1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN coverage of MNF

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 5, 2017.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    NFL Network is much better than ESPN these days.

2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Gruden was annoying last night, I take Collingworth any day over him.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Works both ways. Penalty that wiped out Bryant's kick return for a TD was weak.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Exactly. Would have added 7 to our score, but only 4 for the Bengals, as they ended up with a field goal.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yea. It seems as though the refs were making terrible calls and making up for them with terrible calls going the other way continuously throughout the coarse of the game. They need to move that crew to a 1 pm 49ers Vs. Browns game if they continue to be hired by the NFL. They should not be on a MNF stage ever again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    yea, that was very weak call, it would of been great for Bryants confidence if that play would of stood. The next penalty on Wilcox was pretty bad. For the life of me, I just dont get mature, seasoned players make the same mistakes over and over on special teams play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I use to like Gruden and since he has been in the booth has done a pretty good job. With that said last night was bad, the saying of wrong names with Gay and a few others. I think he even called Brown Bryant, and there were other ones as well. Then you throw in the slobfest they had with Burfict that was enough to make me sick. He/they were so one sided it wasn't funny and I never heard him like that before. He said something about the Tennessee job as well but I can't remember it.

This morning I was wondering why I didn't see a thread like this and thought maybe I just had a few too many. Glad I was not alone but wish it didn't have to be this way.

8. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I turned off the sound when it was 17-0. Good timing.

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    That's bad...... True but still bad

10. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hmmmm.... isn't that what they used to say about the steelers? :)

11. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ugh.... that's like saying you would prefer your sh*t sandwich on whole wheat instead of sourdough :puking 3:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Amazing that they went on and on about dirty hits and how it looks bad for the NFL’s image. If I stick my hand in the disposal it will hurt. So the question is... why do it? They put this game with all its history on Monday night BECAUSE of the hits and controversy. They put it there hype it up to get ratings. Do you want to watch the Chargers - Browns on to sell ads? No wait, the miners and giants. They know what they are getting with this match up and they like it. If it a huge issue, move cinci to the east and Buffalo to the north. Flip flop cinci and Indy. They don’t want that, they want the hits and exposure. People want a heavy weight bout and they get it everytime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My personal favorite was the PI on the throw to Bryant late in the 4th. BOTH announcers were droning on and on about how it was a horrible call and you have to let them play. Then they showed the slo mo replay and sure enough the defender was holding Bryants left wrist, plain as day. Chuckies response? Well thats in slo mo, you can see anything in slo mo and you need to see it at game speed. :huh:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    SMH. To quote Gruden, it was disgusting.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Gruden was appalling, I agree.

The best analyst I’ve heard all year is Tony Romo. Which was something of a surprise.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I was thoroughly disgusted with both Gruden and McDonough. But, based on what I'm reading in the local media, there is a huge outpouring of outrage about how violent that game was. News flash; every game, every play contains violent collisions. Where is the outrage over hockey? Rodeo? Auto racing? These scribes are becoming increasingly desperate to fill their columns with idealistic drivel. And I tuned ESPN out years ago when they stopped being about sports and started their endless self-promotion.

17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    1/2 agree. The JJSS hit was illegal too. Can't say that I didn't jump up and high five myself (I watched alone :lolol:) when VB got crushed, but it was totally a dirty hit. Lots of penalties and if you go to the Bung's board they're crying a river over it as usual, but the only bad one was the hold that negated the TD which was quickly offset by a bad hold on the KO return.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There was.....the hold on MBs kickoff return for a TD. I don't know how you can say the call on GB was terrible he grabbed Watt around the waist and he was literally a 1/2 a second away from hitting Dalton and at least effecting the throw

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah they did see it in game speed and they called it....he's retarded

20. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You think so? Against the rules- sure. Dirty? Nah. It's not like he twisted his foot trying to injure his ankle after the play or something.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes you're right on the verbiage. IMO dirty is reserved for the outside the lines and after the whistle stuff, it wasn't that.

22. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    And I'm pretty sure Pat Summerall had some blood in his boozesystem in his day!

23. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Who in their right mind would want the Bengals job? No one. Which means you're probably right, Gruden is a perfect fit!

24. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    How about the facemask call that neither of them seemed to notice but the refs did. Then when they showed the replay they stopped it just as the Bungal's hand was getting to the WR (sorry forget who it was, Brown or Bryant I think) and and were like "Well I guess that's enough. Had they played a few more seconds you see the WR's facemask get pulled!

25. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Except for that ridiculous segment where some ex-player (sorry, name escapes me ;)) who ranks the outfits the players are wearing after the game. What is this, football or a fashion show?!