1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN's QB Tier Ranking

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    50 Executives and coaches put together this list of QB tier rankings.
    They do this every year.
    They define Tier 1 as A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.
    Tier 2 is A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.
    Tier 3 is A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter, but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.
    Tier 4 is A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside, or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

Here is the List.

Tier 1
    Aaron Rodgers
    Tom Brady
    Brees
    Big Ben

Tier 2
    Matt Ryan
    Russel Wilson
    Stafford
    Rivers
    Wentz
    Luck
    Cam Newton
    Derek Carr
    Garrapalo
    Deshaun Watson

Tier 3
    Kirk Cousins
    Alex Smith
    Eli Manning
    Dak
    Goff
    Jameis Winston
    Mariota
    Andy Dalton
    Flacco
    Case Keenum
    Tyrod Taylor
    Bortles
    Tannehill
    Sam Bradford

Tier 4
    Trubisky
    Josh Mccown
    Mahomes
    AJ Mccarron

After going through the list there are some real questions from me.
    I love Ben but he is no longer the 4th best QB in the league. I believe he is now Tier 2
    Russel Wilson should be ahead of him. His supporting cast is horrendous, if he had Ben's weapons he would win MVP every year.
    Its funny how they already have Garrapalo and Watson in Tier 2. Maybe a little early? not saying they wont be but lets see how they do after a full season of teams game planning for them.
    Tannehill Should be Tier 4!!!
    Luck hasnt played a game in so long. Shouldn't we wait to see when he comes back if he is even the same player? Tier 3 right now.

I think only 2 players are Tier 1. Rodgers and Brady. Brees has a great supporting cast around him.
    Ive watched him very closely and he is not as good as he used to be. Its because he finally has a team around him.
    I would put it
    Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, then Ben. But only Brady and Rodgers in Tier 1 with Wilson just missing it.

Thoughts.?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...gs-best-worst-quarterbacks-voted-league-execs

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ben is ranked exactly where he should be IMHO. I agree that Watson and Garropolo should be tier 3 based off experience. Winston, Taylor, Tannehill, and Bortles could all drop to tier 4 as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    These rankings will change a lot after 2018. I think all this talk about Ben isn't as good as he once was is wrong. I think he is better, not worse. How many games have you re-watched of Ben's play in 2017?

I think Mahomes will jump to tier two after this season.

And, I can no longer stand Cam Newton, just saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Cam is in for a big year. DJ Moore is the real deal. I think Moore will be this years JuJu. Having Moore on the opposite side will make Funchess better. Wouldnt shock me at all if Cam puts up better passing numbers than he has in a while.

5. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Ben is still a good QB dont get me wrong. All im saying is taking into account the amount of weapons he has compared to a guy like Russel Wilson.
    If you put Russel Wilson on the Steelers what do you think will happen honestly?
    I believe they beat the Jags in the Playoffs. I know he doesnt throw 5 picks in the regular season as well.
    Ben is Top Five. But i believe he is no longer a QB that can Carry his Team every week.
    The definition of Tier one was a QB that can CARRY the team each week and they win BECAUSE of him. The Steelers have the best Set of Offensive weapons in the league, they are winning because of all of the them not just Ben. Ben doesnt have to CARRY the Team anymore.
    I think if you put Ben on Seattle he would not do nearly as well as Wilson has. I just believe he and Brees are no longer Tier 1. They have great weapons around them, Brees has a great offensive minded coach to help him as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I didn't see Mason Rudolph on that list.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben is a tier 2. The definition of Tier one says “carry his team each week”. That’s not Ben and never has been. He’s too inconsistent.

With Haley gone, he has no excuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This is one line of thinking that I will just never understand. Did Joe Montana have Jerry Rice, John Taylor, and Roger Craig? Did Peyton Manning have Edgerin James, Reggie Wayne, and Marvin Harrison? Every great quarterback has great players around him, because the great quarterback makes everyone around him better. Im so tired of Ben being disrespected in this way. Its like people are looking for new and exciting ways to discredit him. This seems to be the newest way to do it.

