1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jul 30, 2019.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I expect them to compete for the division title right down to the last week of the season with the Browns and win it. Beyond that my expectations are not that great unless they are extremely healthy. I also expect, but more so hope that Boswell erases last season from his memory bank and performs as expected.

10-6 wins this division. If the team can't do that then MT is as good as gone and I think he is already aware of that. JMHO.

2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I remember in 2004 the Steelers had the toughest schedule in the league, coming off a 6-10 record. In 2003 they were supposed to become this wide open offense with Amos Zeroue as the feature back - Alvin Kamara - before Alvin Kamara was. Cowher was determined to get back to Steelers football: defense and ball control. Baltimore whips up on them the first game; hurts Maddox; and the Ben Roethlisberger era began. Steelers go on to a 15-1 record. The team was focused on playing sound, fundamental football. If they can achieve sound, fundamental football, I say 12-4. If they beat themselves like last year, Mr. Mustard's 7-9 record is probable.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will stay with my original guess of 10-6. Will that be good enough?

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Starting out 1-2 and ending up 12-4.

That’s if we don’t blow any games doing something stupid, which we seem to do.

I’m basing this on optimism, I’m the Yang to Heinz's Yin. (Something there doesn’t sound right?)

We should have improved defensive play from Edmonds and Bush. Offense just needs to make up for the loss production of AB, which I think a balanced offense “can” do. And James needs to stay healthy.

I for one didn’t think the circus was as bad as people made it out to be, but I expect it to be gone this year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The two games against the Bengals are for sure games :hehehe:

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

There are no "for sure games" with a MT game planning strategy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    On paper, this team is a 10-12 win team. It depends which act is performing in the three ring circus at key moments. Rooney, Colbert, or Tomlin.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Interesting! I agree with everything you said except I can't understand how "any" Steeler fan could not want to beat the ever loving **** out of Rooney!

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Numbers are a joke when at the most crucial times the play is given up. This defense needs to become the playmakers at the most crucial times. Shutting the door on 3rd down. Becoming the force that we haven't seen in years. Creating turnovers. The fear factor. If this happens the sky is the limit. Its the coaching that concerns me. The playcalling.

If they can press through and be a force. 12-4, 11-5. If...

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I see 10 or 11 wins. That should win the division, but probably not a 1st round bye. They probably win WC game at home. But then go to KC or NE and lose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :facepalm: Is what you should be doing to Rooney!

Or maybe your reaction should be this?;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bengals could win the division. Seriously. They've came out of nowhere several times before and they damn sure could do it again. Bengals usually have an easier overall schedule than Steelers and Ravens.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True, but when they’ve done it before they’ve had better players and handier depth. Injuries have destroyed their last few seasons and made them look worse than they are, but I don’t think they’ve done enough to address their weak spots for this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    last year everything that could go wrong kinda did. That can't seriously happen again could it? lol

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    They got rid of their weakest link....Marvin Lewis.

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    4 constants in the Universe.
    Death
    Taxes
    The Browns will totally suck
    The Bengals will have a ton of injuries

This is the year that the Browns wont totally suck, so maybe the Bengals can change things too. If they stay healthy, I think that it's between them and the Steelers for the division. However, AJ Green is already injured and will miss significant time.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Don't be surprised if the Browns go right back to the ****ter where they belong, and I wonder how long it will take the Bengals to recover from the coaching/philosophy changes?

19. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I expect them to finish 8-8, anything better is gravy (which Im hoping will be served nice and thick).

There's A LOT of truth to the statement that you cannot lose AB and Bell and not expect some drop off in production. That's what the talking heads in the media and everyone else is saying. But Im really optimistic that losing AB is addition by subtraction. Thats how cancerous that character is. I really do like how the team has responded to the whole situation and am really optimistic that they can win 11-12 games. However, there is a part of me that can't get the thought out of my head that Im just a Homer, so I've put my expectations squarely on .500.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I know, they've been optimistic before, but Mayfield is pretty good. I really need to see one more year though. They thought that Derek Anderson was the answer several years ago. History says that Mayfield will eventually fail, but Cleveland has been so bad for so long, the cycle HAS to end at some point, right? I mean, even a broken clock is right twice a day....

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Losing AB and LB is a huge drop in talent but also a huge boost to team chemistry. The problem is that the leaders of this organization, Rooney, Colbert, and Tomlin, are the people who created the ****-show in the first place. Spoiled brats don't thrive in a disciplined environment; time will tell if they have changed their style.

If the lack of discipline is addressed I think this team could compete for it all, if not, go Penguins!

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    They thought every #1 draft pick they made in the last 15 years was answer because they don't have a clue what it takes to compete in the NFL.

On the potentially negative side:
    1. The worst owner in football, maybe professional sports!
    2. No proven experience at GM!
    3. Zero head coaching experience!
    4. Zero leadership!
    5. A 50+ year culture of ineptitude!
    6. A sophomore QB!
    7. A fanbase and media who "expect" to win it all and will go ballistic the first time they have a bad game.
    On the potentially positive side:
    1. A little on field talent.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    8. Massively questionable offensive line to protect Mayfield
    9. Inexperienced and unproven secondary
    10. Marquee receiver with injury and attitude issues

Not saying the Steelers or any other team is perfect but I don’t really see where all this browns hype is coming from. Their season was over when they started playing last year and I don’t actually think they beat any .500 + teams along they way. They have talent but if talent alone won SuperBowls the Steelers would have won one during the Killer B era, that was a much better team than the current Browns too.

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am still of the mindset that we have had the talent to do what New England has done over the past several year but didn't due to the 6 P'a. The coaching staff has actually gotten worse with Munch leaving and therefore I do not expect any changes to how we play against beatable teams or West Coast games. Maybe the coaches will surprise all by not holding out our HOF QB for some stupid reason or game plan against opposition players not in uniform. Who knows. My guess is we will fall somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    That's Tim Couch with Mayfield. This is the kiss of death.

[​IMG]