stops the run can cover and is every bit as good as any MLB in the league that you might call the best. He dissapears for Long streches of time? Gets caught out of position? I could say the same about polamalu sometimes. Has he won you over yet?

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    my sentimental side would love for farrior to stay....... my common sense side says it's time to go....... my optimistic side says sylvestor is ready to take over.

6. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I realize all players are out of position from time to time...its part of the game when trying to make some plays. My comment about Timmons is that he is out of position more than the other LB I am comparing him to on our team...in this case its Foote. I will not compare our players to league statistics because its not apples to apples for many reasons( scheme, opponents, etc ...) I agree Timmons is faster and better in pass coverage ( although I think our inside LB are horrible in coverage ) My comment was that Foote is better at stopping the run. I have seen Foote stick his nose in there and make the stop and the RB goes nowhere or backwards...whereas I have seen Timmons stick his nose in there and get driven back by the RB, still making the tackle but not strong at the point of contact. Yes he gets credit for the tackle but does he get the FEAR FACTOR from the back?? I dont think he does and thats what my commens are about. Here is how I rank the 3 LB'ers:
    Farrior-Run Defense (avg) Pass Defense (below avg)
    Foote - Run Defense( above avg) Pass Defense( below avg)
    Timmons - Run Defense (avg ) Pass Defense ( avg )

Synopsis is its time for Farrior to move on even though he is still the smartest LB'er on the field for us, his physical abilities have diminshed to the point to where he cant compensate enough with intelligence and play diagnosis to cover for his lack of physical ability. Trust me, I didnt want to believe my athletic talents diminished either and was the last guy to admit it as well, its not the mind that that goes its the body. Aches and pains take longer to go away, the ground feels harder, the hits sting a little more and last a little longer....it happens to all of us, knowing when its time is the hardest part.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not entering the Timmons debate, however, I do believe when we get Farrior's replacement you will see more of what you are looking for out of Timmons. I have seen him lay some people out and to say that he hasn't is just being biased. When I watch Timmons I see a young man that looks like he is trying to do everything and doesn't always succeed. I believe he has it in him to be the stud people were hoping for. Having said the above, I've been married twice so I guess I've been wrong before!

8. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

ray, where'd you get the todd haley gif on your signature? i don't know why, but everytime i see it i just start laughing...haha[/quote:2e6lpgo5]

That was courtesy of TTF after I remarked that I wished I could edit an older version of his goofy "oh goody" reaction gif into that. :)[/quote:2e6lpgo5]

Since we're on the subject, I'd vote to bring back the girl and the hotdog.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That was courtesy of TTF after I remarked that I wished I could edit an older version of his goofy "oh goody" reaction gif into that. :)[/quote:3mlg37tj]
    Since we're on the subject, I'd vote to bring back the girl and the hotdog.[/quote:3mlg37tj]
    Nah. That was probably too risque for this board, but you could just google something like 'todd haley gif' and view it out on the interwebs to your heart's content. ;)

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I hate to see Farrior go. He's been very good for our team for the last decade. If he is able to compete at a high level and he can win a roster spot I would love to see the Steelers keep him with the team. If it doesn't work out and he is released I'll miss him and always wish him the best.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Its comments like that that make me question so many NFL fans. Farrior is way past his prime and is no way the player he used to be. Right now Foote is the better player. Foote is better than Timmons at stopping the run too. I am not saying Farrior in his prime wasnt the best fit for our defense, what I am saying is right now, at this point in their careers, its over for Farrior. Foote has gas left in the tank. Timmons, well lets just say I havent been impressed for a full season yet. I will give Timmons moments and flashes, but he disappears for long stretches and is often out of position and over pursues his assignments. Timmons should be so much better than he is based on all the hype the guy gets from fans in Pittsburgh. I honestly dont know what you all see in Timmons. Compare stats with Foote and Farrior vs Farrior and Timmons , the defense was better with Foote. Timmons only got to play because he was Tomlins first draft pick and he had to play...Foote was forced out but not because of lack of performance but because Timmons couldnt play with him still here. Once Foote was gone, Timmons was given the spot.[/quote:yhdbi4vy]
    You're right, I don't really know what I was saying. I'm not the "paying attention" type. Foote was forced out for politics and no other reason.

