1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Farewell Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 13, 2024.

1. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

Mason chose Titans because of their ability to complete physicals in a timely manner.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Mason also has seen enough of Tomlin to realize Steelers aren't winning anything as long as he is the head coach. Tomlin's voice blurting 'aye aye' in the locker room gets old after a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    It is funny, when I read this, I was like... "Who is the Titan's head coach?" So off to Google I go...... I would say the Odds are 50/50 this guy makes it more than 1 year.

upload_2024-3-30_9-19-57.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    I say 100% chance he makes it more than 1 year

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    If I was in charge of the Titans, I would have kept Vrabel as head coach, and brought back Arthur Smith as OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    That was a little surprising guess they were ready to go younger.

Just saying the new guy will make it into the second year at least.
    Don't see them cutting ties before 1 season.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    If you read the 6-10 steps it is all about Mike Tomlin having to tell Kenny that he was no longer QB1 and Russell Wilson was the new Steelers starting QB immediately.

upload_2024-4-8_20-14-44.png

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Right. Some “trusted insider” of some no name on the web says it, so that’s obviously the way it all went down. I call BS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No way of knowing unless more of this story breaks but a lot of that sounds plausible.

I think the Steelers fully intended to run it back with Pickett and Rudolph with a real QB competition and then the sea parted for them and Wilson and Fields fell into their laps.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Thank god Khan was not dumb like this!

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Seriously anyone that knows Tomlin knows that to 'guarantee' a starter position is likely not happening. So my guess is the lines are a little blurred.

He probably told Kenny of the possibility of sitting behind Wilson for a bit as a PRESUMED starter with the intention of focusing on Kenny's growth in the position.

Other sources suggest something of this narrative that the intent was to help Pickett develop.

Wilson is here short term due to his age alone. The Steelers still need a Franchise QB. Will Fields be the answer? Who know I like the guy I hope he pulls it together

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But you aren't

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You can only ignore the patterns for so long. Blount, JH, Ingram, Rudolph and now Kenny.

It’s a cutthroat business and Tomlin and Khans job is to improve the team and do what they think is best for it but let’s not pretend these things arent happening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    This thing reads like your proving that the gun shot from the grassy knoll that grazed JFK was from a Cuban communist working for the F.B.I

Business moved pretty fast in this case. But I dont have much sympathy w Pickett. He should have accepted a role behind Wilson. Fields, while not perfect, is an upgrade over Pickett for a variety of reasons, so I am fine with how things panned out.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Who is this anyone?

I don't think Mitch signs 15 minutes after free agency with the Steelers if he is not guaranteed the starting job over Mason.

And, I fully believe that Russell says NO to the Giants because they will not guarantee him QB1 over Daniel Jones, but signs with Pittsburgh because they will guarantee Russell QB1 over Kenny Pickett.

This quote by Tomlin to me means they told Kenny Picket that Russell Wilson would be QB1 to "Start" the season.
    "We've been very transparent about the pecking order, at least to start," Tomlin told reporters at the NFL's league meetings in Orlando, Fla. "I just think that provides clarity for all parties involved."

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hell, I've been posting about this for a long time. It's a problem on many levels.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Somebody is being lied too, we see how this plays out.It is never good.

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If this comes to fruition, the D is gonna be solid this year. Now if they would start addressing the gaping holes in the offense we would have something to be excited about. The fact that there’s no true center on the roster, no bonafide WR1 + WR2 combo and Dan Moore is still at LT scares me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Careful. You might have people claiming that you are spreading conspiracy theories by stating that the Steelers are cutthroat and sometimes do things behind the scenes to manipulate situations that aren't exactly forthright and honest.

It is 100% accurate that those things are happening, but that won't stop the people that prefer to live in a fantasy world where the Steelers do everything right and never play that game. They can't stand the thought of breaking that fantasy, so they lash out at people for using common sense thinking about NFL business.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This pretty much highlights exactly what I posted. Wilson is the PRESUMED starter. Tomlin's also on record stating depth charts don't mean much to him. The intent was for Kenny to grow and learn behind Wilson. He felt entitled to the #1 job despite his poor play due to his draft status.

I'm ok with that because ultimately Fields has more upside. I'm not sure any of them is franchise QB material but I hope Fields proves me wrong. The man needs to learn how to read defenses and make smart decisions with the football. The athletic talent is undeniable.

I think Kenny will be a career backup at this point if not out of the league in 3 years.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm sure they sat him down and talked about the desire to win a championship now, offered him the starting job with potential for a multi year deal if things work out.

Wilson is also certainly knowledgeable how this goes down based on his performance. Barring injury, Wilson will be #1 QB the start of the season taking reps with the first team.

How this looks at week 10 could be a different story. The fun is we will see how this all plays out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I am going to miss Mason. I have reservations about Wilson and Fields. They need to change their style of play. Can Arthur Smith and his offensive assistants help with this? I don't know. Hero ball is just not sustainable. The only reason I am on board with our current QB room is because of the value we are getting for these guys and the possibility that they will improve as pocket passers.