1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fair Officiating Monday Night?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HawkeyeJames, Dec 13, 2011.

1. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How bad will the officiating be Monday night? I think the only way it is even remotely fair is if Baltimore wins Sunday afternoon. If Baltimore loses I bet we end up playing against SF, without Harrison, and against the Zebras.

I don't ever expect it to be fair but it would be nice to have holding called against the oppositions offense once in a while...

:herewego!:

2. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
  3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why would it be any different than is has been?

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tough to say. I hope the team comes out like mad dogs against the 9ers and play lights out. This team needs something to rally around for sure.

I feel like they sort of lost their identity a bit also. I don't think they are feared on any level anymore. Maybe this wakes them up emotionally and they come out like bullies.

5. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm thinking we have history with Walt Coleman, who is doing our game Monday. Anybody remember?

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe all you guys who think the league and the Zebras are out to get the Steelers can answer me this?

The Steelers are 17th in number of penalties and 16th in Penalty Yards. Wouldn't the devious, Steeler-hating, NFL front office have them at least in the top 10?

7. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It's just as much about the ones they don't call as it is the ones they do call. Are there any stats regarding penalty differential on a game by game basis?

As for the ones they do call, it's when they call them.

Just sayin'... :hmmm:

8. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    My thoughts exactly.

9. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Looks like he may be on our side. From wiki

2008 Steelers v. Ravens game

Coleman was involved in another controversial replay call near the end of regulation during a late regular season game on December 14, 2008 between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore,[15] a game in which the Steelers needed a win to clinch the AFC North title.[16] With the Ravens leading 9–6 with less than 50 seconds left to play in the fourth quarter, Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes caught a 3-yard pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and was ruled down just shy of the goal line. But after reviewing the play, Coleman overturned the call, saying that Holmes caught the pass with his feet in the end zone, and therefore scored what ultimately was the game-winning touchdown.[15] After the game, Coleman said to a pool reporter that the replay did in fact show that the ball barely broke the plane of the goal line – a fact he never mentioned on the field during the game.[15] Nevertheless, the replay reversal was criticized by the sports media, not only for the initial explanation, but also because they felt that there was never any conclusive evidence to support the replay reversal.[15][17] However, Mike Pereira, the NFL's Supervisor of Officials, would later discuss the play on his weekly "Official Review" segment on NFL Network's NFL Total Access and show that there was indeed indisputable visual evidence that the ball did break the plane of the goal line when Holmes had control of the ball with both of his feet down.[18]

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    we probably will be in the top 10 after monday if balt loses

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We are one of the top franchises in NFL history, there's simply no way the league wants us to lose or has it out for us in any way. I watch a lot of football other than the Steelers games, and the officiating is horribly inconsistent league wide, not just during Steelers games. Over the years some bad calls have hurt us, but we've also benefited from bad calls. It goes both ways. The Roonies carry a lot of weight around the NFL and the Steelers franchise is highly respected league wide. They do not have it out for us.

12. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: ...But some of the calls we DO NOT get. Just one for example 7 gets hit in the face comes off field with his nose on his cheek. No flag. How do you not see that?

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I agree, but it's not because he's a Steeler, it's due to how he plays the position. Josh Freeman and Michael Vick never get calls either. In fact, neither does Cam Newton, although I haven't seen a ton of him yet. It's the way they play the position, for some reason, the officials never give them the benefit of the doubt the way they do the true pocket passers.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's what you don't call sometimes that changes outcomes of games.

Think back to the Baltimore game, clear catch but somehow overturned on a challenge. defenseless receiver penalties called in Pitt, but none on Balt. Pass interference penalties on Pitt on key plays, but none on Balt.

That stuff adds up in a game and changes the way you have to play the game.

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree 100% especially last sentance....BUT how do you not see a hand to the face hard enough to break a nose? Goes back to terrible officials!!!

16. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not a fan of the officiating by any means (my family and friends can testify to that lol), but I will say I think part of the reason the officiating has become so noticeably poor across the league has to do with all the ridiculous rule changes His Worshipfulness has put in place. All these new complex changes make it even more challenging to call an accurate game.

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's just ridiculous. Bad calls and non-calls aren't any worse for the Steelers than they are any other team in the league. If Steeler fans were to watch and scrutinize games with other teams as closely as they do Steeler games they'd see this. All this crap about the NFL / officials out to get the Steelers is nonsense.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is when a young guy for us shines.Im hoping its a db and a lber.Does anyone remember how harrison came on the scene?

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    The first Harrison memory I have is during a blowout of the Ravens when he was seemingly on every play and was laying some huge hits on some stinking rats players.

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Paranoia at it's finest. People should save themselves some grief and stop watching football if they believe there is a bias against the Steelers. It's really annoying when Steelers fans come across like Seahawks fans.

The refs and league won't get every call or decision correct. They are people and are entitled to make mistakes. People need to stop with this nonsense.

21. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The idea that the officials consciously favor one team or another is simply not credible. The fan sees something on tv and leaps to conclusions.

The average fan has no clue as to the rules on holding or PI and most always get their observations wrong.

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd agree with this if Seahawk fans came across like this.

To Steeler fans and a select other few who may dislike the seahawks, yes they do come across like this.

There is a sizable amount of people who still think the Seahawks got robbed. That there was no Offensive PI in the endzone in front of the ref. This is from many fans of other teams I meet. I always get they got away with one in the Superbowl against the Seahawks.

That opinion is why I think so many focus on just the steelers for these "illegal" hits.

The prevailing opinion is that the team was handed a Superbowl win, now they have to pay.

There are a lot of non-calls every week that effect the outcomes of games. Not just on the Steelers.

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Amen. Guess what folks? There are threads like this on all 32 NFL teams MB's. There are fans of every team who think the refs and the league are out to get their team and everyone else gets cut slack. So, get back in the basement and put your tin foil hats on.

24. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

:roflmao:

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If this were true then the Penalties on the Opponents would be less for the Steelers than they would for other teams. Right? Well, the Steelers are 20th in the League in Penalties against. A little below the average. But not dramatically so. The difference between 20th and 16th (middle of thel league)? A grand total of 3 penalties, over the entire season. In other words, one penalty a month.

But, of course, you'll all tell me, it ain't the number, its when they call penalties, (or in this case, when they don't).

Funny thing about conspiracy theories, the conspiracies are so clear and and so obvious, but evidence for them doesn't show up at all in any of the game statistics.