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You lost me. I have no idea where you are getting this. Are you his dad? He'd probably be out of the league if not for us. I'm aware Farrior has been dropping like a stone. I'm aware Timmons has not lived up to his potential. But comparing them objectively, I don't see how anyone could call Foote above average. I can think of one nationally televised game where he got credit from the announcers and the message board for stopping a touchdown on the goal line, but I thought 90% of the credit should have gone to Harrison, who took out the blocker and got the RB around the knees, while Foote got his upper half.

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Timmons is by far the superior athlete, albeit the least experienced.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    All i know is anytime we play ne timmons needs to play olb. He did a great job covering gronk from the olb spot where he was on top of him right away.

15. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah this talk about Foote being a better player than Timmons is simply absurd, nothing else to be said. Foote is stiff and slow, he is by no means exceptional at any aspect of the game nor was he ever. Timmons is an athletic freak that had to cover ALOT of space in the middle of the field due to Farrior's lack of being able to do his part. Timmons has been exactly what we need him to be and he will only get better once we get a young replacement next to him that can do his part.

16. RobertoC#21

Nov 24, 2011
    There really must be something in the water up there in Pgh. Either that or you all suffer from selective amnesia. It took Timmons 3 years to see the field and he never could supplant Foote when Foote was still on the team. Timmons didnt become a starter until Foote left, that speaks volumes to me as to who was better at the time. When Foote came back Timmons kept the job. I never said Foote was superior in athleticism to Timmons. That being said, Foote is better against the run, its plain to see. Timmons is a better athlete, that doesnt make him a better run defender. I have been a Steeler fan longer than most of you have been alive, I am subjective and dont have the local media in PGH blowing smoke up my behind, so I guess thats where my objectiveness comes from. I see whats really happening without bias from a reporter trying to make a story out of nothing but hype. Watch Timmons play, EVERY PLAY. and you tell me if he is some kind of great athlete or if he is out of position more than he should be....this is a real question...he may be a great athlete, but he might not be the sharpest tack in the box, he isnt learning as fast as I would like.

Those of you who think Timmons is covering for a slower Farrior, I would think it may be the opposite, that Farrior is slower because he is covering for an out of position Timmons.

You asked if I was Footes father, well is Timmons yours? What kind of comment is that?

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Foote played his role on the defense really well...basically as the thumper to throw his body into blockers so Farrior could get the glory.

Timmons wont throw his body in there and blow blockers up. He would rather run a guy down sideline to sideline. That is why we could use a Levon Kirkland type dude to just level guys at the line of scrimmage.

I think Foote could start for one year and we would be okay, but not longer than that. Farrior looks like he just doesn't have the legs anymore.

The only way I see Farrior still playing here next year and performing well is if the 3 defensive linemen have a really REALLY great year next year and lets Farrior run around clean from any blockers.

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I just never met anyone with your point of view before. Your opinions of Farrior and Timmons are both common. Your high opinion of Foote is not one I've come across. Most people think of him as average at best, even at what he does best.

You're also misleading Timmons' history. It didn't take him three years to see the field or beat out Foote. His first year was almost entirely derailed by injury and he only played special teams when he played at all. PLUS, he was originally being groomed for OLB to replace Porter, because the team didn't know what they had in Harrison. He had to switch to ILB in the middle of it all. In his second year, he replaced Foote on passing downs, and it made a world of difference. I believe he should have been in there all the time, but you know how this team is about veterans vs. younger players (ARE over Sanders, are you serious? Returning punts over Brown, are you serious?). They are obsessed with known quantities over potential. Plus, Foote is LeBeau's boy. They like his familiarity with the system, plus his vocal leadership, which is why they brought him back here and overpaid him when no one else in the league wanted him at all. In Timmons' third year, he was going to beat out Foote, and it was so obvious Foote left for Detroit early in the offseason.

