1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Emmanuel Sanders as the Return Man

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TwentyFourSeven, Feb 23, 2012.

1. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers plan to use Emmanuel Sanders as their primary punt and kickoff returner in 2012.
    This is assuming restricted free agent Mike Wallace stays on the roster; Sanders might have to start and focus on offense if Wallace leaves. In his two-year career, Sanders is averaging 24.0 yards per kickoff return and 11.7 yards per punt. This is a note to keep in mind for return-yardage leaguers going forward. Feb 23 - 2:24 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/588 ... el-sanders

2. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I like Brown better as the return man, but naturally as he has become an every down WR we can't have him back there to return.

I wonder if we will use AB for returns in tight situations when we need a big one as other teams do with their dangerous return guys.

3. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They used Holmes that way. Can't see why they wouldn't do the same with Brown.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    let's hope he takes 3 or 4 to the house this year

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Sanders has tremendous upside he is said to be the best route runner of the bunch,but I do still question his durability. That being said I wouldn't mind us taking another WR/return man if someone falls to the 4th or 5th. I really like the two guys from Arkansas, Adams and Wright.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm with you guys. From what I've seen, Sanders might be just as good as brown in space after the catch, but returning punts and kickoffs is different. It requires less shiftiness and more guts. I think he'll do fine, but he won't be special at it. I'm cool with sticking Brown back there on punts once in awhile.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't like it Sanders can't stay healthy his first 2 seasons without playing special teams. How is he going to be the punt and kick returner and the 3rd receiver too brittle injury prone.

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He's been playing some special teams the last two years. Returning sometimes, and on coverage units.

I think his injuries are things he's done on his own. Pulling muscles, hurting his foot. They weren't from contact or games, except the one in the Super Bowl. So I don't know if I'd call him brittle, or suggest playing time has anything to do with it.

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, he didn't get hurt going to the mail box. If he gets injured as you suggest as opposed to contact wouldn't that be the definition of brittle?

I think it's a very rough game and there's a lot of luck and coincidence when it comes to injuries in the game, never mind this league. Sometimes guys like Sanders or Colon have injuries that are so different from each other there is no connection to be made and other times injuries like Pouncey's reoccurring ankle that worry me. Especially when it's a young guy, we have to wait to start over speculating.

(I know, I just used Pouncy, but his is the exact injury)

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay, so he's brittle off-field and not brittle on-field. He's gotten hurt like 5 times off the field and 1 time on it. So I don't think a couple more touches per game will do him in. He'll get hurt or he won't. We can't just not play guys because they might get hurt. That's how you end up with Randel El returning punts with Brown on the bench.

11. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree play the kid for sure. I'm going to have o look up whne he got hurt, because for some reason I'm blanking on him doing it off the field. If so, I stand corrected.

12. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I just hope Sanders can stay healthy for once.He is a good route runner,And we could really use him.

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think he's a little frail to be returning kicks and punts. But we shall see.