1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ex part-Steeler owner (David Tepper) till wealthiest owner in NFL

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Sep 10, 2020.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I know I posted a similar story a while back but nothing has changed since then. David Tepper of Pittsburgh, Peabody HS, Pitt and Carnegie Mellon Alum, is still the wealthiest owner in NFL (Carolina Panthers) by far. Too bad he couldn't acquire the Pirates (to keep in Pgh of course).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ands-at-no-2-well-behind-leagues-richest-man/

Earlier in his financial investment career he was passed over several times by Goldman Sachs to become a partner. The passage below shows his drive and sense of retribution that probably many of us wish we had such means at times.

"He has characterized himself as “a regular upper-middle-class guy who happens to be a billionaire.” The Washington Post has described him as “a man who’s unpolished and proud of it, whose reputation as a candid and at times controversial voice has grown almost as fast as his net worth.” In New Jersey, he and his family lived in a modest stone house in Livingston, and his New York offices “resemble[d] a high-end sports bar—all polished mahogany and flat-screen TVs and black-and-gold Steelers paraphernalia—or a wealthy frat house.” He told an interviewer in 2010 that sometimes, “if someone is an *******, like a waiter at a restaurant, I think, I could just buy this place and fire that guy.” According to the Post, he “paid $43.5 million for the beachfront mansion of a former Goldman Sachs supervisor who had passed him over for promotion. Then he had the house demolished.” He then built a house nearly twice as big on the same property. He had bought the property from the ex-wife of his former boss.

Asked by a reporter about the origins of his strong confidence, Tepper said: “I was never afraid to go back to Pittsburgh and work in the steel mills.”

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Interesting story for certain. David Tepper definitley is not hesitant to strike the iron when it is hot for certain. It will be interesting to see if he has success. I doubt he is anything like Dan Synder.

..... That said, I doubt too many owners are like him.

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I wish he owned the Steelers. Yes I went there :smiley1:

He makes the Rooney's look like paupers.

But buying a beach house for spite and then building a bigger one. Even if that's a drop in the bucket for him financially, it comes off pretty douchey.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought the guy who owned the Seahawks was well and above
    the wealthiest owner in the NFL?

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'd like to see him buy Jerry Jones yacht just to sink it.:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member