1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Essex signs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelMojo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  4. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm happy. He's not a stud by ANY means, but a somewhat versatile body. I'm kinda interested in seeing him this season after appearing to be in the best shape of his career. We just may need him this season if we have another injury prone season like last. Also glad to see we signed Cotchery too.
    :yeehaw: :towel: :herewego:

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Just throwing this out there: Essex is a backup at three positions only, not five. He can do LG, C, RG. If you watch him at OT last year you will see that he is sub-Jonathan Scott, who is sub-Steeler caliber. I don't imagine weight loss will change that.

6. COSteeler

COSteeler Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I don't like Essex. He's been a disappointment. Wasn't he a 3rd round pick? I think a fat, out of shape "versatile" O-lineman with talent would have made the Steelers roster last year. Essex didn't. I don't know what is keeping him from playing at a higher level; not enough talent, conditioning, determination. But I hope other O-linemen step up and Essex ultimately doesn't make the 53 man roster.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I give Kudos for him sticking around, I thought for sure he would be cut years ago. Cowher totally overdrafted him.

He is a capable back up, but both him and Legursk better not be the starting LG in week 1.

Steelers are throwing a lot of bodies at the position. We need Quality over quantity. Hopefully the draft provides that.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    oh ye of little faith. :cool:

9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I hope someone beats him out on the roster but he is good to have for an insurance policy.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Adequate vertan backup. I agree with Snack that he is only effective as a backup at the 3 interior positions, but he has the capability to play tackle on both sides in an emergency and not be nearly as bad as playing a pure G or TE out there, so there is added versatility there as well - you just don't want to go into a game with him as your 1st tackle off the bench. I haven't seen the numbers, but I like having him around as a backup.

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Todd haley is the biggest FA that the steelers will sign this season.But they are doing wellwith the rest.Sign wallace and that will be the big boost.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that was then about him playing tackle. dropping weight and adding speed will help him at the tackle spot. when he had to fill in, in his early years he was much better at tackle. if he comes in stronger and leaner, it could make a big difference in his play there. i think he is truely a 5 possition guy. he plays much better on the left side though. he always had trouble on the right. G or T. :cool:

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I can get on board with that. We've had some games with multiple injuries, but I don't think we've ever had to resort to putting a tight end or defensive lineman in there. We've always had 5 healthy OL at a time. Although I do remember one game where one of our OL came off injured and then was forced back into it with a minor injury, but I forget who it was. So I'll put Essex above guys like Matt Spaeth, but people should not be considering him a backup at OT any more than they think of Legursky that way.