1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

essex

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    like i've talked about before on here, essex has dropped alot of weight and has been working out hard this offseason like he said he was going to. steeler depot has a write up on him with a picture. he may be back they are saying. when in shape essex can be a good lineman. the guy can play 5 spots on the line. he's looking to start, but if not i think he could be the swing backup all across the line. very nice on gameday. it really hit home that he may be out of football last year when he was not first brought into camp. i for one am glad to see it. maybe jon scott will be let go and possibly legursky and essex signed soon. this would save some money and allow room for some draft picks.

gilbert
    c.scott
    pouncey
    colon
    foster
    j.scott
    legursky
    malecki
    turner
    this is what we have right now. :cool:

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Compared to most I've always liked Essex. While not a superstar or anything he is a very valuable player, especially since he can play ALL 5 positions, that alone is worth a spot on the team. I hope he does come back.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I like it, Mac. His versatility alone makes him a pretty valuable man on the roster.

Here's the picture you were talking about...he has it as his twitter avatar. Good to see he's working out and dropping the extra weight.

[​IMG]

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Good Luck to him, but I hope we upgrade enough where he is expendable.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup, I hope he comes back, too. It's guys like Essex that keep us competetive when our top dogs go down.

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Exactly.

Even if they draft 2 OL he still should be brought back I dont think he'd ever be expendable unless the Steelers somehow get 5-7 STUD linemen (which will never happen)...so until he gets up there in years and his age wears on him I think he should continue to be a part of this team. If they wanna get rid of something that is expendable and they can easily find an upgrade from thats J. Scott...he can only play 1 position somewhat good and thats it.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Let's be real, people. He cannot backup all 5 OL positions. He has played all 5, and has experience at all 5, and was even an LT in college.... but he cannot backup either OT position. Yes, he technically could in the way that my mom technically could. But he is not good enough to be a backup OT. In my opinion he is nothing better than an interior backup guy, like Legursky. And we already have Legursky, who is not good enough to start here either and should therefore remain the backup. We need a starting guard, and if we get one Essex doesn't have a spot here.

Of course, I'm only going off of what I've seen in the past. Maybe losing some weight will make him a Hall of Famer. But I doubt it. Let him compete, but don't let him keep that "all 5 positions" label. He doesn't deserve it any more than Legursky, who has never even been mentioned for OT.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    essex has shown in the past that if he drops some weight he can play pretty well. i believe it was 3 years ago, he was on the bubble of being cut because of his weight 4 years ago. then he came into camp about 20lbs. down and played so well they kept him. he looks the best i've seen him yet. i hope he stays hungry, but only for playing time. his weight drop should make him nimble enough tobe able to handle LT also. that we need right now. i'll root for him ,i know that. maybe the light has gone on for good. :cool:

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While hes not a stud OT or anything he has played at least at an average level when needed and such. I think he has shown and earned the all 5 positions label as it is true.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Strongly disagree.

11. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

I wonder if he likes working with Steven Tyler and Jlo more than Simon and Paula?

12. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

Haha. That comment made my night before I head off to bed.

13. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    3 more years unlit we get the other pouncey in the burgh!

14. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Haha, I was thinking he looked like the rapper Scarface myself, but good one.

I've never had a problem with Essex myself. He's never shown to be starting material but when asked to fill in he's always been decent, and as others have stated he can play multiple spots on the line. I'm pulling for him.