1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

False Start on Hodges

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Dec 2, 2019.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No one bitches more about officiating, AFTER A WIN, than Stiller Nation.
    This has the case since at least SBXL.

Take a deep breath, the league ain't out to get you. Paranoia will destroy ya.

2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If you go to the Browns game day message board, even they were saying that those were all bad calls in favor of the Browns. That was part of their complaint after the game that every call went their way and they still lost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They missed a few that were blatant, the receivers still caught the balls though.

4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    He didn't physically move ...did he pass gas??

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s a terrible thing when a clean hit is flagged just because it looked like he hit the QB too hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Immediately after he fell into the end zone the ball clearly and undeniably rolled in to his knee. At least two camera angles showed it on the tv replays.
    Al Riveron is a joke and needs to be replaced. He just flat out sucks. Shame in the NFL if they don’t fire him at the end of the season.

Pat McAfee nails it here. He’s spot on with what he says about the networks grabbing the better qualified refs.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/pat-mcafee-al-riveron-is-a-terrible-01dq55yyy6cv

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Ahh, I had missed the part about it hitting his knee at the game. That makes a little more sense.

9. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    ABSOLUTE TRASH

10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If you watch Philip Rivers in the shotgun he is constantly stamping his feet, clapping his hands and is in perpetual motion and a false start is never called because he is a 16 year vet. The ref who called illegal motion on Hodges should be at least suspended for a game or two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I seem to remember the Browns were complaining to the refs about an earlier offsides against them. I'd bet they were telling them that Duck was doing something to draw them off illegally, and then the refs were looking for it. These refs aren't only bad, they're easily manipulated to get the calls you want.

12. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    the refs are f***in idiots...and they aren't held accountable, thus this same BS continues every week.

13. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I think New York said that he was breathing loudly. Just wish the refs would let them play as they did in the old days. The league has become a joke. Your not even allowed to sack a QB anymore without drawing a flag. And don’t even get me started on PI...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    The false start made zero sense. I'd love to hear exactly what they thought they saw. The Dupree hit was a hard hit, but he did exactly what he's supposed to do and avoided landing on him or driving him into the ground, so again, I'd love to hear an explanation.

What makes the touchback even harder to understand is that the crew on the field didn't make the call on the replay, a separate group in New York did! I think there needs to be an after weekend report on all replays with explanations as to why the decision made was made. There have been several calls this year that even after replay, are wrong. Isn't the point of replay to GET CALLS RIGHT?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it was obvious from the first replay they showed. I'm guessing it was harder on the jumbo screen.

The explanation they gave makes no sense. They're saying what he did was possession and downing in the field of play, so it doesn't matter that he touched it while in the end-zone. That was some quick possession establishment!

16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    All replay decisions are made in New York by Al Riveron. He ****ing sucks. He’s the problem. A random drunken idiot in section 534 row aa seat 15 probably knows the rules as much as him. He’s the one screwing everything up. He’s the problem. He needs to go. He’s atrocious.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-officials/these-officials-are-really-good/nfl-instant-replay-process/

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, 3 very bad calls.

yep, as they are watching it in super slo mo....you could see the guys knee pad move as his leg was resting on the ball. Same with Dupree's roughing, bang bang play but in slo mo they must think he can pull some matrix stuff out of his arse and not hit the qb

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think there was any question if his knee touched the ball while he was on the end zone. The justification I heard was that the officials thought the play was over before that, when he grabbed at the ball and briefly picked it up before dropping it again. Sorry, but no way that was control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelersfan19

Steelersfan19 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    I was very confused by this call. Duck literally moved his shoulder an inch and got penalized. I didn't even know you could get false start on the QB.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Because it's impossible to yell a snap count without some movement of your shoulders/head. unless you're exagerating it to draw the offsides, they don't usually call that.

In fact there's some QB's that made a living out of the hard head bob on the snap count...Manning?

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    never seen that called control before. That's why they have guys that stop short of the goalline to actually control the ball after it's been batted!

23. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    if anything the r3f sneezed and made the call up quick

24. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    The irony is that the same guy who considered it control, didn't consider it control on Jesse James catch against the Pats.

Al Riveron is a joke. He need to be fired and publicly flogged at the 50 during the Super Bowl halftime show.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Doesn't everyone remember early in Manning's career? He always looked like he was flapping his arms to try and fly!
    False start? I don't think so.