1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Farrior play was the start of their down fall

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Dec 20, 2011.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    DId you see how Vernon Davis the TE run right by Farrior and make that beautiful catch? They scored a TD on that drive. That play was the start of it. Farrior is so slow and should not be in the game. He and Ray Lewis who got torched against the Chargers on Sunday night. They are both old and slow. Both of them should retire, especially Farrior.

Anytime Farrior has to cover a TE, he will be toast. Can you imagine Farrior trying to cover the Saints TE, Graham?

2. merlin111

merlin111 Active Member

Nov 3, 2011
    dont disagree with farriors fall off. However i also saw timmons get torched by davis as well. I find it funny that their no name lber, grant? can cover like a machine on our te and some receivers but our highly paid lbers like timmons and woodley and farrior and also foote cant keep track of their te or stay healthy enough to play in a whole game in the last month and a half.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    At this point I'd rather have Farrior in there than Timmons. At least Farrior is caught out of position because of his waning athletic ability. Timmons just doesn't diagnose very well. Farrior still brings value, but it's not like it was 2-3 years ago; his time is running out. Still tough, still smart, but we're asking for trouble when he's expected to cover TE's and RB's one-on-one.

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I caught myself thinking during the game "I'd trade Timmons for grant straight-up." An over-reaction, yes, but not good that I was even thinking about it since we just gave Timmons big money to perform better than the backup ILB on the 49ers.

5. stairway2seven

stairway2seven Member

Oct 24, 2011
    does not help no pressure at all on smith. Having Harrison out really hurt as Woodley is just to banged up. I mean he looked super slow with the injury tonight

6. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Timmons is even worst this year. He has no sacks, even after filling in for Harrison while he was hurt. He has no INT's, and does not lead the team in tackles. He has fallen off after getting all that money. HE and Woodley need to give some of that money back for not performing up to par. Both of their performances are totally unexceptable at this point. Timmons was suppose to be at pro bowl status by now. He is just another run of the mill ILB this year. Farrior and Foote are both on the down side of there careers. Please tell me why Slyvester is sitting on the bench while Farrior and Foote hurt the team at very crucial times. Slyvester is siting on the bench and running down the field on special team and making plays. If he can run down the field on special teams, he should be able to cover TE's and or RB's out of the back field.

7. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    running str8 down field to special teams is WAY dif then covering TEs and RBs justsayin

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ben's first pick was the start of it. Another redzone failure. Farrior (or most other linebackers) matched up with that tightend and good pass protection is not a recipe for success.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Potsy is running a little low on fuel, He will be part of the purge
    next year. Why isn't Stevenson Sylvester getting more minutes?

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I knew Timmons and Farrior were going to be keys to this game. They needed to shutdown the heavy run game that 49ers use and they didn't. They needed to cover the TE and they didn't.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I was a high on Sylvester at the beginning of the season. He has got a little playing time on D, but he seems like a better special teams Ace than a starter for some reason.

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    At no point in Farrior's career would he have been able to cover Vernon Davis man to man. Davis ran a 4.3 40 at the combine, and torches every linebacker he goes up against. That was an issue of defensive planning, not Farrior's speed or age. You might as well have put him on Crabtree or Edwards or Ginn.

If he'd been burned by Crabtree, you probably wouldn't be complaining about Farrior's age, but rather the fact that he was asked to cover him at all. And Davis is faster than Crabtree. So...

13. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought Foote was an issue. I seen Ike cuss him out.

14. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I don't think Grant could cover Davis either. Davis is a receiver playing tE and a match problem for most linebackers in the league. He needs to be covered by a safety with a linebacker underneath.

15. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Wrong, he has 1 int. He has more tackles than anyone on the team who isn't named Clark or Polamalu.

16. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm sure that covering kickoffs and punts are far less complicated than playing MLB in Dick Lebeau's defense.

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL !

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True. Covering Heath and covering Davis are two separate things.

Timmons made some bad calls, but most of the D were taking bad angles in coverage. Early on, our line was getting pressure, but the 49ers were getting it out short and then making up a few extra yards because of the bad angle.

19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    THIS IS WHY I AM ALL OVER ARIANS' BUTT!!!!!!!! This isn't all about the defense. It's about the offense! That game was a master stroke of game planning. The 49ers offense had the Steelers' D pegged and consistently got themselves in mismatch situation or situations where the Steelers were late to racongnize their assignments. Notice that Arians' offense is incapable of putting their playmakers in similar situations. Ben has to throw into crowds and tight coverage. Alex Smith was throwing to wide-open WRs.

20. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    THIS X10 The Steelers on O have TOP 10 players at most every O pos QB both WR TE RB but the OC doesnt know how to use them right! or game plan to use their strengths!