1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectation for Pickens in 2024

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    This is the most optimistic that I saw by a credible analyst!

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    "I just don't see how the Steelers team this year looks much different than the Broncos team did last year," he said. "I don't think the Steelers win more than six games this year, if they win seven I'd be shocked."

One of Benkert's biggest reasons for this prediction was the Steelers' schedule. He stated frequently that he couldn't find seven winnable games on their schedule and was especially worried about their final weeks of the season.

"There's just no way they break .500 for the first time in Mike Tomlin's career," Benkert stated.

Well this guy sure doesn't think much of Wilson to Pickens. This was from a Podcast my Steeler hating pal was kind enough to send me.

This Steeler team is not last years Broncos team.

Of those 5 guys listed who has the better QB and in the best system?? Pickens won't stand a chance since our run game will be dominating.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I can see him putting up AB numbers, or something reasonably close, but breaking the single season yds mark in a run first offense is seriously stretching the realm of possibility

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I mean.. that's quite an ambitious prediction. Pickens still has to prove whether he's closer to being AB or closer to being Mike Wallace. He's going to command a lot of attention in the secondary with Johnson gone and no real replacement brought in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I would bet that a lot of that comes from Pickens being wr1 on a team that is weak in the wide receiving core. It should point to a lot of the passes going to him. Couple that with Wilson's stats last season which were pretty good, and you should see Pickens having a huge year.

I do think that it disregards the run game though and I think it is going to be huge this year. I don't think Wilson will have as big of a year this year as last because of that run game. They really seem to be setting our run game up to be a much bigger part of our game than it has been over the last few years.

I bet that Pickens does have a huge year if he matures a bit more, but without a stronger wr core, if Pickens does too well, he is just going to get doubled. And that will keep him from any records.

• Like Like x 2
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see it they will probably run the ball more than they pass, and with the Steelers not having a legit #2 WR Pickens will see more double coverage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This

8. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    We better hope Pickens doesn’t get naked like AB after the 3 game of the season and walk off the field.
    He will be double teamed big time unless we have a #2 standout. Plus we are talking Arthur Smith offense that utilizes TE use way more than wrs.
    Pickens maturity level is going to be tested this season big time.

9. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    So what will happen to Pickens if we actually do the Aiyuk trade? Help him or hurt him?

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    JMO, but a real OC....no matter what his system should be able to adjust for the weapons He has....not the other way .

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

HELP!!!!!!

would be insanely WILD!!!!!

12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I'd say Pickens is somewhere in-between those guys. He's not a sure route runner like AB, and he's not really a burner like Wallace either. Pickens has shown some flashes of brilliance no doubt, I just hope he can do it more consistently this season

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    1,400 yards or thereabouts would be a great season for Pickens. If he achieves that and matures a bit I think most fans will be happy.

He won’t get the kind of volume needed in this offence to break any records and even if he does teams will take him out of the game as others have said. It’s ‘hot take’ season because it’s the dead period in the NFL calendar. I doubt even Brooks believes that prediction

• Like Like x 1
  14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

In the short term, it will be amazing for him..
    In the long term, it will hurt the team financially.... Aiyuk will cost big time, and when it's Pickens turn to get paid, you know he'll want more

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    it definitely would be interesting. Don't think it will happen, but then again I never bet against Omar. lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    this. Honestly if it were to happen, the best hope would be to catch a trophy, then trade Pickens at the start of FA. Get the draft pick back and let someone else pay. No way you can pay both AND try to retain a QB they need.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It would help him having a legit #2 WR, he would see less double coverage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    What a ridiculous notion. Gotta love the offseason. The author might as well of predicted George Pickens to be the first NFL receiver to participate in a manned space mission to the moon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It's both frustrating and interesting. I have seen different reports out of the OTA's (understand there are no pads) that have said several guys look legit, others have said they look like their career stats...4 and 5 receivers. All of it is really a gamble, some have said Muth looks like he is going to shine in Smith's O, if so that gives the QB a greater viability in options, and makes the 2 WR with speed more of a threat. No doubt some of those guys have exceptional speed, there is not any real career stats to make one feel confident. If may work, but until it does it is only something written on paper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I've learned over the years that reports from camp are 100% worthless.. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "so and so" looks amazing in camp, is going to breakout, etc.. and then proceeds to completely disappear once the season starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    How can anyone have any serious expectations for a 3rd year WR working in a brand new offense with his 4th QB throwing him passes?

GP is an uber-athletic, elite skilled WR. I think he will find his spots to be productive within Smith's offense. I have no idea how many catches, yards, etc...

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He scares me. Unless he has made great strides in maturing.

23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pickens doesn't belong on that list yet anyways. He has to show he can be the #1 man.

This is a huge opportunity for him. Pay day comes after. He knows it. I expect big things.

But this guy has diva vibes all over him.