1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcons question Steelers game plan vs. Tom Brady, Patriots

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jan 31, 2017.

1. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    I'll say this over and over and over. The Steelers not getting a Lombardi is not because of the players, its because of the coaching staff. We have a MUCH better roster than New England

Article:

"The Falcons' defense won't be running zone defense against the Patriots in Super Bowl LI."

LINK: http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Falcons-question-Steelers-game-plan-vs-Tom-Brady-Patriots-50958624?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170131_103207_Pittsburgh Steelers Newsletter&utm_content=Image

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    "We just have to do a good job tackling after the catch," Cockrell said, per Steelers.com. "That's what we prided ourselves on doing all year, and we didn't do that today. (We could have) knocked some of those passes down, that would have stopped some of that hurry up. But unfortunately, that's what we didn't do today as a defensive backs unit, and that was a big difference in the game."

--Ross Cockrell

I've got news for Ross, tackling after the catch was not the primary issue. It's hard to tackle after the catch and knock passes down when the receiver is 15 yards open! We did not have A SINGLE DEFENDED PASS IN THE ENTIRE GAME! There is no doubt our players got outplayed, but our coaching staff absolutely got its collective rear end handed to it on a silver platter. They had EXACTLY the wrong gameplan, especially defensively, did not make adequate adjustments, and DID NOT put our team in the best position to win the football game!

More than anything else, this was an abysmal coaching failure!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I question our game plan against the Pats too! I think everyone does!

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Falcons only chance to slow down Brady is to get to him like they did Rogers. Otherwise he is going to feast on that secondary, they have the 28th ranked pass defense in the league.

The difference between us and Atlanta is that they have their offense intact whereas we did not. Atlanta is going to put up points on NE.

Had we played man, it would have been the same outcome, it was a collective failure, but you're not beating NE putting up 16 points.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Falcons just need to run up the score and keep hitting brady regardless if it's dirty. Pats fans reading this, yeah im a dbag so what.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah Falcons can win if they score on 90% of their drives. They have the offense to do it to.

7. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It's no surprise that Atlanta or any other team would question that game plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Getting seriously tired of this idea that the game came down to a zone/man choice.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    It won't matter what you say Atlanta..... The cheatriots will already have some illegal practice film on you by game day.

10. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Atlanta Falcons apparently won't employ a zone defense when they take on the Patriots this Sunday in Super Bowl LI.

On Monday night, Atlanta cornerback Jalen Collins admitted that he wasn't sure why Pittsburgh ran a zone defense against Tom Brady in the AFC Championship Game, as Brady riddled the Steelers defense for 384 yards and three touchdowns.

“I don’t know why they did that,” Collins told DKPittsburghSports.com. “I guess they had a pretty good reason to.”

THE FALCONS GET IT, BUT APPARENTLY WE DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. nycfan

nycfan Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Just posting to compliment your sig line. That's a great quote from Noll.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nycfan

nycfan Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Jets fan here. New to the Board. Came here out of curiosity and to tell you that you don't know how good you have it after the CG and also since there's nothing to talk about in our Forum, except bitching about Bowles and the small matter that we don't have a Quarterback. No Coach. No QB. No Problem. :rolleyes: But, I digress.

We've had a lot of Patriots Fan Visitors to our board. The ones that aren't total douches would agree with your statement. Because that's how'd they'd play against themselves if they had to face Brady.

The way the Patriots beat Atlanta is the same way they beat the Rams 14 years ago: hit them in the mouth from the first play. Atlanta is a classic front-runner. Put them behind or knock them around and they'll fold like a cheap suit. Look at how the Falcons won their last four Regular Season games. In three of the four, they went up by 20 points before the other team was in the game. The one that was a "game" was v. Drew Brees, who kept the Saints in it. Then they crushed Seattle. Green Bay was out of steam by the time they got to Atlanta and had no fight left, but they might have been able to beat them if they hadn't had to win every game since God knows when just to get in the Playoffs and then go into Dallas and Atlanta on successive weekends. No more gas in the tank.

New England is rested, tough and well-coached (tell me about it). They have effing Tom Brady. If they get up by two scores on Sunday, they won't let the Falcons back in it and the collars will get tight on the Atlanta sideline.

If I'm Atlanta, I want to get ahead and hit Brady...even take a couple of flags.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hmmmm and I thought I was the only internet Steeler's Fan that questioned that scheme. Guess not...Fail.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Honestly I just think Atlanta reads our board and that's why they are saying that. It's literally the only possible explanation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

We actually did play some man and got burned evertime

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The most frustrating thing is that our game plan, or lack thereof, is the same way we have lost to them many times over. I have no idea what the heck Tomlin was thinking trying to play zone against the best zone QB the league has ever seen.

Just when I started to have more confidence in MT lately and now this is what I have to have hang over my head all off season.:frustrated:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Because he's actually better against man because of how good he is at reading defenses.

NE's defense is designed to beat man coverage. We need another cover corner so we can mix up coverages but be effective unlike last game.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Falcons have a young fast defense, they can probably matchup in man coverage with the Patriots. The Falcons will blitz their secondary guys to get after Brady, unlike the Steelers.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What we really need are ways to pressure Brady with 4 rushers. Hargrave did well upon occasion (loved the sniffed out screen pass), but we were otherwise very ineffective. Man or zone doesn't matter if you let him stand in the pocket comfortably.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe we would have had AT LEAST one pass defended had we gone man to man. Don't get me wrong, we still would have lost the game, but I believe that was one of the worst defensive performances, particularly secondary performances, I have EVER witnessed! We LITERALLY DID NOT HAVE ONE DEFENDED PASS THE ENTIRE GAME and the lacrosse players masquerading as receivers seemed to always be college open! Shoot, they were Jerry Rice against a high school defense open! There is no way in hades that it would have been worse if we'd played man to man. When you consider the fact that Brady has ALWAYS torched our zone coverages and the only time we've ever had any semblance of success against him we've played man to man, it's easy to understand why everyone is questioning our defensive strategy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    As has been said several times in various threads they did play man and got burned badly each time. I dont know if you guys aren't reading those or just dont believe it.

They only guy we have capable of man is Burns and he's a rookie, think he is ready to take on Brady?

We played a much tighter game against them earlier in the year using zone. We just flat out stunk the last game.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agreed we stunk in so many ways, another one was when ,we kept dropping Harrison and Dupree in pass coverage repeatedly, also on blitzing they kept running Shazier and Timmons up the middle repeatedly and the Pats were waiting for them. Again what's frustrating, we are very poor at in-game adjustments and seem to do the same things over and over even when they don't work. The same could be said of trying to go deep to Coates with broken fingers. :facepalm:

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Wait...you all are saying we had a game plan against New England? This changes everything!

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Well honestly, New England put up points against one of the better statistical defenses in Houston the week before. Our defense was supposed to be a strong offense to keep them off the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    What happened was BB knew we would use zone again, so he just beat the hell out of it this time, Logan ran free down the field all night because our DBs were confused, our best chance was to practice playing man all week and staying in it for this game, the falcons know how to man up and they proved it in their last 5 wins, giving up only 19 points or less in 4 of their last 5 wins, and holding the hawks to 20 points and the packers to 21 points in the playoffs, no, belichick used our zone against us this time........