1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcons turned into a Cowher Steelers team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    As in playing not to lose, they should've kept throwing the ball instead of trying to run out the clock and have the D take over. They went through the same bonehead penalties, 3 holding calls in a row which kept the cheats drive alive, I guess this what happens when you try to play man vs their receivers.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    lol I think they should have done the opposite. Run on third and one instead of passing and then kick the fg or punt
    Biggest choke in history.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I agree near the end of the game when they were at the cheats 30, should've run to keep the clock going and maybe force the cheats to use a timeout. I'm talking about when the score was at 28-3,, they started to run too much. The passing game was clicking.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd have to rank the Falcons choke-job in the Super Bowl up there with Cowher's choke against the Chargers in the AFC Championship game. Deciding which one was worse is difficult.

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They had 25 minutes to put up 1 FG and win a SB. Matt Ryan choked the game away with taking sacks and fumbling. They were in FG position twice. 3rd and 1, run the ball and you win. They pulled a Ben/Haley.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It was Jones time.
    How'd that decoy thing work out for you Atlanta?

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That fumble wasn't on Ryan, Freeman completely blew his assignment and let the guy kill his QB. Gave him a clear path to Ryan.

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    1st and 10 at the 23 yard line with 4:00 minutes to play...that's where this game was lost. worst case scenario is a 40 yard field goal. Run the damn ball and get maybe 2-3 yards closer. One of the most elite kickers in the game plays for Atlanta. Would've put them up 11 points.

Instead, 12 yard sack, then 10 yard holding penalty. Atlanta lost the game themselves with that sequence of plays!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He still needs more awareness. His sack that took them out of FG range was proof of that.

I forgot they went for onside and pretty much had them in FG position one drive. Complete ****show. Looked liked a coach Tomlin team at the end.

10. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I almost agree. This was the 2nd worst choke. Seattle not giving the ball 'The Beast' on second and goal from the one is the worst choke in super bowl history. The most depressing thing for me is that now Brady and Belicheat are now compared and surpass Noll and Bradshaw. If Seattle doesn't chit the bed and Atlanta doesn't chit the bed, then Brady and Belicheat are compared to Marv Levi and Jim Kelley.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The remaining members of the Oilers team that let the Bills back into the game must be thanking the Falcons today. Now they're not the biggest chokers of all time!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree... that was pretty bad, too.

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Completely disagree. Up 28-3 I am explaining to my house how the Falcons can't really lose now. they are up 4 scores...and the Pats will be lucky to get 4 more possessions. The Falcons SHOULD have Cowher balled. Heck they would have probably won the game had they just taken a knee 3 straight times and punted the last 23 minutes of the game.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Still the Steelers choke for me... the pats were at least a good team... :puking 3:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    The Chargers were in the AFC Championship game...and went to the Super Bowl...seems weird to imply they were not a good team.

Going into Super Bowl....teams up by 25 or more points were 4-1057......Thats 4 WINS...and 1057 losses.......Thats because you take the air out of the ball...drain the clock....and make the other team have to go the length of the field every time.

The falcons are up 25 points with 23 minutes left in the game....and ran the ball 5 times the rest of the game.

HACK

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know if it's Matt Ryan or Shanahan, but it seems like the Falcon's don't like to put it up and give Julio a chance to come down with it. When you have a guy that is that dominant, you sometimes have to just put it up and let him be great, even if he is being doubled. They don't do that a lot.

They should have went to Julio more in the second half. You need to trust your best players and if they can't get it done, so be it, but you at least give them a chance. They really didn't have a good game plan. NE gave them the game early and Atlanta didn't do enough. With 2 turnovers, a defensive score and a failed onside kick, that offence should have had more than 28 points

17. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    28 should of been enough....up 25 points with 23 minutes of football to play.....tick tick tick...you work the clock....ATL ran it 5 times the rest of the way. Simply unacceptable.

HACK

18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, for most of the 3rd and 4th quarter I would agree with you, BUT, had Cowher had the ball at the 25 with 2nd down a couple, he would have run the ball twice and taken the game clinching FG. Atlanta instead drops back to pass, gets sacked, then takes the hold. Those 2 plays basically ended their chances IMO.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol pats just laughing with their 5th. No matter what anyone says or does they now have 5. Just too funny.

Not to be mean but hope Brady loses his arm, or leg, or both.

Hope he gets sick but not trying to be mean.

Ok hope him and bill end up retiring together and making sweet love by the ocean side. There, happier ending

20. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I hate Brady...but our 34 yr old QB hints at retirement after an AFC Championship loss...and their 39 yr old QB with 5 rings when asked about retirement says "Hell NO" He may play another 3-5 years. Pats might not be done.....May end up with 7 rings just with Brady before its all done. I don't see anyone but the Steelers as being able to stop them in the AFC right now....and unless Pitt changes things up...that is a 70/30 at best.

HACK

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I disagree with the premise of this thread. Cowher ball would have WON this game. He would have ground out the clock. Yes, boring, conservative, playing it safe. But he would have smothered any chance NE had to crawl back into it. A Cowher led team does NOT give up a 25 point lead with a quarter and a half left to play. Period.

Now, you could argue that a Cowher led team wouldn't have been up by 25 in the first place, but that's a different argument. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Brady is old and their playing style has been hiding it for years. That said, Brady is like Neo seeing the Matrix, he knows how to counter anything you try to do against him.

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Wrong. Raiders can stop them, if they draft good (RB) and make some good FA pickups. Raiders are much better than the Steelers IF they have Carr at QB.

Here's my AFC Rankings for '17

1. Patriots
    2. Raiders
    3. Broncos
    4. Texans
    5. Ravens
    6. Chiefs
    7. Steelers

Broncos are built to win now. Texans defense will be insane with JJ Watt and Clowney. Ravens will be the Ravens and beat the Steelers at least once.... if not sweep them entirely. Chiefs are a QB away from being excellent. Steelers are on the outside looking in.

24. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    First of all...not wrong..these are all opinions....second you are out of your mind...Broncos and Texans have a hole at the most important position on the field...Raiders might need to win 1 playoff game before you....if I may quote Denny Green "Crown their assess" Ravens? You lost all credibility with them at 5....Chiefs...Ill give you that one....but Steelers were top 4 in the league...and you have them at 7 behind teams that did not even make the playoffs?

AFC North next year should be Pitt, Bengals, Ravens, Browns......Ravens are in trouble IMO.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    How so?

And the Raiders (with their QB) racked up a lot of quality wins in the regular season and didn't lose miserably to scrub teams like the Steelers did to the Dolphins and Eagles.