I know Timmons isn't perfect, and his flaws are all mental. Being in position. He might not be the sharpest tack. But you make it sound like Foote doesn't have those same flaws. Smart or not, he's out of position all the time, and doesn't have any of the physical skills Timmons does. He misses tackles a lot too. I'm basing this off of tape.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i am old enough to have watched roberto play. foote was brought in as a backup. i have seen him absolutely run over so many times by running backs it made me wanna puke. if it wasen't for kendrell bell getting hurt foote would still not have seen the field. he also earned the distinction as the worst LB in the league against the pass , the year he was in detroit. foote is a backup and always should be. i don't have to read the paper to see that on the field.:cool:

20. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Farrior is a Steeler great that is done. Foote is also done. Timmons is good, Sylvester is better than Foote and has some experience now. Time to bring in another young guy.

The steelers NEED a guard, d-lineman, mlb, and place kicker. The order?... Talent level and availability will determine that in the draft and free agency.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not a big Foote fan, but what has Sylvester done to prove he's better than anybody?

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is actually a good point, I think. I always think of Sylvester as being great, perhaps from pre-season efforts, perhaps from ST (and perhaps that in itself makes him better than Foote)... but I'll admit to not noticing a whole lot whether it was him or Foote on the field.

23. RobertoC#21

Nov 24, 2011
    I believe your comments about Foote being worse in pass defense than Timmons is exactly what I said. You will never convince me that Timmons is a better run defender. I have seen Timmons get trucked at the goal line by small RB's when he has a clean shot and had to tackle them off to the side allowing them to score instead of driving them backwards like a STUD LB should. Thats all I needed to see to know what kind of heart and player he is. He is overhyped, underperforming and not very good. I really would love to know what everyone in Pgh sees in this guy. Did they do a story on this guy when he was drafted that made him the next Jack Lambert or what? He really hasnt performed up to anywhere near the hype or accolades. I agree Foote may be on the downward side of his career now that he is 30+. Please dont tell me Timmons is a stud, he hasnt done anything worthy of praise, he isnt a standout and offenses dont scheme around him. I would venture to guess that they would actually go at him because he will probably run himself out of the play and leave a hole.

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well you're wrong that Timmons hasn't done anything worthy of praise. Even the biggest Timmons haters out there will concede that he should have made the Pro Bowl in 2010. In 2009 he played better than Foote had in any given year of his career. 2011 was sort of of a down year for him, but he had little support in a defense that wasn't itself early, and then he had to switch positions to cover for injuries three deep. In the last third of the season he got back on track. But even when he wasn't playing great, he wasn't playing bad. The same cannot be said for Larry Foote.

This wasn't about Timmons for me. But just because his expectations and potential are sky high, and Foote has neither of those things, doesn't make him worse than Foote in any department. In other words, Timmons could play at 60% of capacity and Foote at 120%, and it doesn't make Foote better. But go ahead and know "everything you need to know" off of one play. Foote misses tackles every way, every day, and has since he entered this league. Just because he's "good for" being a thumper in run defense doesn't make him "good at" it. David Johnson is good for pounding into guys, but he's still a terrible lead blocker. Kemo's good for pushing guys around, but he can't block at all! Foote was a 4th rounder drafted to be a backup. Just still being in the league makes him an overachiever, but it doesn't make him good enough, or good. I've never liked Foote ever. Not as a rookie, not before Timmons, not since Timmons. I don't think he's ever been good enough for us. He definitely isn't now.

25. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would imagine that you as well as most of the football world would consider Ulacher a stud Linebacker (at least at one point and time) and yet Bettis ran him over on the way into the end zone. Getting ran over when your on defense happens. Most of the time, around the line of scrimmage, defenders are standing still while a running back is charging ahead, running. Physics would dictate that no matter how big and strong you are, or how much of a stud you happen to be, you are going to get ran over once in a while. I would wager that I could find you footage of any stud linebacker you mention getting ran over at some point.