1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Excluding Belichick and Reid, which CURRENT NFL head coaches are better than Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Feb 20, 2023.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Excluding Belichick and Reid, which CURRENT NFL head coaches in your opinion are better than Mike Tomlin?

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    SMH

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Kyle Shanahan for sure

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe if he won a Super Bowl :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The super bowl of Tomlin was 14 years ago.If I would start a team today,I would take Shanahan over Tomlin.It don't mean that Tomlin is bad but I prefer Shanahan who make 1 super bowl apparence and a another NFC title game with Jimmy G and a another NFC title game with a 7th round rookie QB and all this in the last 4 years.Matt Ryan also won the MVP when Shanahan was his OC in Atlanta

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Shanahan also was the OC that choked away a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl, I think they had a 3rd or 4th and 1 and decided to pass, and Matt Ryan fumbled that led to New England comeback. The 49ers also had a double digit lead in the 4th quarter against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would actually take Shanahan over Andy Reid....imagine Him with Pat Mahomes.
    So like I said before....OP.....I believe Tomlin is a top 5 HC in the NFL. Why ??? Because I can't name any coaches over 4 of them.... that are currently in the NFL....that I would take over Him.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Blame that on their HC.
    Actually every Qb that has been under Shanahan from RG3 to Mister irrelevant.....has had their best years under Him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The HC didn't call the play that led to the fumble, the OC did, if they were leading it didn't make any sense to call a pass play in that situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    All coaches with teams that made the playoffs this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Can any other coach speak the way Tomlin does?

1. Tomlin
    2-32 who cares

• Like Like x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlins done a very good job as a HC with what he's had to work with lately and I'm not a huge fan. His biggest disappointments for me are his selection of assistants. There's about 26 teams right now that would take him in an instant as their HC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    If his defense would make a one more stop...Shanahan deserve some blame for that but Dan Quinn was the head coach.The head coach is responsible for clock management and game situation

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m pretty sure I could come up with more than 4, but definitely less than 10.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Name them....because I can't. I do this every year in My head, and I never can come up with more than 4 legitimately. I mean if I just want to count a HC one year stardom....then Yes, but not if I really look at the whole thing.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Kyle Shanahan, Nick Sirianni, Doug Pederson, Sean McDermott, Zac Taylor.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Darth Hoodie
    Reid
    Vrabel (I think he’s been stuck with crappy QBs)
    Shanahan
    Pederson
    Harbaugh (a very questionable decision to go all in on the LJ offense, but otherwise very solid)

Then there are the “too soon to tell” guys like Siriani, Zac Taylor, etc)

Last year I would have included McDermott, but that team choked big time this postseason. They came within a hair of losing at home to the Dolphins with a 3rd string QB, and then sucked massively vs Cinci. I could potentially include Peyton or Carroll, but probably not. Not including the Budweiser frog either, but they did have a nice postseason win. It would be nice if we’d do that again one of these days.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    EVERY DAMN SINGLE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! COME AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Four of those five coaches haven't won a Super Bowl. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    And then the I-85 bridge in Atlanta caught on fire and collapsed two months later with one of the best meme...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

hmmm - not 26

Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Bengals, KC, Dallas, Philly, NE, Jax, and Rams to start, would have NO INTEREST.

too much style over substance, Tomlin is middle of the pack , IMO.

22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    SDOT.
    no wait That's GM

half the posters here think they are

• Like Like x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I give You one of them. Shanahan. The rest are either flash in the pans , or haven't done anything yet. JMO

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See I don't agree, but that's cool.
    I do give You....
    Shanahan, Belichick, Carroll,maybe Harbaugh, and maybe Reid....I'm stuck on Reid because He has coached for 24 years as a HC, and just now Won SBs. Thanks to P. Mahomes.
    Harbaugh went with Lamar because He was about to lose His job, and had No choice, and in doing so caught most the league unaware, saved His job, but now He knows No more SBs with Lamar at the helm. So He's stuck for now.
    Pederson had one magical year....McDermott has really done nothing. You talk about squandering talent....McDermott is the man.
    JMO

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That's so subjective. Tomlin piled up the accomplishments in the first 5 seasons of his career (and he probably gets into the HoF for it), but since the Tebow disaster he/we just haven't had the same postseason mojo. We had really great teams in the 2010's but really never got over the hump. Some of it is bad injury luck (I think we were without Bell twice and AB from the Burfict hit), but the losses to Bortles and the Jags and Mayfield and the Browns at home were definitely Tomlin disasters. Those are two bad QB's on not great teams that absolutely blew us out of the water in the first quarter because they were better coached and better prepared to win. No two ways about it.

Tomlin is just not a traditional coach in the league. A TOTAL players coach and not much else. The players LOVE playing for him, they would run through a brick wall for the man... That is an excellent trait to have. But he seems outmatched when other teams start adapting and we stay stuck in our "standard". He is a poor clock/timeout manager, can be questionable with some of the personnel decisions, a poor in-game adjustor, never wins a challenge, and in my opinion is a horrible in-game manager in terms of when to go for it and when not to (for some reason I end up yelling at the TV quite a bit for this every season). He has performed best with a cast of stud coordinators around him, but we haven't had that in some time.

The problem is that the new wave of talented young coaches are all great X's and O's minds either offensively or defensively. They all bring different systems and flavors to the table. Tomlin doesn't. At all. His style is a dying one, and he will be a proverbial "dinosaur" at his position in a half decade or less. However, he has had success with it, so it is hard to blame him for sticking with what works.

At the end of the day Coach Tomlin IS a good coach (even as someone who is more of a detractor), just not in the traditional way. He's a motivator and talent evaluator. Masterful. But really bad in almost all other areas. Personally, I think there is a fair number of coaches that have coached in Tomlin's career that could have performed as well or better than Tomlin with the cards he was dealt. He's still good, but I just don't think he's great. He had an opportunity to be great, but kinda squandered it. He has one last opportunity to be great. If he can take KFP and this team and build a SB winner, then he is objectively great. He tends to coach underdogs a LOT better than he does frontrunners, so maybe he has a shot.... But if we peter out and become somewhat irrelevant in the next few years, then he's just a good coach.

A good coach that was brought into a GREAT situation and capitalized while the iron was hot. That's who Tomlin is at the moment IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1