Do you think AB would be putting up the numbers he is putting up if Landry Jones was throwing him the ball? What if Josh Dobbs was the QB? You think Leveon is putting up the numbers he does if every team can stack the box, because there is no threat of a passing game? Ben is a killer. He makes everyone around him better. How good did Mike Wallace look when he went to Miami? He looked a little different with Tannehill throwing him the ball didnt he? With Ben we are Super Bowl contenders. Take Ben off this team and we go 7-9. Thats the difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I agree Ben as 4 but think he should top tier 2. He’s just too up and down to be with those top 3 who almost every single week are excellent

I think Wentz could jump to 3 after this season behind the big 2.

Also don’t get the love for a Russell Wilson. He’s a solid QB and playmaker but no where near the pure passer of even Ben.

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Rating Ben as aTop 4 QB in the league is plausible, but very generous. It's as high a rating as you could give him IMHO. Ben is very, very good. But he rarely if ever has a top 4 offense, his red zone numbers are not impressive, playoff performances the last half of his career have been nothing special.

I can understand the rating in a way. Ben is a physical presence, he's a competitor, he makes big plays. But the last 4 yrs he's had, supposedly, the top WR, the top RB, a top OL. Yet this hasn't been a top 4 Off in scoring or yds. And for a guy who has a reputation as a big game player, he ain't had very many big games. Top 6 to top 10, I'll buy. But I can't go much higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You put an average QB with all of Pgh's "weapons" with this D and they are 8-8. Sure, Wilson would do great with this team because he's also very good. But I feel Ben is a huge part of this team's success on O. He makes everyone better. He's the MVP on this team, period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Luck could carry a team before his injury.

13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Coulda woulda shoulda...it's been 2 years since he's done crap. Ben balled out in that same time period.

14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Ryan and Wilson should be moved up to tier 1.

15. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Makes me wonder why all the hype and big bucks for T3 Cousins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I'd take Big Ben over Russel Wilson any day of the week. Wilson has his legs, Ben has his mind and his arm.

Ben's starting to look like the tin man out there, but he's did put up 42 something points in 3 quarters against Jacksonville. He's a big play guy and has always had a competitive spirit and win mindset even coming out of college.

I think Ben is a Hall of Famer and will show it again this year.

I would put Brady and Rodgers ahead of him, but Ben is next on the list for me as the top three in the league. Brady is kind of a fantasy paradox never seen before and Rodgers is ridiculously good right now in the prime of his career.

Happy the guy is retiring a Steelers. Whoever steps up after is going to have big shoes to fill.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wilson and Ryan should be #1. Other than that, list looks accurate to me.

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ryan and Wilson should definitely be tier 1. I would have Ben at the very top of tier 2. His play is too inconsistent and although he wins games for us sometimes, he also loses games for us at times too. The first half of last year wasn't good at all. The second half was much better, but that is the definition of inconsistent.

I think at this point in their careers, Russell Wilson is the better QB. His TD and INT numbers are better and he's doing it without half the talent Ben has. Then you also need to account for the extra 500 yards that Wilson will put up on the ground. That helps the team tremendously. On top of that, he's much younger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Wilson has pretty good TD/INT ratio along with qb rating. Better than ben the past 3 years lol

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Flacco and E. Manning have 3 rings between them and are in tier 3. :icon e biggrin:

22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Montana won 2 rings and 2 SB mvps before rice was drafted. Peyton had the best single season in NFL history and went to 2 sbs without any of those guys from indy. I doubt any of those Denver receivers will be hall of famers.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    flacco was absurd in the 2012 playoffs, plus that Denver safety messed up and allowed them to come back lol.

manning had great defenses to counter brady.

we should all be friends of manning/flacco/foles because they slaughtered the pats when we cant.

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    And Ben went to 3 Super Bowls without Leveon Bell and AB. Sorry Manning had to suffer through playing with Demarius Thomas and Manny Sanders. Those guys suck.

25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah he did but during those times especially the first SB he wasn't thought of as the best player or the reason we won. It was the defense and lol he wasnt who he is now his numbers now far exceed those of back then. but ab was on that 3rd sb team that lost to gb. And they dont suckle none of them have had close to the success they did without him. Remember julius thomas? He was an elite TE that yr and we havent heard his name since.