1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fake Trade II

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fugitive60, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Conditional draft pick for Brock Osweiler. DeShone Kizer named the starter; Osweiler won't play this week fueling rumors the Browns will put him on the trading block. Landry Jones' abdominal injury may prevent him being ready for the start of the season. Josh Dobbs not ready for back up duties; ditto Bart Houston.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If LJ is not ready, then I would want to see us make a move. I'm not giving up on Dobbs for the long run, but he is a long way from seeing an NFL field.

If it's Osweiler, the Browns would have to agree to eat most of his guaranteed salary. I'm not an Osweiler fan at all. However, there aren't many viable options out there.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would rather have Landry Jones than Osweiler. He is terrible.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you trade for himself aren't you on the cuff for his $16 mill salary and the cap implications therein?

5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2017-8-23_18-19-18.jpeg

NO

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I've come to the conclusion that if Ben goes down so does our season. The drop off to our back ups is as wide as the Pacific ocean. The other options out there might make it closer to the Atlantic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben's value will never be fully realized until after he decides to hang up the cleats. I remember the post Bradshaw days and they weren't pretty. I hope the Steelers do a better job of preparing for life after Ben than they did for life after Bradshaw.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The money should go towards Tuitt. I know its a fake trade and the premise is "would you go thru with it" or something like that, but I would explore some other options. I liked him as a backup in Denver but the head-butting with the Denver FO is problematic and the same was said to continue with HC Bradley in Houston. Bad advice from his agent?? Probably but who knows... On the football field, his Houston resume left some to be desired. I think its going to be status quo for the backups until next year.

9. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Osweiler has played, and started, enough games for us to know that he has plateaued. I wouldn't want to give anything up for him. Personally don't think he's any better than Landry.

10. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Basically my biggest fear for our team summed up ^^^ :beg:

AND, let's take a moment to acknowledge how epic JackAttack 5958's picture is :herewego::dfense:

• Like Like x 1
  11. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Also, I'd pass on Osweiler...too much money. I'd like to see Landry Jones do well but I'm just not that confident when he's under center. However, I don't think Landry has had a healthy group of first string starters surrounding him in recent game action. So it will be interesting to see a 5th year Landry Jones play with a healthy Bell, Brown, Bryant, and company
    (fyi I did not get to watch much of Landry's playing time last year)

Dobbs... I really don't have the knowledge to comment.

12. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Assumptions in the fake trade:

1. Landry's injury is serious enough to force a move. He's certainly missed a lot more time than I expected. He's not going to play this week.

2. The Steelers don't think Dobbs or Houston are ready to handle back up duties. Probably a pretty safe bet.

3. The Browns would pay the majority of Osweiler's salary. That is the only way any team would trade for him.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Inner division trades are tough, it would have to come out in our favor since Cleveland is seeking the trade. Throw in DL Xavier Cooper (who I wanted in the draft) and I'd probably do it.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would rather trade for blaine gabbert wait for the cuts and if arians keeps him as a 3 a 6 pick would probably get him here, he is having a good pre season worthy of a backup role, the only reason he wont be the cards backup is because stanton is arians boy....

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Here's a fake trade thought. Reggie Ragland from Buffalo who may be miscast in their new 4-3 for Sammie Coates. They seem to be wanting a change at WR.

16. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    IMO, I think Dobbs can handle the backup position even if Jones isn't ready by Week 1. Do you think Ben will get hurt early into the season? The O-line needs to understand the situation, so they need to play well to keep Ben up and healthy.

Even if Dobbs isn't ready, Jones should be fully healed by then. Just imagine Dobbs being in this position. He can learn from Ben as a backup and may even fill in during a game if it's a blowout win or if Ben gets hurt.

Honestly, the best way to grow in this league is to be a backup and learn from the veterans. Filling in when needed is also important as well, no matter if they're ready or not.

Trust issues with signing another backup QB rather than letting Dobbs be a backup?

If I was Cleveland, then I'd keep Osweiler and Kizer. I'd either cut Kessler or Hogan. I would also put one of them on the practice squad. Osweiler should stay in Cleveland because of his age and experience. Even if Brock seems to be the odd one out in Cleveland, drafting Kizer might've been a good move or another QB mistake for Cleveland, but we'll just have to wait and see. Brock is the oldest QB on their roster at 26. He has more experience between Kessler, Hogan, and Kizer combined. I'd rather have a QB on my team with experience rather than a depth chart of all young QB's.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A quote from Ragland "I'm not where I'm at, but there's a reason I'm not where I'm at..." :shrug:

Anyway, good thing we wouldn't be bringing him in to help Dobbs design jet engines. The rumor that I saw this AM is Ragland to Indy for Dorsett. The Bills would probably do that before trading for Coates, but you're idea is intriguing.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Osweilers base contract this year pays him 16 M, thats high dollar for a bench warmer backup, unless the browns cut him they have to eat his big 2017 contract....

19. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Apparently Jones is making progress and should play. Back up QB situation will be status quo.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Well, he ended up being traded to the Chiefs for a 4th round pick.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    For a 4th rounder in 2019, no less. It looks to me that Raglands knee is not coming around.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe we can get marino now. he lost 20 lbs. on that diet ya know. :cool: